Sponsored

Alexa, Turn up the heat?

tisodom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent, Toyota Hybrid, Lexus GX
I sure hope that the way to engage voice control will not be by saying 'Alexa'. The FAQs on Rivian indicate this. I most certainly don't want to be telling 'Alexa' commands while I'm driving a Rivian. I understand Amazon's investment in this company, but I'm buying a Rivian, not an Amazon device.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I sure hope that the way to engage voice control will not be by saying 'Alexa'. The FAQs on Rivian indicate this. I most certainly don't want to be telling 'Alexa' commands while I'm driving a Rivian. I understand Amazon's investment in this company, but I'm buying a Rivian, not an Amazon device.
Agreed!

I'm hoping that:
  • Alexa can be disabled, entirely.
  • Alexa can alternatively be summoned by a button on the steering wheel.
  • The function to listen for a keyword (ie: "Alexa" or "Rivian") can be disabled.
  • Rivian supports Siri Eyes Free, so you can choose to summon your phone assistant instead of Alexa.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Amazon has only recently released the capability for car manufacturers to customize the wake word via Alexa Custom Assistant. Perhaps this will be available by the time deliveries start (I personally think this is unlikely) but, if not, it could certainly be rolled out later via OTA update.

https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/...21/01/Amazon-Announces-Alexa-Custom-Assistant

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
There's a video of someone showing off that Alexa can change the car into dark mode so I would hope it can be used for things like temperature. Plus, BMW and Mercedes have keywords like, "I'm cold" and it turns up the temp.

With that said, I am very worried about how Amazon-ed the car is going to be. I really hope I can use Siri by pressing and holding a voice prompt button or saying Hey Siri instead of having to use Alexa which I have no interest in doing.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Amazon has only recently released the capability for car manufacturers to customize the wake word via Alexa Custom Assistant. Perhaps this will be available by the time deliveries start (I personally think this is unlikely) but, if not, it could certainly be rolled out later via OTA update.

https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/...21/01/Amazon-Announces-Alexa-Custom-Assistant
Alexa sometimes responds when I say my daughter's name, and I'm also in the camp of wanting a custom wake word that would be more Rivian-specific.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tisodom

tisodom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent, Toyota Hybrid, Lexus GX

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Just out of curiosity does anyone know if the onboard alexa will have passive listening? I'd hate to have to re-live my conversations in cars through targeted online ads... Hopefully that can be disabled if so.

JEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, 2016 Volvo S60
Occupation
Technical Support
Agreed!

I'm hoping that:
  • Alexa can be disabled, entirely.
  • Alexa can alternatively be summoned by a button on the steering wheel.
  • The function to listen for a keyword (ie: "Alexa" or "Rivian") can be disabled.
  • Rivian supports Siri Eyes Free, so you can choose to summon your phone assistant instead of Alexa.

What's the difference between Alexa and Siri, other than the company that made it ? I turned off Siri on my iPhone and I don't use anything with Alexa. I'll probably try it when I get the truck, but I'm not a fan of voice controls in general.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I have Alexa auto in both of my cars and its fantastic I hope its just as good but also connected to the car. I also like that you say her name as I'm used to that in the home also who ever my passengers are don't think I'm telling them to add Monster to my shopping list. I have also used its jokes and things to talk to like stories or open the door on long boring drives. you can say take me home and she will get you directions to the house. I'm very exited for this and I think a lot of people will be when they experience it.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I have Alexa auto in both of my cars and its fantastic I hope its just as good but also connected to the car. I also like that you say her name as I'm used to that in the home also who ever my passengers are don't think I'm telling them to add Monster to my shopping list. I have also used its jokes and things to talk to like stories or open the door on long boring drives. you can say take me home and she will get you directions to the house. I'm very exited for this and I think a lot of people will be when they experience it.
The ID.4 can do a lot of car features with voice as well. It's handy, particularly in the dark. BUT voice to navigation totally sucks on it. Which is consistent with every car I've driven that uses native nav and voice (didn't try voice to nav in a Tesla). Short of having AA, I'm pretty happy about having Alexa in car for voice processing.

Sponsored

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

I hope it can be disabled complete. I have not seen any vehicle voice assistant work better than just doing it myself.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

The video I watched on you tube yesterday with a couple certain funny guys ;) may have found the little icon on top showed Alexa and if she was on or off. Pretty cool not surprising since all Alexa devices have a mute. I wonder if it will show her blue bar on the dash screen as you ask questions.

giraffesR1T

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, C3 Corvette
Occupation
IT
The video I watched on you tube yesterday with a couple certain funny guys ;) may have found the little icon on top showed Alexa and if she was on or off. Pretty cool not surprising since all Alexa devices have a mute. I wonder if it will show her blue bar on the dash screen as you ask questions.
Im not in the loop with what youre hinting at. Can you drop a link?