Sponsored

"A" Post Grab Handle

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
An a-pillar handle is extremely helpful for those that are altitude challenged. Our Jeep has a 3.5” lift and 37” tires. My 5’4” wife easily gets in and out because of the a-pillar handle. She has a much harder time getting into our former R1T at standard height. The ceiling handle is kinda worthless for this.

You’re right but kneel mode takes time and it puts more wear and tear on the air suspension. That wear and tear is why I don’t use it.
Is it really that much more wear an tear than the constant height adjustment and general cycling through the range of motion happening when driving?

it would be useful to see that quantified somehow.

preseently I have a car with rear load levelling air suspension. It drops to a lower height when parked to aid in loading. This is not a setting, there is no option. It just happens every time the car is parked and locked.
So it’s not like this is unique to Rivian
Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
What is the point of this handle and who does it benefit? Seems like an odd request to me but thats why I am asking a genuine question. Does it help some people enter the vehicle?
I'm tall enough to easily get in and out (even without my steps) but still want a grab handle in the A-pillar location. My RAM 1500 came with this and our JK wranglers were modified to add a handle. This makes it possible to get in and out without having to slide across the seat or put all your weight on the outside seat bolster. This has definitely helped keep seat wear to a minimum.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

A-Pillar grab handle is pretty standard on all teh trucks.

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

Now that we have been driving Opel (our R1T) for several months, we have decided that there is another accessory that we would find very useful. We have already added running boards which we have found to be great for ingress and egress to and from the truck. We think that a grab handle on the inside "A" post between the door and the windshield would be a very useful accessory.

The "A" post on Opal seems quite sturdy. Our only question is can we safely drill a couple of small holes into the "A" post to mount a grab handle with self-tapping screws?

Brian
There is a air bag in there. At least my R1S has one. The top of the panel has a bungee cord type loop that prevents removing the top of the panel completely. I could not figure out how to release it, and I assume it holds the panel in place if the bag deploys. My Tundra had a grab handle there, but I think it was anchored into the metal.

My wife has trouble getting in the S so I was thinking about either a loop hanging from the existing roof grab, or one of these type handles.

https://www.amazon.com/Ansevo-Multifunction-Portable-Handicap-Pregnant/dp/B0C4Y7ZDMK/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1MSX8YQOB7RUY&keywords=car+door+handle+assist&qid=1689544900&sprefix=car+door+handle+assist,aps,127&sr=8-6

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Is the hasp on the frame meant to take a lot of downward force? Looks like that would create a significant moment arm relative to the amount of torque it could handle.

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Their team felt that kneel mode would be good enough to allow easy entry to the vehicle.
All that education and they were still wrong.

I'm assuming the education because I can't imagine any of that design team not having a bachelors degree at a minimum.

I have an exceptionally short wire and a nearly wheelchair bound father and both would have benefitted from a grab handle on the A pillar.

teddyang

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adeventure Edition, RB, BM, 21"
Clubs

lol i mean a design choice is a design choice. i don't think there's a right or wrong answer.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
You could put one of these each side on the inside of the windshield. 🤣 🤡

Amazon has them in a bunch of different colors blue, yellow, red, white, black....

Only slightly more seriously, a handle attached with superglue (like a rear view mirror) might be an option if you are desparate? Not my thing, but.... it's a possible solution.

Rivian R1T R1S "A" Post Grab Handle 1689632420265

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

This question was actually asked at an event in the Venice Hub with the Chief Design Officer Jeff Hammoud. He said the omission of a grab handle was a design choice, because if they were to integrate a grab handle on the A pillar it would have to be made of injection molded plastic and they would not be able to use the same materials they currently used to wrap the a pillar. Their team felt that kneel mode would be good enough to allow easy entry to the vehicle.
not sure im buying that explanation. you cant kneel the vehicle in certain offroad situations so you'd have issues getting in and out so even more reason to have an A pillar grab handle.
and if it was a decision based on form over function, that was a mistake. should have chosen function. who cares that that material is alcantara?

Last edited:

teddyang

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adeventure Edition, RB, BM, 21"
Clubs

not sure im buying that explanation. you cant kneel the vehicle in offroad situations so you'd have issues getting in and out and could be harder so even more reason to have an A pillar grab handle.
and if it was a decision based on form over function, that was a mistake. should have chosen function. who cares that that material is alcantara?
i'm just quoting what was said. *shrug*

Sponsored

Si.LE.R1S

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S Launch Edition, ‘20 eTron Chronos Edition
Clubs

oh my bad, i wasn't directing that at you but at Rivian. they the "bad guys" here 😉
I’m wondering if the same designers also thought the truck needs 7 wiper settings, including an Auto setting that really means Off.

Sacagawea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper, Harley
I’m wondering if the same designers also thought the truck needs 7 wiper settings, including an Auto setting that really means Off.

Saw this "kit" with both front and back grab handles for Jeep. Was thinking of using the one designated for the back on the Rivian R1T for the front. Could the "handle" that's above the door on the driver's side be switched out for this? Would have to do some additional measurements but since Rivian already put a type of handle there and holes have already been drilled; wouldn't be disturbing any wiring or air bag.

Rivian R1T R1S "A" Post Grab Handle 1708126769749

Si.LE.R1S

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S Launch Edition, ‘20 eTron Chronos Edition
Clubs

Don’t think it would
Saw this "kit" with both front and back grab handles for Jeep. Was thinking of using the one designated for the back on the Rivian R1T for the front. Could the "handle" that's above the door on the driver's side be switched out for this? Would have to do some additional measurements but since Rivian already put a type of handle there and holes have already been drilled; wouldn't be disturbing any wiring or air bag.

1708126769749.png
Not sure swapping it out would achieve much. It’s the awkward placement that make the current handle kind of non-functional. If you swap it for something that sticks out more, you’d probably hit you head on it getting in and out.

Rivian R1T R1S "A" Post Grab Handle IMG_6018

Sacagawea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper, Harley
Rivian R1T R1S "A" Post Grab Handle 1708127236188

Don’t think it would

Not sure swapping it out would achieve much. It’s the awkward placement that make the current handle kind of non-functional. If you swap it for something that sticks out more, you’d probably hit you head on it getting in and out.

IMG_6018.jpeg
Guess I was hoping it would be closer to the visor. I'll have to keep looking.
Sponsored