Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
....and all the "Humming" and "Hawing" to try and max that sweet sweet eMPG, will get chucked out the window the moment you smoosh down on the velocitator, go up a hill, or encounter rain.
Totally true!

But - if I'm being honest - 80% of my out-of-town travel will be on boring straight paved highways in mild California weather.

The humming and hawing is about that.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
A lot of people talk about the aero on the R1’s but I would like to see what it is. I know looking at my Jeep GC, it looks like a brick but I can get into the low 20’s on the highway doing 75, can usually get 19 or 20 doing 80.

Sometimes they are more slippery than they appear to the eye.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I could almost go with the 21s without the aero covers, despite it still not being my favorite look. But there are still no snow tires available for that size rim, so nope. Sticking with the 20s and probably putting 275/60R20 low rolling resistance tires on for my daily driver. Will ride the AT tires as winter tires until I wear them out, then go to regular snow tires.
Another person from Rochester, MN!! I'm just doing the 20 ATs and going with it. I've been driving a Mazda 6 or a sedan in this area since I was 16. Figure this can only be better

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Without the aero covers I think the 21's look fine.

I agree they're pretty ugly with the covers, however.

I'm curious what the range would be for the EPA tests without the covers.
Can you get the covers painted with the Rivian’s body color?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Can you get the covers painted with the Rivian’s body color?
take them to your preferred bodyshop. Probably wouldn’t be very expensive.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Another person from Rochester, MN!! I'm just doing the 20 ATs and going with it. I've been driving a Mazda 6 or a sedan in this area since I was 16. Figure this can only be better
Do not trust @Tatnai - I have reason to believe they’re a leafs fan. Poor judgement. ?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Nice picture, not sure where you found it, furst image I have been able to read the tire rating on it

H = 130 MPH
115 = 2679 lbs

1631050789448.png
115H, you say?

As I mentioned somewhere this morning, this tire below exists, and will fit the 20” wheels, be nearly identical ride height as the 21” wheel choice, and give pretty much the same performance as the 21” wheel and AS tire minus maybe a little aerodynamic difference on the wheel itself. And it’s 115H rated, like the Riv/ELEC version of the Scorpion AT Plus.

Rivian R1T R1S 21" wheel aero inserts are designed to be removable - confirmed by Rivian Customer Service! 6F8292B9-EC8D-4184-9728-F91385EA0197

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
Do not trust @Tatnai - I have reason to believe they’re a leafs fan. Poor judgement. ?
As long as they aren't a Packer fan, I am cool with it
Lol easy there fellas. Yes I grew up in Toronto, though calling me a fan of any sport besides cycling is a bit of a stretch.

Yes, in Rochester MN. I guess I won't be the only one driving a Rivian around here. When did you preorder? R1S or R1T? I am R1S, didn't preorder until June of this year unfortunately (a day after I found out about Rivian). Whoever gets theirs first will have to take the other for a ride.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Lol easy there fellas. Yes I grew up in Toronto, though calling me a fan of any sport besides cycling is a bit of a stretch.

Yes, in Rochester MN. I guess I won't be the only one driving a Rivian around here. When did you preorder? R1S or R1T? I am R1S, didn't preorder until June of this year unfortunately (a day after I found out about Rivian). Whoever gets theirs first will have to take the other for a ride.
R1T here. Ordered mine early August. Betting they come the same day on the same truck :)

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

You’ll forgive my suspicion of a Torontonian, we learn it in school here.

I think Minnesota will be the closest and earliest place I’ll be able to see a Rivian.

Revo

First Name
Revo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Occupation
Captain

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Me neither.

I'm still standing by the 20" AT, and - assuming it would lessen the hit to range noticeably - I actually wish I could add aero covers to them.
I'm hoping that if Rivian doesn't offer inserts for the 20's that an after market manufacturer will because I'm also going with the 20's.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Me neither.

I'm still standing by the 20" AT, and - assuming it would lessen the hit to range noticeably - I actually wish I could add aero covers to them.
Rivian said 10-15% hit in range with the 20 compared to 21.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
115H, you say?

As I mentioned somewhere this morning, this tire below exists, and will fit the 20” wheels, be nearly identical ride height as the 21” wheel choice, and give pretty much the same performance as the 21” wheel and AS tire minus maybe a little aerodynamic difference on the wheel itself. And it’s 115H rated, like the Riv/ELEC version of the Scorpion AT Plus.

6F8292B9-EC8D-4184-9728-F91385EA0197.jpeg
There appears to be an updated version of this: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...HR0SASP3&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Sponsored