A/C Performance

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The ultimate question is whether the A/C can keep the cabin comfortable while driving very fast uphil throgh the desert on a hot day with a headwind. If it can handle that it can handle anything.
My experience this week with temps 100 to 120 is a resounding yes.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
How fast were you going? How strong was the headwind? Grade?

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yes, I am hoping they have continued improvements in the software to make the interior climate system better. The last update allowed the ability to move air flow direction when in AUTO mode (which seems rudimentary) and just that makes a difference. The problem I have is passengers notice the compressor and wonder if there is something wrong.

noworyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T
Being that it is the first very hot day in MI with heat index around 98 degrees, I noticed a new level of noise the compressor makes. I did notice the compressor in the past (I think it is the compressor) in the middle area of the hood near the windshield/hood seam is where the noise seemed to originate. When you now unlock the truck and stand outside while the truck cools it is a significant spool up of the compressor and quite loud. Quieter on the inside but still noticeable over the blowing air. Normal? Maybe I am just hyper conscious of new noises, etc.
l’m in Arizona and have the same noise from the compressor. I think it’s abnormal how loud it is - we can hear it through the music and feel vibrations on the pedals and steering wheel. Took it to the service center but they say there is nothing abnormal. Cools fine in front a bit warmer in back - they are sill figuring it out. I’ve compared the noise with another R1T in the area and similiar noise from compressor after unlock but not as loud as mine. I could have lived with it until I heard it at 75mph on the fwy - now the sound is taking the pleasure out of the drive!!

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

My Model X has a similarly loud compressor. I think it's more of an EV thing by not having engine noise to cover up the compressor noise, or needing to use a different type of compressor than those used on ICE vehicles.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
l’m in Arizona and have the same noise from the compressor. I think it’s abnormal how loud it is - we can hear it through the music and feel vibrations on the pedals and steering wheel. Took it to the service center but they say there is nothing abnormal.
I assume it is a scroll compressor turned by a motor on VFD so it should indeed make more noise under heavy load but those things are pretty smooth and feeling vibrations from it does not strike me as being normal. I'd keep after the SC.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Yes, I am hoping they have continued improvements in the software to make the interior climate system better. The last update allowed the ability to move air flow direction when in AUTO mode (which seems rudimentary) and just that makes a difference. The problem I have is passengers notice the compressor and wonder if there is something wrong.
I am hoping for an auto mode that actually moves vent positions like an oscillating fan. I rode in a Lexus once that had that, an older LS400 I think, and it was pretty sweet. Wear and tear on actuators would be only concern.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
How fast were you going? How strong was the headwind? Grade?
2000 mile trip from Bay area to Las Vegas to Tucson and same route back. Highway speeds ranged from 70 to 85 mph set on cruise control. Strong winds on the vegas to Tucson leg.
Rivian R1T R1S A/C Performance B8F22E18-56BD-4B30-B1E0-1F2FC361A698

Bay Area to Vegas

Rivian R1T R1S A/C Performance 5C4D4F90-55E1-4F94-BDA6-C827312CE0ED

Vegas to Tucson

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
For those of you who have your trucks and are in the area of the country under the heat dome, how is the AC performance? Is it cold or is it struggling to keep up?
The A/C on mine is not keeping up. I first got the truck when the temp was in the low 80's outside, it was barely adequate, if it was in recirc mode. Now its in the mid 90's, and needs help. The air only ever feels just slightly cooler than ambient coming out of the vents, never at temps I would call cool or cold.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
My Model X has a similarly loud compressor.
I'd look into that. When i am standing next to the car (MX) and it is cooling I can hear the fans but nothing that I would identify as coming from the compressor.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The A/C on mine is not keeping up. I first got the truck when the temp was in the low 80's outside, it was barely adequate, if it was in recirc mode. Now its in the mid 90's, and needs help. The air only ever feels just slightly cooler than ambient coming out of the vents, never at temps I would call cool or cold.
Time for a service call....

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
2000 mile trip from Bay area to Las Vegas to Tucson and....
Thanks!

It seems that the A/C is adequately sized to cover up to (WAG) the 95th %-ile or so. But there are quite a few reports of insufficient cooling under conditions far less demanding. The people that report that have broken (or insufficiently charged) systems and need to take this up wth service.

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
I am hoping for an auto mode that actually moves vent positions like an oscillating fan. I rode in a Lexus once that had that, an older LS400 I think, and it was pretty sweet. Wear and tear on actuators would be only concern.
Had one - total gemmick that did nothing to help cool the car đź‘Ž

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I'd look into that. When i am standing next to the car and it is cooling I can hear the fans but nothing that I would identify as coming from the compressor.
I don't know if it's specifically just the compressor or just fan noise, but it sounds like a jet engine getting ready to take off when needing to cool at full power. It's been like this the whole time I've owned the car. I've reported it to service and they claim it is normal. It only becomes a nuisance during the hottest months of the year. It sounds like the same thing people are reporting from the R1T and I wouldn't be surprised if Rivian service also reports it is normal.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
The AC in mine is plenty cold. I thought it was a little weak in high heat this week and then I realized I hadn't selected "auto" mode and suddenly it blasted the cabin with super chilled air. I haven't touched it sense and so far I think it's all working well.

The software controlled vents, on the other hand, are indefensible. There is no way that this system is better than just giving us a little knob to reach over and reposition a vent when you want too. I hate them.
Sponsored