5 Tire Rotation, who's doing it?

RivnSoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, ZHP, R1T, E36 M3
Occupation
Tax payer
I'm planning on doing 5 tire rotation, might as well use the spare. Anyone already doing it? If so, at what intervals?
From tire rack:

Rivian R1T R1S 5 Tire Rotation, who's doing it? tireRotation_3
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I will be doing a 5-tire rotation. If you have a full-size spare with matching wheel it would be silly not to!

I usually rotate every 5k on my vehicles. Absent a specific reason to deviate, I'll do the same with my R1T.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I did the 5 last week. Errantly used the FWD version of that...but figure probably just fine since these things do a fair amount of front tire pulling. 5k miles. And word of caution....wheel/tire is HEAVY!

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
I"m also planning on rotating all 5 every 5,000 miles or so. Does anybody know if this is a service that Rivian provides?

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm planning to rotate all 5, probably more like 7,500 miles. Question: does anyone recommend any additional equipment to make the process easier, or is the provided jack that comes with the spare all you need?

I've never had to rotate my own tires before because I've always just had it done when I get an oil change (first time EV owner here).

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm planning to rotate all 5, probably more like 7,500 miles. Question: does anyone recommend any additional equipment to make the process easier, or is the provided jack that comes with the spare all you need?
If you are doing a 5-tire rotation, technically the included jack is sufficient.

If you are doing 4-tire rotations, then you'd need more, since you'd have to have two wheels off at one time, which the included jack doesn't support.

That said, I am going to use a floor jack, rather than the included jack. The included jack is good for carrying around for emergencies, but they're a "last-resort" product, imo. A quality shop jack is preferable when you can control the environment/circumstances. To use a normal shop/floor jack you'll need a suitable "puck" such as this: https://evsportline.com/products/ri...lifting-jack-pad-pucks?variant=40424725512332

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
My memory could be wrong, but aren't the tires that come with the truck directional?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I did mine as below at 6500 miles, will be due again when I get back to Oregon.

Spare —> DF
DF —> PR
PR —> PF
PF —> DR
DR —> Spare

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I did mine as below at 6500 miles, will be due again when I get back to Oregon.

Spare —> DF
DF —> PR
PR —> PF
PF —> DR
DR —> Spare
Just had a chat with service and, while the agent didn't give me the full pattern, he specifically mentioned that the spare would go to the front driver's side like you have shown. I had them add that to my work order for next week.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Just had a chat with service and, while the agent didn't give me the full pattern, he specifically mentioned that the spare would go to the front driver's side like you have shown. I had them add that to my work order for next week.
Well that is a happy accident. Figured the front tires had more wear so the tread on the rear tires would be a better match.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RivnSoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, ZHP, R1T, E36 M3
Occupation
Tax payer
My memory could be wrong, but aren't the tires that come with the truck directional?
The 21s, since I'm looking at them right now, are not directional.

I'm planning on doing mine at 7500 since the tire is a 600 tread wear. I saw some reviews on Tirerack that they won't last much past 30k. It's all good, gotta pay to play!

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Does the manual state to rotate the tires. Our Volvo and my parents BMW manual specifically state not to rotate the tires. Volvo is clear that the front's will wear faster, and interestingly enough, they address the fact that the tread depth will become significantly different from front to back as a positive, because the added depth at back "will reduce oversteer" (as if the XC had any to begin with).

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Some vehicles have different sizes of tires front and rear. My 2010 Camaro was that way and you couldn't rotate them. Perelli recommends rotating every 5-8k miles, however.
Sponsored