Sponsored

A2ZEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Tesla MYP, 24' Tesla MSLR
Occupation
A2Z EV | EVSE
When will Tesla and Rivian say it's okay to use your adapter?
We are working with multiple OEMs to be exempted from 3rd party TOUs. We can't say which OEM as it's under NDA but many of them.
We had initial contacts with OEMs since July 2023 and they were the ones to reach out to us.
Most OEMs have all of our prototypes and final versions in hand.
They have tested them and teared them down.
We had feedbacks/recommendations from them around September and improved accordingly. As of now, we are still in contact with multiple OEMs along with at least two pending potential manufacturing contracts.

A lot of things are happening in the background, A LOT.

We would have NEVER launched this product if we were not sure of its safety and if OEMs were concerned about it. Even if UL2252 is not yet released, we have read and studied multiple times the outline, abided by its content and made in-house testing, such as temperature rise where the adapter was for instance exposed to 700A continuously.

We hope to be able to share some good news in the very near future.

We can agree that there are very low quality and dangerous charging adapters without a single temperature sensor switch on the market, it is not the case of our adapters.

We have recall programs, very strict quality controls, everything is documented, absolutely everything.

Thank you.
Sponsored

Lisa & Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20217 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
theoldbaileyplace.com, Escalante, Utah.
Clubs

I’ll wait for the adapter that Rivian sends me. i would use Tesla Superchargers only on long road trips and out of town visits. My back of the envelope calculations suggests it will take lots of Tesla chargers to offset the cost of third party adapters. If getting an adapter immediately pencils out go for it.

bobaurora

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Ordered both A2Z and Lectron a while back. Got A2Z shipping notification this week. I fear that those waiting for the Rivian free adapter are gonna be waiting a while. Hope not... but ask me about my tonneau cover I have been without for 18 months. I fear that Rivian is gonna be more inclined to use the available adapters to entice new sales rather than please existing customers which I understand.

Last edited:

Chris TX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model S, Volt
Clubs

We are working with multiple OEMs to be exempted from 3rd party TOUs. We can't say which OEM as it's under NDA but many of them.
We had initial contacts with OEMs since July 2023 and they were the ones to reach out to us.
We had feedbacks/recommendations from them around September and improved accordingly. As of now, we are still in contact with multiple OEMs along with at least two pending potential manufacturing contracts.

We would have NEVER launched this product if we were not sure of its safety and if OEMs were concerned about it. Even if UL2252 is not yet released, we have read and studied multiple times the outline, abided by its content and made in-house testing, such as temperature rise where the adapter was for instance exposed to 700A continuously.

We can agree that there are very low quality and dangerous charging adapters without a single temperature sensor switch on the market, it is not the case of our adapters.

We have recall programs, very strict quality controls, everything is documented, absolutely everything.

Thank you.
I know Tesla put out an RFP for their NACS adapter and they had several responders. Can you share any feedback as to why these OEMs didn't choose A2Z?

Sponsored

YouKnowWhatsUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 R1T Limestone
Clubs

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I can confirm the A2Z adapter works well.

Thanks for the confirmation. Did you get a chance to check temps and how long did you use the adapter for?

I ordered a Klein Tools IR1 Infrared Thermometer, Digital Laser Gun and will use it to check temps for all three adapters and try to post up a small review.

I don't want to wait for the official charger to show up and just ordered one from A2Z using discount code "RIV" and will use it until the official one shows up.

I also put an order in for the Lectron one and will post up a review on both later.

A2Z EV Link - NACS (Tesla® Supercharger & NACS 3RD PARTY DC CHARGERS) to CCS1 Adapter | 500A | 1000V

Lectron Tesla Supercharger (NACS) to CCS Adapter | Vortex Plug | 500A | 1000V

https://amzn.to/3ToPhjv

Rivian R1T R1S A2Z NACS To CCS1 Adapter Review 1711036370898-5j-png-png-

Rivian R1T R1S A2Z NACS To CCS1 Adapter Review 1711039497290-v2

Last edited:

Engineer

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S QM Adventure, UnderShield and 20" Darks
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I ordered a Klein Tools IR1 Infrared Thermometer, Digital Laser Gun and will use it to check temps for all three adapters and try to post up a small review.
I have a FLIR camera and will take some thermal images as soon as my adapter arrives. Will do the same with the free adapter, but that could take some time.

Also, i just noticed A2Z doesn't charge US tax... so make sure you notify your accountant and file that on your 2024 taxes! :CWL:

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I have a FLIR camera and will take some thermal images as soon as my adapter arrives. Will do the same with the free adapter, but that could take some time.

Also, i just noticed A2Z doesn't charge US tax... so make sure you notify your accountant and file that on your 2024 taxes! :CWL:

Thanks for the heads-up on taxes ;) and thanks for taking time to take thermal images for us.

That will be much better than my $35 Klein thermometer readings.

Sponsored

Citrinite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Thanks for the confirmation. Did you get a chance to check temps and how long did you use the adapter for?

I did two tests (not very comprehensive). Both were relatively short. I didn't have a temp sensor but both times the adapter was cool to the touch. I didn't have time to drive around to get my battery to a lower state of charge for more ideal testing.

The first was with the battery starting around 56% and little preconditioning. I think the SuperCharger was derated because it maxed at 28 kw/h. Interestingly there was a Tesla tech there who was asking me about it since he was the guy who swapped much of the hardware to make charging for non-Tesla vehicles work.

The second test was later at a different location with longer pre-conditioning. The battery was around 52% (if I recall correctly) starting. I charged for around 7-8 minutes and was hitting expected speeds (over 150kwh). I added 16kwh in 7 minutes (according the Rivian app). Keep in mind the battery was above 50% at the start of the charge so it wouldn't hit max speeds.

So in my limited testing the adapter worked well.

Last edited:

richpike

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover D5, Jeep JL, R1S

I'm happy to do some thermal images when mine arrives too (not as nice as a FLIR, but still pretty cool IMHO).

-Rich

ddimit

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S, Ford f150 lightning
Occupation
Tech manager
Clubs

Toms review of all the adapters .

Sagesq

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Attorney
Clubs

Thank you.
Just to confirm, we can still use the regular adapter to charge with a Tesla charger, just not at a supercharging facility, correct? We can still use the old adapter that we have, we just can’t expect it’s a supercharge, correct?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Just to confirm, we can still use the regular adapter to charge with a Tesla charger, just not at a supercharging facility, correct? We can still use the old adapter that we have, we just can’t expect it’s a supercharge, correct?
By regular adapter you mean the AC adapter? If so then yes you can continue to use those on L2 AC chargers.
Sponsored