dmc94

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - GW/FE/20"
Clubs

Please join us for an off-road meet up! We will be meeting at Crystal Springs Sno-Park just off Kachess Lake Road and i90.

This event is aimed toward Rivian owners but if you have a Rivian on order and an off-road vehicle capable of keeping up, we'd love to have you join! We will have our first Show & Tell in early November either in Seattle or Bellevue.

We'll meet at 10:00 am and start on the trail at 10:30. We'll caravan over Stampede Pass to Greenwater. I'm allotting four hours so we can stop for lunch and take our time enjoying the views, but we might be done sooner than that. Starting at in the morning will allow for everyone to be home before dinner and hopefully avoid some midday weekend traffic. .

Stampede Pass is 31.4 miles and is rated 2/10 so this is a great, easy route to get your feet wet if you haven't off-roaded before.

Roundtrip is 172 miles from downtown Seattle so charging to 100% should allow for no stops even with the efficiency hit on the trail. If the range hit is much worse than expected there is an EA fast charger 40 miles from the trail end at South Hill Mall (Puyallup) or the Auburn Outlet Collection so as long as we have 50+ miles left, we're good to go.

Food: very light snacks and water will be provided. Please bring real food if you'd like lunch.

Ask questions below and don't hesitate to message me.

onXoffroad link for Stampede Pass: https://webmap.onxmaps.com/offroad/map/query/47.19242,-121.40251,12.23/overview?mode=dirt

Date: Saturday, October 22nd
Time: 10:00am meet up - hit the trail at 10:30
Location: Crystal Springs Sno-Park for the meet up. Then Stampede Pass to Greenwater is the trail.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Would love to join, but out of town that weekend. Have fun!

Joneholland

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I was tooling around up there last weekend. Be warned that greenwater is very remote and it takes a while to get back to civilization.

We might show.

On charging, the elevation to get up there soaks up a lot. I was at 85% when I left Issaquah and 60% when I hit the exit for Stampede pass.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Thanks for organizing this, I am definitely considering attending! Have a few questions to help me prepare better since this will be my very first off-roading trip. Nothing in the photos or trail description indicated that these would be issues, but thought I'd ask anyway:
- Will we need to to air down tires for this trail?
- Is there anything on the trail that will put our tires at risk of flats? Asking because I have an R1S and while I have a spare, it's the compact one.
- Any super narrow points in the trail which might cause pinstriping?

OP
OP
dmc94

dmc94

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - GW/FE/20"
Clubs

Thanks for organizing this, I am definitely considering attending! Have a few questions to help me prepare better since this will be my very first off-roading trip. Nothing in the photos or trail description indicated that these would be issues, but thought I'd ask anyway:
- Is there anything on the trail that will put our tires at risk of flats? Asking because I have an R1S and while I have a spare, it's the compact one.
hello!
1) airing down is highly recommended and will reduce a chance of a flat
2) there are some rocky sections for a few miles. Very light rock crawling. Nothing at risk of scraping, but you’ll need to pay attention so you don’t run over something sharp
3) there was some brush but it was fairly light and I didn’t have any pinstripes but it’s always at your own risk.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I did this trail a coupe weeks ago with an R1T with 21" street tires.

I did not air down, and I didn't see any need to. Maybe I should have?

There are some rocks in the later half that gave me concern as I had street tires versus AT tires.

The biggest concern is the narrow points where you can encounter people going the other way. I was pretty careful, and yet I still ended up with some tiny long scratches on the passenger side of my vehicle which appear like they'll buff out. I should have gotten full PPF protection before taking it here. Maybe if I had been more careful? I'm not sure where along the point it happened. In the future I'm going to try to stick to wider trails or single way trails. A lot of this comes down to who you encounter going the other way. and how aggressive they're being. Most of the people were decent where only a couple of people were going way too fast causing me to get over quickly with less time to make sure I wasn't brushing up against stuff.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I did this trail a coupe weeks ago with an R1T with 21" street tires.

I did not air down, and I didn't see any need to. Maybe I should have?

There are some rocks in the later half that gave me concern as I had street tires versus AT tires.

The biggest concern is the narrow points where you can encounter people going the other way. I was pretty careful, and yet I still ended up with some tiny long scratches on the passenger side of my vehicle which appear like they'll buff out. I should have gotten full PPF protection before taking it here. Maybe if I had been more careful? I'm not sure where along the point it happened. In the future I'm going to try to stick to wider trails or single way trails. A lot of this comes down to who you encounter going the other way. and how aggressive they're being. Most of the people were decent where only a couple of people were going way too fast causing me to get over quickly with less time to make sure I wasn't brushing up against stuff.
Super helpful, thank you! I don't have PPF either (will most likely do a full front at some point) so I will try and be careful.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
hello!
1) airing down is highly recommended and will reduce a chance of a flat
2) there are some rocky sections for a few miles. Very light rock crawling. Nothing at risk of scraping, but you’ll need to pay attention so you don’t run over something sharp
3) there was some brush but it was fairly light and I didn’t have any pinstripes but it’s always at your own risk.
Thanks, I missed this response up top somehow! Ok, I will most likely be joining, provided I can find someone to look after the dog for the day :). Will send you a PM to confirm.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Super helpful, thank you! I don't have PPF either (will most likely do a full front at some point) so I will try and be careful.
Do full. I did front, and not having to worry about pinstripes has me planning to finish it up.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Do full. I did front, and not having to worry about pinstripes has me planning to finish it up.
*logs in to investment account*

But in all seriousness I will consider it. Especially if I get the Rivian program pricing, which is $4,500 IIRC.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
*logs in to investment account*

But in all seriousness I will consider it. Especially if I get the Rivian program pricing, which is $4,500 IIRC.
Pista Films will match their pricing as far as I've heard.

And yeah, that's why I did front only first too. Planning on keeping my truck for a long time, feeling limited about taking "narrow" trails with any brush on it vs having the piece of mind would have been worth it if I was able to get the $4,500 when I did it.

Granted you have an R1S so I don't know what the total cost is for that.

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

Not trying to derail the thread here, but just as a heads up on the PPF.

I have spoken to a few local XPEL recommended installers and none of them wanted to touch the $4500 deal, as it would leave them with hardly any margin. They also said that the stealth package, while claiming full coverage, does NOT wrap the edges, meaning that 1) you can see the "ends" of the film and 2) The film will attract dirt that way and you will see lines of dirt. Additional to that, it also does not include the lights or any non-painted surface, like A & B pillars etc.

I ended up going with California Tint in Everett (they are in Silverdale too) and they have a $5500 package that includes everything and wraps the edges. They also used ceramic infused clear XPEL, so not the Matte (unless you want that). They also have special pricing if you pay cash.

That said, there are many capable shops around, and pricing will fluctuate a few hundred dollars. I just wanted to give a bit of input on the Rivian XPEL package and what it is and isn't.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Not trying to derail the thread here, but just as a heads up on the PPF.

I have spoken to a few local XPEL recommended installers and none of them wanted to touch the $4500 deal, as it would leave them with hardly any margin. They also said that the stealth package, while claiming full coverage, does NOT wrap the edges, meaning that 1) you can see the "ends" of the film and 2) The film will attract dirt that way and you will see lines of dirt. Additional to that, it also does not include the lights or any non-painted surface, like A & B pillars etc.

I ended up going with California Tint in Everett (they are in Silverdale too) and they have a $5500 package that includes everything and wraps the edges. They also used ceramic infused clear XPEL, so not the Matte (unless you want that). They also have special pricing if you pay cash.

That said, there are many capable shops around, and pricing will fluctuate a few hundred dollars. I just wanted to give a bit of input on the Rivian XPEL package and what it is and isn't.
I've talked to two who would, at least at the time. Both came through the program website.

In any case, $5500 is still a good deal.
Sponsored