22's vs. 20's - In depth discussion.

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
Not the greatest reviews on Tirerack for the 22" Pirelli P Zero. Don't know if changes in the EV version would address some of the concerns.
Sponsored

SecretService

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Granite R1T with 22ā€ black wheels
Occupation
New home sales
Iā€™m surprised itā€™s not here already but hereā€™s a photo of my dark 22ā€ wheels. The look in person absolutely ended the conversation for me. They just look SOO much better imo than the other options and it wasnā€™t even close..

My original thought was the range reduction would bother me a lot over time. Each day might not be a big deal but a lot of my commutes are near the 200-250 miles in a day range and the risk of having to stop at some point during my trip to charge just because of a wheel/tire choice annoyed me. Again though, the decision maker for me was the looks. I liked them so much especially letting the caliper peek out that Iā€™ll happily hunt down a set of off-road tires/wheels if I feel the need to go somewhere my 22s wonā€™t let me lol.

Rivian R1T R1S 22's vs. 20's - In depth discussion. 99D03C1F-1139-432D-B1BD-33AFDCF51B61

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Iā€™m surprised itā€™s not here already but hereā€™s a photo of my dark 22ā€ wheels. The look in person absolutely ended the conversation for me. They just look SOO much better imo than the other options and it wasnā€™t even close..

My original thought was the range reduction would bother me a lot over time. Each day might not be a big deal but a lot of my commutes are near the 200-250 miles in a day range and the risk of having to stop at some point during my trip to charge just because of a wheel/tire choice annoyed me. Again though, the decision maker for me was the looks. I liked them so much especially letting the caliper peek out that Iā€™ll happily hunt down a set of off-road tires/wheels if I feel the need to go somewhere my 22s wonā€™t let me lol.

99D03C1F-1139-432D-B1BD-33AFDCF51B61.png
Damn, that looks good. That was the exact configuration of my First Mile Drive R1T and I damn near ran to change my configuration right after the drive was over.

The 22"s in person are STUNNING and the combination of El Cap, BM, and the Dark 22's is just killer, but all that adds up to an extra ~5K and I just can't justify it.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Not the greatest reviews on Tirerack for the 22" Pirelli P Zero. Don't know if changes in the EV version would address some of the concerns.
I read the same reviews. The EV version is going to be different because it needs to be XL load and i believe they are making them specifically for the R1T so I am keeping an open mind that they will be much better than the existing 22's

Sponsored

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Inclusive thinking has me appreciating that everyone has their personal preference. 22's do nothing for me on the Rivian. On a sports car they look awesome. But my preference is the 20's. Actually would really like 17's, but that ain't happening.
I live in CA and have absolutely no need for an off-road or snow tire. I went with the 20 A/T Darks because I think the Rivian looks so much better with them. The other tires look out of proportion on the Rivian to me and trucks look better with beefier tires. I also like the feeling of knowing I have the most capable off-road/bad weather tire in case I ever need it (although realistically I won't). The 20s just look the best -- especially on the Dark rim.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I can't speak to the snow, but the 22's have done very well in the rain. BTW: I grew up in Chicago and maybe things are worse now (we used to say that there were two seasons, winter and road repair) but somehow we all survived with all season tires. If you're dealing with sheets of black ice, just stay off the road...if you aren't slipping into someone, someone is slipping into you...

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I live in CA and have absolutely no need for an off-road or snow tire. I went with the 20 A/T Darks because I think the Rivian looks so much better with them. The other tires look out of proportion on the Rivian to me and trucks look better with beefier tires. I also like the feeling of knowing I have the most capable off-road/bad weather tire in case I ever need it (although realistically I won't). The 20s just look the best -- especially on the Dark rim.
well you might need them if we continue to get these megafloods they keep predicting:oops:

ChampagneUnicorn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (preorder), XC90 Recharge, 65 Riviera GS
Occupation
Gnome Figurine Day Trader
Clubs

Throwing out some 22ā€ optionsā€¦
Seen these posted on different threads-
Nitto Terra Grapplers R22
And
Nokian Hakkas R22
Should cover snow and A/T if you really wanted to go the 22ā€ route OP.
But I do have a question for everyone that knows much better than I, as far as towing goesā€¦
I honestly was leaning for 22s for range, but was planning on using my R1S for towing a camper trailer, how concerned should I be? Is there a certain weight limit on a camper anyone would recommend for an R1S if I kept 22s? (obviously I know the towing capacity, but pro-tip wise) Or donā€™t do it, you need 20s? I just feel like Iā€™m a bit trapped, because I live on the front range of CO and donā€™t want to feel the range anxiety every time Iā€™m taking the kids on a weekend trip into the mountains, but also donā€™t want my tires blowing out lolā€¦ Got some good info so far from everyone, thanks!

Dave711

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S,Tesla Model YP, Lexus SC430, Passat VR6
Clubs

I used to be from Chicago. The winter of 78 / 79 was my last winter there. I would get 20s. I am now in Southern California. I have to decide between 21 and 22s. I like the look of the 22s. I haven't decided.

Sponsored

Freddie

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I have been going to Tahoe off and on for about 40 years, and I can't speak for others, but I have never had an issue with AS tired on a 4wd vehicle getting stopped and needing chains at chain control. I have seen on many occasions the entire roadway closed down when it got too hairy - but everyone turned back, chains, 4wd, all of the above.

That said in the snow I would prefer to be on the 20's for sure, but I went up a dozen times this season and drove when it was snowing once. That has been my history over the years, 1-2 snow drives out of 8-10 dry.

Where it might make a huge different is on hill in areas with little or sub-par plowing. Then I would want 3 peak or snow tires...
Same here! I have done plenty of trips to Tahoe with Subaru on AS tires and no chains during snow. And a couple of times in the blizzard. But the weight of R1s is a diff game altogether. I am on 22s with planned winter visits to Tahoe.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

20ā€ ATs for me in Connecticut. Our average annual Connecticut snowfall is 38ā€ with a lot of variability from year to year. We also travel regularly to Maine and Massachusetts year round. My rule of thumb: if you own a snow rake to prevent roof ice dams on your house following snowstorms you should choose the 20s on your Rivian. šŸ˜‰

Last edited:

RealBillNye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I can't speak to the snow, but the 22's have done very well in the rain. BTW: I grew up in Chicago and maybe things are worse now (we used to say that there were two seasons, winter and road repair) but somehow we all survived with all season tires. If you're dealing with sheets of black ice, just stay off the road...if you aren't slipping into someone, someone is slipping into you...
Summer tires do better in the rain because they do a better job of pushing water out of the way and preventing hydroplaning. This is typically the opposite tread pattern needed for snow traction so equating rain to winter weather for snow is not accurate.

golden_frog

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
All-weather (not all season) tires are fantastic at snow, ice, and rain. Most people should get these instead of snow tires. Michelin cross-climates are fantastic, goodyear weatherready also good

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Does anyone have any info on what the 21 or 22 wheels weigh? We know from some on here that the 20ā€ AT wheel/tire weighs 89 lbs, per Pirelli the tire is 48 so the wheel is ~41 lbs. My guess is the 21 & 22 will be heavier due to being cast & larger.
Sponsored