Alexa, Turn up the heat?

tisodom

Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent, Toyota Hybrid
I sure hope that the way to engage voice control will not be by saying 'Alexa'. The FAQs on Rivian indicate this. I most certainly don't want to be telling 'Alexa' commands while I'm driving a Rivian. I understand Amazon's investment in this company, but I'm buying a Rivian, not an Amazon device.

Advertisement

CommodoreAmiga

Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Goldwing
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
I sure hope that the way to engage voice control will not be by saying 'Alexa'. The FAQs on Rivian indicate this. I most certainly don't want to be telling 'Alexa' commands while I'm driving a Rivian. I understand Amazon's investment in this company, but I'm buying a Rivian, not an Amazon device.
Agreed!

I'm hoping that:
  • Alexa can be disabled, entirely.
  • Alexa can alternatively be summoned by a button on the steering wheel.
  • The function to listen for a keyword (ie: "Alexa" or "Rivian") can be disabled.
  • Rivian supports Siri Eyes Free, so you can choose to summon your phone assistant instead of Alexa.

electruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo XC60
Amazon has only recently released the capability for car manufacturers to customize the wake word via Alexa Custom Assistant. Perhaps this will be available by the time deliveries start (I personally think this is unlikely) but, if not, it could certainly be rolled out later via OTA update.

https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/...21/01/Amazon-Announces-Alexa-Custom-Assistant

MisterTea

Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
There's a video of someone showing off that Alexa can change the car into dark mode so I would hope it can be used for things like temperature. Plus, BMW and Mercedes have keywords like, "I'm cold" and it turns up the temp.

With that said, I am very worried about how Amazon-ed the car is going to be. I really hope I can use Siri by pressing and holding a voice prompt button or saying Hey Siri instead of having to use Alexa which I have no interest in doing.

skyote

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Amazon has only recently released the capability for car manufacturers to customize the wake word via Alexa Custom Assistant. Perhaps this will be available by the time deliveries start (I personally think this is unlikely) but, if not, it could certainly be rolled out later via OTA update.

https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/...21/01/Amazon-Announces-Alexa-Custom-Assistant
Alexa sometimes responds when I say my daughter's name, and I'm also in the camp of wanting a custom wake word that would be more Rivian-specific.

Advertisement

Advertisement