Sponsored

All electric household?

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
We had a Y, since replaced by the R1T. It was a terrific car though suspension was a bit too stiff. No rattles and fun to drive. We kept the X as the family hauler on roadtrips. I suspect that the R1T will see the majority of summer road trips though.
Sponsored

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This field needs to be bigger, Iā€™m at 10 carsā€¦
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

This is 100% a question only you can answer.

I have a bunch of ICE cars. My Rivian is my daily. When do I use my ICE cars?
  • When I want an engaging drive, I want to hear an engine rumble and row my own gears and enjoy the challenge of nailing a perfect heel-toe downshift.
  • When Iā€™m going adventuring far off grid. For example, Iā€™m headed to Big Bend in a few weeks. Charging infrastructure is extremely limitedā€” Iā€™d have to sleep at an RV park near the state park to charge. You canā€™t carry a jerry can of electricity with you for a little more range.
Itā€™s also nice having a backup in case of emergency.

MDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, LE R1T
Occupation
Retired Chemical Engineer
Disagree. We have a MYP. I really donā€™t like it. Itā€™s fine for going from point a to b. But, thatā€™s about it. Storage capacity sucks because of the sloped back, fsd isnā€™t worth it at all, suspension/ride comfort is rough, and rattles a lot inside (even after trying to patch them in the door panels). The one thing itā€™s good for is on occasional road trips, superchargers right now are more convenient. But this is going to change over the next few years.
Isn't going from A to B what we all do on most days? No doubt you're a savvy consumer who test drove the Performance Y prior to purchase. Therefore, you knew the ride was mediocre and storage was not to your liking. Perhaps the nimbleness, acceleration, range or charging network won you over? Rattles...I haven't experienced any.

IMO charging is the biggest impediment to widespread EV adoption. Never had a bad experience with NACS. EA, EVGO, ChargePoint, etc. are problematic at best and will be for quite a while.

On the Y over the R1T I look at the value proposition. You can buy two new Ys for one R1T. Here on the West Coast there are quite a few RANs which work well. I wouldn't buy any other CCS EV.

FSD...less than 20% of Tesla owners purchase it. Not worth it at all.....at least we agree on this point.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I hope to eventually go all electric with cars and my house. Just installed a heat pump and love it. Now I need to get a heat pump hot water heater and replace our Toyota Highlander (hopefully with an R2S).

MDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Lol yes, I am aware what is motivating her decision, and I support her.
Of course you do and you should. But most people make vehicle purchases based on economic factors, not political ones. The Y is the fourth best selling car in the world. Projected to pass the F150 this year. Many dislike Musk but my Tesla solar panels, PowerWalls, wall charger and Starlink work great and make my household energy independent while powering two EVs. Other consumers move in a different direction.....c'est la vie.

Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Of course you do and you should. But most people make vehicle purchases based on economic factors, not political ones. The Y is the fourth best selling car in the world. Projected to pass the F150 this year. Many dislike Musk but my Tesla solar panels, PowerWalls, wall charger and Starlink work great and make my household energy independent while powering two EVs. Other consumers move in a different direction.....c'est la vie.
Home Depot is the more economically prudent place to shop, but I go to the neighborhood hardware store instead. Whatever "most people" do isn't necessarily the best thing for a society at large.

The Y is a great car and the supercharger network is enviable, and yet... ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

MDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Home Depot is the more economically prudent place to shop, but I go to the neighborhood hardware store instead. Whatever "most people" do isn't necessarily the best thing for a society at large.

The Y is a great car and the supercharger network is enviable, and yet... ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ
Neighborhood hardware stores...going the way of home milk deliveries and drive-in movies. But keep fighting the good fight, it's futile but noble work. As I said, c'est la vie!

OP
OP
Zeus

Zeus

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord, VW id4
This is 100% a question only you can answer.

I have a bunch of ICE cars. My Rivian is my daily. When do I use my ICE cars?
  • When I want an engaging drive, I want to hear an engine rumble and row my own gears and enjoy the challenge of nailing a perfect heel-toe downshift.
  • When Iā€™m going adventuring far off grid. For example, Iā€™m headed to Big Bend in a few weeks. Charging infrastructure is extremely limitedā€” Iā€™d have to sleep at an RV park near the state park to charge. You canā€™t carry a jerry can of electricity with you for a little more range.
Itā€™s also nice having a backup in case of emergency.
Awesome things to think about. While I enjoy the sounds and screams of an ICE occasionally, it's not enough motivation for me currently. The emergency part does still gives me a reason to want to keep my ICE car for a while though (even though I may not drive it for day).
This is more difficult than I thought. Only certainty for now is that I'm taking delivery of the R1S when my number is called..

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

My wife and I sold our last ICE in 2009. Not a single regret in the 14 years since then. And it's not just like we only drive near home...here's a picture of some of the places we've been in our EVs:

Rivian R1T R1S All electric household? PXL_20210630_021933742

rivian1800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My wife and I sold our last ICE in 2009. Not a single regret in the 14 years since then. And it's not just like we only drive near home...here's a picture of some of the places we've been in our EVs:

PXL_20210630_021933742.jpg
With my R1Tā€¦
PS
I will do Canada šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦ in May/June.

Rivian R1T R1S All electric household? 3E3C6E34-68E8-485A-BFEE-FAA4648F10A5

Last edited:

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Pretty sure a lot of car purchases are more emotional based than economic based. I bought tesla solar panels years ago but I will never buy another Elon product again.

OP
OP
Zeus

Zeus

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord, VW id4

PXL_20210630_021933742.jpg
Wow... 14 years and no regrets while traveling the country. Consider me encouraged.