First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
That is interesting. I've been driving EVs since 2015 and I'd be careful to quote the 20-40% over EPA range as the expectation for everyone. Living in Seattle with our hills, mountains, and weather you almost certainly won't see that. None of my EV's have. Folks living in warmer climates and flatter places often see that though.

I definitely agree the 21's are the least attractive wheels by a lot...
My wife usually does 20% more than the EPA, and I get 20% below the EPA on the same car. I really think drivers matter the most.
Sponsored

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
When I spend that kind of money for a car, I wanted the car to look its best... 20" AT all the way.

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 2.21.41 PM.png
Agreed, but the 22's look pretty nice on the R1S in my opinion... Tough choices, for sure!

Rivian R1T R1S 21" wheel aero inserts are designed to be removable - confirmed by Rivian Customer Service! Messages Image(2587219606)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
When I spend that kind of money for a car, I wanted the car to look its best... 20" AT all the way.

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 2.21.41 PM.png
Nice picture, not sure where you found it, furst image I have been able to read the tire rating on it

H = 130 MPH
115 = 2679 lbs

Rivian R1T R1S 21" wheel aero inserts are designed to be removable - confirmed by Rivian Customer Service! 1631050789448

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Nice picture, not sure where you found it, furst image I have been able to read the tire rating on it

H = 130 MPH
115 = 2679 lbs

1631050789448.png
This is from the recent MT review

Sponsored

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
Looks like im the only one who dont mind the aero covers
You’re not. They’re not really bothering me either.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Serious questions: You can tell construction quality of wheels just by looking at a photograph? If so, what are the tip-offs of poor construction quality that you see on the 21s?

Good question. I own a Collison repair shop. I'm not saying they are poor construction, just that they look like any other Alloy wheel. Smooth machines surface. Nice color, etc. The 20 inched forged wheels look different than most wheels I've seen.
21s look good without the caps, but I feel like the range will suffer because the caps are there for a reason.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
You’re not. They’re not really bothering me either.
Me neither.

I'm still standing by the 20" AT, and - assuming it would lessen the hit to range noticeably - I actually wish I could add aero covers to them.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Looks like im the only one who dont mind the aero covers
I don't either. And when they're removed I don't mind them. Honestly, the 20" Bright (R1S) wheels are the ones that I really don't like.

Lobstahz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3, Audi A4
Folks trying to thread the needle on range vs aesthetics by getting the 21's and removing the aero inserts should definitely go in knowing that you'll lose some range when you remove those inserts. No one knows how much, we can certainly speculate, but ultimately it will be less. Those inserts are there for a reason. If you like the look without the inserts, then by all means, go for it. Just don't think you'll get aero insert range without said aero inserts.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Folks trying to thread the needle on range vs aesthetics by getting the 21's and removing the aero inserts should definitely go in knowing that you'll lose some range when you remove those inserts. No one knows how much, we can certainly speculate, but ultimately it will be less. Those inserts are there for a reason. If you like the look without the inserts, then by all means, go for it. Just don't think you'll get aero insert range without said aero inserts.
....and all the "Humming" and "Hawing" to try and max that sweet sweet eMPG, will get chucked out the window the moment you smoosh down on the velocitator, go up a hill, or encounter rain.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
....and all the "Humming" and "Hawing" to try and max that sweet sweet eMPG, will get chucked out the window the moment you smoosh down on the velocitator, go up a hill, or encounter rain.
Smoosh made me chuckle!

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
No one knows how much, we can certainly speculate, but ultimately it will be less. Those inserts are there for a reason.
Ballpark speculation - the range hit from removing the covers is likely around 3-5% range, based on prior evidence from the Model 3/Y's aero covers. More than that is unlikely given the other aero factors at play, less than that and they'd probably skip the part.

It's fairly common for Tesla owners to leave them off for around-town driving and then just snap them in if they really need to hypermile for a road trip.
Sponsored