1ev running boards or sliders?

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
That is the price difference between their rock sliders and running boards. At normal price there is a $600 difference between the two. But both are on sale now and there is more off on the Sliders than the Running Boards so the difference currently is only $450.
Ah gotcha. I would agree with others. The sliders seem like overkill in most cases.
Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I don't for a minute buying the running boards and I don't think you will either, especially if you have anyone who is height challenged.

I read on the 75 page long thread started by 1EV that yes, they will slot the plastic covers if you ask. I just left the plastic covers off for now. You really can't see them and I thought that 4" holes would allow debris to accumulate above the plastic covers.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I will offer a counter-point: you are buying one of the most capable trucks on the market today. The truck weighs over 7000 lbs and has over 900ft-lbs of torque. The potential to get oneself into a, ahem, “situation”, is non-zero. I’m surprised I’m still alive after just 5 months of ownership.

People keep saying it’s overkill. But the entire truck is overkill. You do you, but FWIW, don’t forget how much capability, and weight, are moved by the right foot.

$450 of extra insurance ain’t a bad thing here, IMHO.

Full disclosure - I beat the crap of out of my rigs. While I plan to be relatively kind to my Rivian, it will inevitably experience some abuse because Fun. I found it very worth the extra money for the sliders vs. the steps. YMMV for sure, and no matter what, enjoy what you get and don’t look back!

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
I will offer a counter-point: you are buying one of the most capable trucks on the market today. The truck weighs over 7000 lbs and has over 900ft-lbs of torque. The potential to get oneself into a, ahem, “situation”, is non-zero. I’m surprised I’m still alive after just 5 months of ownership.

People keep saying it’s overkill. But the entire truck is overkill. You do you, but FWIW, don’t forget how much capability, and weight, are moved by the right foot.

$450 of extra insurance ain’t a bad thing here, IMHO.

Full disclosure - I beat the crap of out of my rigs. While I plan to be relatively kind to my Rivian, it will inevitably experience some abuse because Fun. I found it very worth the extra money for the sliders vs. the steps. YMMV for sure, and no matter what, enjoy what you get and don’t look back!
Your counter point applies to your needs but it does not apply to his. Carrying an extra 150 lbs with a set of totally unneeded sliders reduces the truck's carrying capacity by that much; the 900 ft-lb torque is irrelevant. You're not advising OP, just projecting your needs on to his. Buying extra insurance when not needed is a waste, to no purpose.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Your counter point applies to your needs but it does not apply to his. Carrying an extra 150 lbs with a set of totally unneeded sliders reduces the truck's carrying capacity by that much; the 900 ft-lb torque is irrelevant. You're not advising OP, just projecting your needs on to his. Buying extra insurance when not needed is a waste, to no purpose.
Indeed! These are called “opinions,” based on individual situations which I did indeed try to outline above.

Enjoy your truck!

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

There's a lot of opportunity for fun that doesn't include objects over 9" tall.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
There's a lot of opportunity for fun that doesn't include objects over 9" tall.
Ha! I don’t try to hit tall stuff -on purpose-.

In all seriousness, I don’t use sliders to literally slide over rocks (though they do well with that). My experience with them is in turning around objects, not having just enough room to navigate, and taking a rock hit to the door rocker. That’s where they earn their keep for me.

Also - preventing errant drivers from hitting the rocker and bolting. This saved my old Tundra once.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Indeed! These are called “opinions,” based on individual situations which I did indeed try to outline above.

Enjoy your truck!
I'm sure you're enjoying yours as I do mine! Many times over!

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

I appreciate all the input from everyone. Everyone has good points on both sides. However, considering I am buying a 13kw solar system, my wife wants to replace the 30 year old roof at the same time, and I am unfortunately always too busy to have any real fun, I will go with the running boards.

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

with that said, EV1 will either do the slot or the holes in the plastic panels. Which one do you feel will be a cleaner install?

Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
Where did you see that there is 150lbs extra? Maybe I missed it but thought steps were about 30 each and sliders about 65 each.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Where did you see that there is 150lbs extra? Maybe I missed it but thought steps were about 30 each and sliders about 65 each.
I don't remember now, with at least 5 separate threads on these RBs and multiple revisions, but they are substantially heavy. As I remember, it's about 40-50 lbs for each RBs, and later on 1EV said the sliders are more than twice the weight of the RBs. My 150 lbs is just an approximate of the sliders' weight. @EV Sportline , could you jump in with a definitive answer here?

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I don't remember now, with at least 5 separate threads on these RBs and multiple revisions, but they are substantially heavy. As I remember, it's about 40-50 lbs for each RBs, and later on 1EV said the sliders are more than twice the weight of the RBs. My 150 lbs is just an approximate of the sliders' weight. @EV Sportline , could you jump in with a definitive answer here?
I believe it was in the 75 page thread.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I believe it was in the 75 page thread.
If I get a shipping confirmation from FedEx, then I'd know for sure what the weight of the RBs are.
Sponsored