Sponsored

A Rivian buyer got his dream car after a 3-year wait. Days later, the car was dead and he faced a $2,100 bill.

graemebshaw

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rubicon 392
Occupation
Consultant and investor
I'm sorry, you are a complete moron if you don't take 10min to read the manual of the $90K vehicle you purchased, which BTW is a completely unique, one-of-a-kind electric truck with 4 independent motors. There's even a whole section titled RIVIAN TOW OPERATOR GUIDE. I mean not knowing how to drive off road or in snow is one thing, but not reading the manual or even then just calling Rivian Support if you STILL don't know WTF you're doing....there really is no excuse. And it's irrelevant what percentage of other owners are also morons.

Then you go on twitter and tag not only Rivian, but the CEO RJ Scaringe, like a whiny little b1tch...because you're a moron and expect the company to bail you out. All while you're a VC and "advisor" backing a competing vehicle. Not only super weak but actually looks super questionable / shady.

IMO this dude and his brother are the worst part of our society. Best case: completely inept and incompetent at basic life...and yet entitled and self righteous enough to try and blame their f ups on someone else. Worst case: the whole thing is a fabricated smear campaign and they are super shady.

Either way they are complete f'ing morons.
Wow, you guys are a tough crowd! I was just trying to give a stranger (to me) the benefit of doubt, and generally be nicer to people, especially on line.

FWIW, I rarely read the entire manual before driving a new car, although I may read it shortly thereafter. Many people on this forum are, by definition, very interested in the Rivian as something beyond a means of transportation. I assume many early adopters fit that mold. However, I also assume that if Rivian are to be successful long term, they will need to be prepared for customers that are less self-motivated to learn about the vehicle. I know plenty of neighbors who own Teslas that barely understand the basics of a charging curve or the difference between DCFC and a level 2 charger. I don't think those people are "incompetent at basic life"... they just have other interests. But anyway, I'm not trying to argue. Quite the opposite, I am trying to be nice.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm sorry, you are a complete moron if you don't take 10min to read the manual of the $90K vehicle you purchased, which BTW is a completely unique, one-of-a-kind electric truck with 4 independent motors. There's even a whole section titled RIVIAN TOW OPERATOR GUIDE. I mean not knowing how to drive off road or in snow is one thing, but not reading the manual or even then just calling Rivian Support if you STILL don't know WTF you're doing....there really is no excuse. And it's irrelevant what percentage of other owners are also morons.

Then you go on twitter and tag not only Rivian, but the CEO RJ Scaringe, like a whiny little b1tch...because you're a moron and expect the company to bail you out. All while you're a VC and "advisor" backing a competing vehicle. Not only super weak but actually looks super questionable / shady.

IMO this dude and his brother are the worst part of our society. Best case: completely inept and incompetent at basic life...and yet entitled and self righteous enough to try and blame their f ups on someone else. Worst case: the whole thing is a fabricated smear campaign and they are super shady.

Either way they are complete f'ing morons.
I think you're partly to blame here because of your profile picture of a truck driving through 3 feet of pow ;)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

FWIW, I rarely read the entire manual before driving a new car, although I may read it shortly thereafter.
My delivery guy last week went over the fact that the truck has the manual in a searchable format, but maybe the delivery guy helping this person went too fast or skipped it. It's really easy to find the information here. Honestly no excuse.

Rivian R1T R1S A Rivian buyer got his dream car after a 3-year wait. Days later, the car was dead and he faced a $2,100 bill. 1679921541433

Rivian R1T R1S A Rivian buyer got his dream car after a 3-year wait. Days later, the car was dead and he faced a $2,100 bill. 1679921573444

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Wow, you guys are a tough crowd! I was just trying to give a stranger (to me) the benefit of doubt, and generally be nicer to people, especially on line.

FWIW, I rarely read the entire manual before driving a new car, although I may read it shortly thereafter. Many people on this forum are, by definition, very interested in the Rivian as something beyond a means of transportation. I assume many early adopters fit that mold. However, I also assume that if Rivian are to be successful long term, they will need to be prepared for customers that are less self-motivated to learn about the vehicle. I know plenty of neighbors who own Teslas that barely understand the basics of a charging curve or the difference between DCFC and a level 2 charger. I don't think those people are "incompetent at basic life"... they just have other interests. But anyway, I'm not trying to argue. Quite the opposite, I am trying to be nice.
Nice is fine, naive is not. I wouldn’t even give this kid any grief if he didnt Have this hit piece written about the Rivian at I’m sure the behest of his hedge fund brother. People who are destroying decent companies to make a profit because they are too stupid or lazy to actually provide value to this world.

This 24 year old entitled little shit needs a few life lessons instead of just blaming everyone else for his problems. Daddy bought him his Rivian and the first thing he decided to do was wreck it. The next thing was to blame it on someone else.

I don’t see any point in being nice to someone like that.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
My delivery guy last week went over the fact that the truck has the manual in a searchable format, but maybe the delivery guy helping this person went too fast or skipped it. It's really easy to find the information here. Honestly no excuse.

1679921541433.png

1679921573444.png
That guy doesn’t exactly seem like the listening type.

Sponsored

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW

Everyone gets the benefit of the doubt...in person or online.....until they do something to remove all doubt, like these two clowns did. I think you just didn't' have all the information/background.

I think you also are trying to draw a connection between "early adopters" and common sense. Remove 'Rivian' and replace with 'Ford', remove 'electric motors' and replace with 'locking hubs' or 'tire chains' and it is no different. These are just common sense things you should know if you are going to use the vehicle in a manner that could get you stranded or lead to a difficult and costly recovery.

If you own a house and you don't know how to turn off the water or reset a breaker....very basic things that any owner should know AND can be discovered with a minimal amount of effort, then yes I consider you incompetent at basic life.

xnuywkr

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Executive Coach
Are those street tires he tried in 30 inches of snow? And then "he accidentally triggered a safety feature that got the car stuck between the park and drive gears."

but Rivian is the problem... it sounds to me the problem was between the steering wheel and the seat.

A Rivian buyer got his dream car after a 3-year wait. Days later, the car was dead and he faced a $2,100 bill.
I wrote the write and said that when you drive stupidly, you’ll break the vehicle. Totally not a Rivian issue but funny how it becomes one. I also told him that I have an Audi Q8 that’s had many more recalls and service issue than the Rivian but we don’t hear about that. Funny…

CascadianApe

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Ops
Not every owner has had a good time dealing with Rivian. They've treated a lot of us like absolute garbage. Took me over a year to get them to take my safety issue with suspension and axles serious. I feel for this guy and personally am on his side. Rivian has GARBAGE customer service and the SSOC has zero industry knowledge.

Communications are terrible and should be Rivian's number one focus. Screw hitting numbers you need to make existing customers happy. I know several people who have sold because the service and communications were so bad. Maybe this is unique to the PNW, but it's hard to get 6 different stories on your car and try to keep it all straight!

Just being realistic here. I know people on here are going to hate me for being a realist, but Rivian has some serious room for improvement!!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Not every owner has had a good time dealing with Rivian. They've treated a lot of us like absolute garbage. Took me over a year to get them to take my safety issue with suspension and axles serious. I feel for this guy and personally am on his side. Rivian has GARBAGE customer service and the SSOC has zero industry knowledge.

Communications are terrible and should be Rivian's number one focus. Screw hitting numbers you need to make existing customers happy. I know several people who have sold because the service and communications were so bad. Maybe this is unique to the PNW, but it's hard to get 6 different stories on your car and try to keep it all straight!

Just being realistic here. I know people on here are going to hate me for being a realist, but Rivian has some serious room for improvement!!
And issue like what you are describing and what the two brothers had are two totally different things. The owner "broke" the vehicle due to his own negligence and his rich brother used his clout to bitch online about it until Rivian refunded him a towing fee.

If you get your truck stuck in a bunch of snow, and then you proceed to break it because you didn't tow it correctly, are you going to complain that Rivian didn't tow it back and fix it for free for you? I kind of doubt it.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I guess after seeing this I realized I don't know the proper protocol to get un-stuck.. the only section in the manual I see is the tow section, so selecting 'park brake release' and keep the wheel straight is what you all would do in this situation? and let the vehicle pull you out?

When I have helped pull people out in the past they would go in reverse (assuming I am pulling from the rear) to try to 'help' get out.. I would have expected to do that too but I can see how the 'lifting off the seat' auto-park feature could complicate it if your rear camera is dirty and you are trying to see out the back window. The manual definitely states not to drag the truck while in park.

It would be great if there was a 'recovery' section in the off-road portion of the guide, but they probably don't want to advise owners on recovery to avoid liability if it goes wrong.

Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
The part I'm confused by is how in the world did this guy manage to talk to anyone at Rivian who didn't put him through the "did you try our 3 different resets?"

I can't report a single issue to Rivian without being asked "did you reset it".

I'm also confused by how anyone in their 20's doesn't automatically go to an internet forum to get help.

When my Camper Van was rear ended it (while parked) it was left immobile due to CAN bus errors. I went straight to the internet for help and the combination of my own thinking along with suggestions got me going that morning. I cut the wires to remove the short in the CAN bus (at the tail light where the blindspot sensor were) and that removed the short.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The part I'm confused by is how in the world did this guy manage to talk to anyone at Rivian who didn't put him through the "did you try our 3 different resets?"

I can't report a single issue to Rivian without being asked "did you reset it".

I'm also confused by how anyone in their 20's doesn't automatically go to an internet forum to get help.

When my Camper Van was rear ended it (while parked) it was left immobile due to CAN bus errors. I went straight to the internet for help and the combination of my own thinking along with suggestions got me going that morning. I cut the wires to remove the short in the CAN bus (at the tail light where the blindspot sensor were) and that removed the short.
Given the partial truths told by he and his brother so far, I wouldn't assume he is telling the truth when he claims it wasn't suggested.

That being said I'm sure Rivian can listen to their customer service calls and I doubt they would have paid this joker anything if the service rep had done their job properly. This guy and his brother are just clowns who are experts in yelling loudly into the internet when things don't go their way.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I guess after seeing this I realized I don't know the proper protocol to get un-stuck.. the only section in the manual I see is the tow section, so selecting 'park brake release' and keep the wheel straight is what you all would do in this situation? and let the vehicle pull you out?

When I have helped pull people out in the past they would go in reverse (assuming I am pulling from the rear) to try to 'help' get out.. I would have expected to do that too but I can see how the 'lifting off the seat' auto-park feature could complicate it if your rear camera is dirty and you are trying to see out the back window. The manual definitely states not to drag the truck while in park.

It would be great if there was a 'recovery' section in the off-road portion of the guide, but they probably don't want to advise owners on recovery to avoid liability if it goes wrong.
They should implement a fail safe where it doesn't try to stick the truck into park when moving. I'm thinking a parent reaching back to grab something from a kid and the truck freaking out.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

They should implement a fail safe where it doesn't try to stick the truck into park when moving. I'm thinking a parent reaching back to grab something from a kid and the truck freaking out.
Autopark is the failsafe. It's protecting against someone repositioning themselves and accidentally leading to the accelerator getting planted.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Autopark is the failsafe. It's protecting against someone repositioning themselves and accidentally leading to the accelerator getting planted.
but that's not a failsafe when you're moving...
Sponsored