Sponsored

22's vs. 20's - In depth discussion.

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
My man...if you get snow, the 22's are OFF your list (Zero's are garbage in the snow - we have them on our Y). If you won't get the 21's, your choice has been made. No further discussion is needed.

PS - I'm in Minnesota and looked at the same thing. Going with 21's because they are free, winter-worthy, and give the BEST range and ride combo. Easy decision.
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Get the 22s.
You don't need the 20s because you're not going off road. You can get chains for the 22s to use in the snow.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I plan to go for the 20s and use the OEM tires as winter tires and buy a set of 275/60/R20 highway all seasons for the warmer months.
This is kinda my idea too, I have the difference in that I'm going to towing 7.5k I feel like the 22" are just too thin, even if they are 5.5" sidewall. It's just not really their main jam. I do debate 21" in my head, but don't like the lack of choice in replacements. All of the OEM tires are approaching 1.5k to replace. I like the idea of forged wheels for towing, however if they offered forged in 21" I would probably go with that since they are half an inch more sidewall.

[EDIT] Well I was going to wait until the original AT needed to be replaced, and not get new tires right away.

Sponsored

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
My man...if you get snow, the 22's are OFF your list (Zero's are garbage in the snow - we have them on our Y). If you won't get the 21's, your choice has been made. No further discussion is needed.

PS - I'm in Minnesota and looked at the same thing. Going with 21's because they are free, winter-worthy, and give the BEST range and ride combo. Easy decision.
We have the zeros on our Volvos and they are absolutely fine in “snow”. If you’re talking a lot of snow and hills, then yes I would prefer dedicated snows for winter.

HimuraMOdo

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Blue R1T Adventure+22" ; 14 Durango
Occupation
Engineer

Ohhh shoot, I have the 22" and I'm in Colorado.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
That’s why I’m going with the 20s. I live in Colorado but I don’t want to have an extra set of tires for winter.

shandel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S FG/FE Adventure 20, Audi e-tron, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

For Tahoe trips, the 20's will let you pass through chain control with no chains during a storm, but you'd need to stop and put on chains for the 21 or 22's. Seems like a non-starter to me.

EzMev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old SUV
I have been going to Tahoe off and on for about 40 years, and I can't speak for others, but I have never had an issue with AS tired on a 4wd vehicle getting stopped and needing chains at chain control. I have seen on many occasions the entire roadway closed down when it got too hairy - but everyone turned back, chains, 4wd, all of the above.

That said in the snow I would prefer to be on the 20's for sure, but I went up a dozen times this season and drove when it was snowing once. That has been my history over the years, 1-2 snow drives out of 8-10 dry.

Where it might make a huge different is on hill in areas with little or sub-par plowing. Then I would want 3 peak or snow tires...

For Tahoe trips, the 20's will let you pass through chain control with no chains during a storm, but you'd need to stop and put on chains for the 21 or 22's. Seems like a non-starter to me.

Sponsored

shandel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I have been going to Tahoe off and on for about 40 years, and I can't speak for others, but I have never had an issue with AS tired on a 4wd vehicle getting stopped and needing chains at chain control. I have seen on many occasions the entire roadway closed down when it got too hairy - but everyone turned back, chains, 4wd, all of the above.

That said in the snow I would prefer to be on the 20's for sure, but I went up a dozen times this season and drove when it was snowing once. That has been my history over the years, 1-2 snow drives out of 8-10 dry.

Where it might make a huge different is on hill in areas with little or sub-par plowing. Then I would want 3 peak or snow tires...
I've been stopped when there's chain control many times, and they do check the tires for M/S designation or require chains.

EzMev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old SUV
on 80 or 50? That blows my mind. Very few people in Ca have snow tires, so they are reading the small print for the 3 peak rating on the highway? I was on a closure this year on 50, no one through and then 4wd or chains.

you would end up with nearly every factory truck and suv turned around or with chains, right?

I've been stopped when there's chain control many times, and they do check the tires for M/S designation or require chains.

Last edited:

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

The 21's and 22's are still capable of off roading. See what Sandy Munro did with the 21s in his videos.

Unless you plan on doing serious off roading a lot of the time, the 21 or 22s will give you more range and if it were me, I would want to maximize range and handling for daily driving. Also, RIVIAN has shown videos of "winter testing" in 22's. I think that they will be capable.

Remember that batteries will degrade over time, so a 10% range hit from the 20 to the 22 doesn't seem like much now when you have 100% capacity but what about when you are at 80% capacity?

Then all of a sudden that 10% makes a really big difference.

Purchase whatever best fits your most likely use case.

shandel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

on 80 or 50? That blows my mind. Very few people in Ca have snow tires, so they are reading the small print for the 3 peak rating on the highway? I was on a closure this year on 50, no one through and then 4wd or chains.

you would end up with nearly every factory truck and suv turned around or with chains, right?
Yes, that is what happens in a big storm. They actually look down at the tires. I'm sure they can spot which ones have traction vs. are street tires and they will waive you to the side of the road to put on chains even if in an SUV if you have street tires.

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
The 21's and 22's are still capable of off roading. See what Sandy Munro did with the 21s in his videos.

Unless you plan on doing serious off roading a lot of the time, the 21 or 22s will give you more range and if it were me, I would want to maximize range and handling for daily driving. Also, RIVIAN has shown videos of "winter testing" in 22's. I think that they will be capable.

Remember that batteries will degrade over time, so a 10% range hit from the 20 to the 22 doesn't seem like much now when you have 100% capacity but what about when you are at 80% capacity?

Then all of a sudden that 10% makes a really big difference.

Purchase whatever best fits your most likely use case.
Look at the tread pattern of the 22 vs 21...tells everything you want to know.
Sponsored