Sponsored

A Rivian buyer got his dream car after a 3-year wait. Days later, the car was dead and he faced a $2,100 bill.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Okay, they made it sound like rivian charged him $2100 for the repair. It was because he had his vehicle towed to the service center. I love that we live in a world where your mistakes are really everyone else’s (sarcasm)
I read online that Rivian agreed to reimburse the $2100 towing fee. Guess too much negative PR.
Sponsored

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
Need to get Chat GPT to summarize this thread and publish as an article with title “Business Insider are un-American - don’t believe in personal responsibility”

87Ducks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T,
Saw a similar story where an R1T was high centered with no rubber making contact and somehow it was a vehicle defect. I always wonder if Ford & GM are behind these stories.

Nix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No Dox
This reminds me of Jeep owners who high center on medians because they don't understand physics. If you buy a 4X4 (any brand) don't be this guy!! :facepalm:

The internet is full to overflowing capacity of 4X4 owners who over-estimate their own off-roading skills and under-estimate the consequences of their errors.

Oh, and if you buy a flashy Mustang, don't crash it spinning the tires coming out of a cars and coffee meet up.

Rivian R1T R1S A Rivian buyer got his dream car after a 3-year wait. Days later, the car was dead and he faced a $2,100 bill. tnizwerp3e221

Last edited:

Sponsored

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Look I took a brand new vehicle into a dangerous situation, made the situation more dangerous by trying to force my will onto the vehicle and it is the manufactures fault. Don't they know I am a moron who couldn't find my a$$ with a flashlight and a map.... wait they gave me a flashlight, now where is the map?

jim m

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
grand cherokee audie q7
Occupation
retired
Ive been waiting a year for my R1S , thats ok. Ive read the owners guide and watched countless videos on how it operates. Im told thats being anal, thats ok too. Would rather be a knowledgeable owner and not get into trouble like this guy. This guy has way too much money and not enough sense.This is like a guy coming up to a road covered in flood water and deciding to cross. Then wonders why his car floated away and he needed be rescued.

graemebshaw

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rubicon 392
Occupation
Consultant and investor
I think you guys are all being a little harsh. Admittedly, it was user-error and Rivian is not to blame. But the vast majority of car owners do not read the manual. And many potential buyers of Rivian SUV's have likely never been towed nor will likely tow anything, so being aware of a "towing mode" should not be expected (even if it is advisable). I just don't think it's fair to insult him (or his brother) based on the limited content of an internet-news article.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
How did this get enough attention to turn in to a news article. What a joke this is....and people that don't know enough will see the negative spin against Rivian and run with it. Thats unfortunate.
Seeing this even more lately. Supposedly reputable news sources trying to translate what they read in a forum into a 500 word “article”. I can’t believe Rivian even commented on this garbage and gave the guy his money back for the tow. He’s lucky they didn’t charge him for the repairs require he attend off road driving school before they gave it back to him.
Because his brother is a VC investor who misleadingly bitched about it online and I'm assuming pitched the experience to media. As others have noted, he misued the vehicle while towing it, caused problems, and then didn't want to owe up to his own mistake.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Sooo, to sum the article:

- Buyer was 21 when he placed a deposit on a $86k vehicle. MMMkay.

- Owner drove into 2 1/2’ of snow, which would strand most vehicles

- Said 2 1/2’ of snow looked like it was heavy, consolidated, refrozen thick snow from Upstate NY. It certainly wasn’t light and fresh based on no snow in the surrounding trees. This would strand virtually any vehicle

- Despite above noob owner and operator abilities, buyer and his overly paid brother determine to blame the manufacturer for owner’s incompetence

Good luck with your Tacoma, bonehead.
And they didn’t put the truck in tow mode. When the driver unbuckled his belt and lifted himself off of the chair, the car put itself in park (standard safety measure). Which the driver claims should never have happened, and is a fault of Rivian of putting in that measure.

I mean, these are rich people who think nothing is ever their fault and always the blame of others.

And of course, leave it trash Business Insider to write this for the clickbait whore it is
Don't forget to mention that after it went into park he didn't seem to tell the person towing him and continued to drag it while in park.

This wasn't just a single mistake, it was a cascading events of not reading the manual, not having common sense, not communicating, the recovering person not doing their job and understanding how to tow a specific vehicle, and then a rich brat using his social media presence to publicly complain for his brother being unwilling to accept he screwed up.
I think you guys are all being a little harsh. Admittedly, it was user-error and Rivian is not to blame. But the vast majority of car owners do not read the manual. And many potential buyers of Rivian SUV's have likely never been towed nor will likely tow anything, so being aware of a "towing mode" should not be expected (even if it is advisable). I just don't think it's fair to insult him (or his brother) based on the limited content of an internet-news article.
He had someone tow him without checking how to do it. That's on both the owner and the person doing the recovery. He proceeded to see the vehile react poorly and continue to pull the truck out. His VC brother then went to social media to publicly complain because they didn't want admit they made a mistake. Could the logic in the vehicle be better? Sure. But the humans made several mistakes and proceeded to behave like rich enabled brats. That's my issue with this. If they had been like "man, this sucks, the logic needs refined but I screwed up" I would be a hell of a lot more gracious about it.

Taylor's investment profile and... how to put this... glowing review of everything Chinese while living in China doesn't help make him seem particularly trustworthy in combination with him ignoring significant details like that a tow mode exists for the truck.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Because his brother is a VC investor who misleadingly bitched about it online and I'm assuming pitched the experience to media. As others have noted, he misued the vehicle while towing it, caused problems, and then didn't want to owe up to his own mistake.
So tired of these people.😣

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
I'm sorry, you are a complete moron if you don't take 10min to read the manual of the $90K vehicle you purchased, which BTW is a completely unique, one-of-a-kind electric truck with 4 independent motors. There's even a whole section titled RIVIAN TOW OPERATOR GUIDE. I mean not knowing how to drive off road or in snow is one thing, but not reading the manual or even then just calling Rivian Support if you STILL don't know WTF you're doing....there really is no excuse. And it's irrelevant what percentage of other owners are also morons.

Then you go on twitter and tag not only Rivian, but the CEO RJ Scaringe, like a whiny little b1tch...because you're a moron and expect the company to bail you out. All while you're a VC and "advisor" backing a competing vehicle. Not only super weak but actually looks super questionable / shady.

IMO this dude and his brother are the worst part of our society. Best case: completely inept and incompetent at basic life...and yet entitled and self righteous enough to try and blame their f ups on someone else. Worst case: the whole thing is a fabricated smear campaign and they are super shady.

Either way they are complete f'ing morons.

Last edited:

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
This dude's brother is a hedge fund dipshit who's probably trying to manipulate Rivian's stock price.

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
Someone mentioned he’s reading the manual before he even has the truck…. Where did he find it?

edit. Never mind. I found it. Should try before I ask lol
Sponsored