Sponsored

22's vs. 20's - In depth discussion.

midwestchill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (anticipated)
Hi Group,
Have been thinking about this for a while and so I thought I'd ask for some advice. Appreciate comments from current wheel owners. Have an RS1 on order so not a emergency decision but I'd like to finalize it at some point. Let's start by saying that I'm not impressed by the 21's (like most people). So, considering 20's vs 22's. I have driven both and have pros and cons for both. Wanted to see if I'm thinking through this rationally. We are a suburban family and don't do much off-roading (moab, etc) so I don't think I need the 20's for off-roading. But we live in the midwest and snow is huge in some winter months.

20's:
Pros - 1)Easy winter traction in snow. 2)Ability to off-road and go to places not available in 22's. 3)Have a somewhat rugged look with the large tires. 3)Much harder to damage rim/tire from road and potholes. 4)"softer" ride compared to 22's 5)Forged vs. casted (22's)

Cons - 1)Treadlife? can't find anything online on the treadwear but the guy at the rivian hub in venice said that he's seen some owners get new tires in 15k with the re-gen braking. Tires in that config arent' cheap either (tirerack). 2)Noise - def more noise on highway than the 22's

22"s:
Pros: 1)Handling definitely better in the city than the 20's. 2)Can go much faster than the 20's in quad motors (accel) 3)Have more tire options and the tires are cheaper - can get some touring tires as replacement with less yearly/biannual cost of replacement 4) quieter on highway than 20's
Cons: 1)Harsher ride - feel more bumps (comp to 20's) 2)More chance of rim damage w/ potholes 3) can't take off-road 4)poor snow handling (comp to 20's), 4) Casted comp to forged (20's)

As an aside, for those considering 22's: Darks vs. Lights... having a hard time between the two. Can't seem to find many in person with dark 22's or even pics.
Sponsored

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I have the 21's so I can't comment much on here, but for the 22's being able to go much faster, I don't think this will be an issue. These trucks are ridiculously fast, most people won't notice the difference between 3.1 0-60 and 3.5 0-60 times. You may be one of the people that can notice and it does make a difference, but I would imagine that for the vast majority of people you won't notice a huge difference. It's still fast as hell and will throw you back into the seat.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
You get some pretty nasty winter weather in Chi-Town, I would pick the 20" AT's in a heartbeat.

R1T is a heavy vehicle that carries a lot of momentum... will be tricky stopping that load in slop with less than optimum tires.

Our WX here on Long Island isn't nearly as bad as yours, but we do get a few bad storms/winter. I never considered anything other than the AT's for my (Nov-Dec delivery) R1T.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Hi Group,
Have been thinking about this for a while and so I thought I'd ask for some advice. Appreciate comments from current wheel owners. Have an RS1 on order so not a emergency decision but I'd like to finalize it at some point. Let's start by saying that I'm not impressed by the 21's (like most people). So, considering 20's vs 22's. I have driven both and have pros and cons for both. Wanted to see if I'm thinking through this rationally. We are a suburban family and don't do much off-roading (moab, etc) so I don't think I need the 20's for off-roading. But we live in the midwest and snow is huge in some winter months.

20's:
Pros - 1)Easy winter traction in snow. 2)Ability to off-road and go to places not available in 22's. 3)Have a somewhat rugged look with the large tires. 3)Much harder to damage rim/tire from road and potholes. 4)"softer" ride compared to 22's 5)Forged vs. casted (22's)

Cons - 1)Treadlife? can't find anything online on the treadwear but the guy at the rivian hub in venice said that he's seen some owners get new tires in 15k with the re-gen braking. Tires in that config arent' cheap either (tirerack). 2)Noise - def more noise on highway than the 22's

22"s:
Pros: 1)Handling definitely better in the city than the 20's. 2)Can go much faster than the 20's in quad motors (accel) 3)Have more tire options and the tires are cheaper - can get some touring tires as replacement with less yearly/biannual cost of replacement 4) quieter on highway than 20's
Cons: 1)Harsher ride - feel more bumps (comp to 20's) 2)More chance of rim damage w/ potholes 3) can't take off-road 4)poor snow handling (comp to 20's), 4) Casted comp to forged (20's)

As an aside, for those considering 22's: Darks vs. Lights... having a hard time between the two. Can't seem to find many in person with dark 22's or even pics.
I would not even consider the 22s in Chicago unless you want to purchase a second set of wheels/ tires for winter.

20” Scorpion AT Plus is rated for 50k miles
21” Scorpion Verde All Season is rated for 65k miles
22” Scorpion Zero Plus all season is rated for 50k miles

https://d3nv2arudvw7ln.cloudfront.n...NzRmNDgtZTc1Mi00MmViLWI0YjAtNTIzNWNkNmYxYWYz~

https://www.pirelli.com/global/en-ww/road/pirelli-tires-tailor-made-for-rivian

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
Small note on the 20s is they are better in snow but you can’t run chains while the 22s are worse in snow but you can run chains if needed. You have to use a textile wrap with the 20s due to clearance issues so no chains

Sponsored

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Small Range hit on the 20's as well but I am dealing with the exact dilemma as you.
Though after cracking two rims on my Navigator in one trip due to pot holes I am leaning towards the 20's

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
Hi Group,

20's:

22"s:

I was never an off-road enthusiast, my trucks have either been street oriented or currently a one-ton pickup that beats the crap out of you off road. But the 20's have opened a whole new world. I can easily get to areas that I never would have dreamed. My son and I enjoy exploring the desert of Northern Nevada in the Rivian. I don't regret the 20's at all. The mild hit on range and maybe earlier wear are worth it to me.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I'd say the 20's just due to winter and potholes.

I have AT tires on my Ram and I've never had an issue driving in our weather in the past 6 years.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I have 8,100 miles on my AT 20s and they have signs of wear, but they are definitely not half way done (the 15k comment). Could be i do a lot less regen braking than other folks, I have no way of knowing that - but I expect the tires to last probably 30-40k based on what I'm seeing right now.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Hi Group,

20's:

22"s:

I think I have driven myself insane (ask my wife) over tire/wheel selection analysis. My guess is the 22's are going to wear like a soft eraser, the 21's best wear comfort, and the 20's in between. In looking at the Load Ratings, there are 2 tires that meet requirements on TireRack for the 22's, and only 1 for the 21. I'm thinking of sticking with the 20" forged rim and at replacement time, switching to a Michelin Defender LTX M/S which will be nearly the exact size overall as the 21" and 6 lbs lighter than the A/T. I've had these several times before and the LTX is a great overall tire.

Sponsored

OP
OP

midwestchill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (anticipated)
Great points so far. I agree snow in Chicago tends to be bad for a few weeks but for most of the year it's not there. Appreciate the tread wear numbers. I was shocked to see how quickly the people have been getting the new sets of tires though. The guide at the venice hub said that due to regenerative braking, the tires are wearing out much faster to the tune of 15-20k miles.

I have driven the truck in both tires and my impressions were:
20's: buttery smooth on the local road but a not as much road feedback. Kind of floaty.
22: bit more road noise but not bad at all. MUCH better handling and road feel.

I was almost 100% leaning toward the 20's initially until I drove the 22's. Then I was kind of confused as to which one to go with.

OP
OP

midwestchill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (anticipated)
I have 8,100 miles on my AT 20s and they have signs of wear, but they are definitely not half way done (the 15k comment). Could be i do a lot less regen braking than other folks, I have no way of knowing that - but I expect the tires to last probably 30-40k based on what I'm seeing right now.
Great! Good to know that the wear isn't as big of an issue.

OP
OP

midwestchill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (anticipated)
I think I have driven myself insane (ask my wife) over tire/wheel selection analysis. My guess is the 22's are going to wear like a soft eraser, the 21's best wear comfort, and the 20's in between. In looking at the Load Ratings, there are 2 tires that meet requirements on TireRack for the 22's, and only 1 for the 21. I'm thinking of sticking with the 20" forged rim and at replacement time, switching to a Michelin Defender LTX M/S which will be nearly the exact size overall as the 21" and 6 lbs lighter than the A/T. I've had these several times before and the LTX is a great overall tire.
Haha.. isn't it crazy.. good problem to have. I have driven with the Defenders LTX and agree that it's a good overall tire. May go with that one as well if I go with the 20's. I'm thinking of going dark rims. They look sick in person. It's not even fair to the other rims. You have to see them to believe how good they look. 20's Dark is sick. It's like darth vader came to earth and left his rims for us. haha.
Rivian R1T R1S 22's vs. 20's - In depth discussion. 09DE81B1-D859-4A8B-B29E-31B594345D3A

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
There is nothing better than appropriate driving in bad weather. My 2 cents is get what you want. R1t will do better than most trucks that don’t have same the low center of gravity and weight balance. I have the 21”, i like the range, the look and ability to remove the aero covers if i want. Yes i’ll have to worry about replacement cost at some point…
Sponsored