SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

New patent was published for this that has a lot greater detail in how they expect this to work with like actual hardware in the drawing. Guessing that means they could still make it.

https://image-ppubs.uspto.gov/dirsearch-public/print/downloadPdf/11661120
You know, my Guide had mentioned to me (like last year) that they may bring back the 180 tailgate at a later time, so this certainly adds evidence to that.

Companies file patents for things they don't plan on bringing to market just to protect the IP but hopefully Rivian ha real plans for this.

I've already delayed my order 6+ months for a working power cover so I'm not holding my breath they will have a 180 tailgate worked out anytime soon even though their LA Auto Show Mule had it (and it was sweet!)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You know, my Guide had mentioned to me (like last year) that they may bring back the 180 tailgate at a later time, so this certainly adds evidence to that.

Companies file patents for things they don't plan on bringing to market just to protect the IP but hopefully Rivian ha real plans for this.
I mean this is way more detail than a theory patent.
Rivian R1T R1S 180 degree tailgate 1685652806535

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Figure 24 seems to show how it originally operated, by decoupling the cable to allow for the full 180 rotation. Only downside to that approach was having to return the tailgate to the closed position to decouple them, and allow for the full range of motion.

I also like the fold down step/anchor point over the hollowed out step inset also shown.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I would love a multi-function tailgate like on the Silverado. Don't necessarily need the speakers, but things like being able to fold down into a step would be convenient, especially when hanging out in the bed to watch fireworks, etc. Or maybe I'm the only one that does that, LOL. 😄
Sponsored