Sponsored

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

great comments.

When people ask me "How much does it cost to charge at a public charger?". I tell them that I do 99% of my charging at home which is cheaper than a DCFC. I will use DCFC when I have too and I am not loyal to any brand because electrons are electrons.

I do joke with people when they ask me "How many miles you get in that Rivian?". I look at them with all sincerity and say "depends on if I use premium electricity or just regular". They look puzzled at first, then laugh.
But certain brand electrons have fuel injector cleaner or something! Charge with EA 350+ and your battery will gain usable capacity!

No real capacity gained. Only in your head. Requires $9.99/mo customer service charge.
Sponsored

NoGoingBack

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, R1T
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Very exciting! It would be awesome if we could sidestep the Tesla app and use our Rivian accounts for payment. I am sure I am dreaming though.

As for pricing, I will also be happy as long as it isn't more than I pay at home on peak, but ultimately, it will be great to have the charging capabilities in our path.
Yeah if it works anything like plug and charge on EVgo you can walk up and plug in and not mess with the app first. But all billing and and charge info will probably be in the Tesla app like it is in the EVgo app. I’m good with that if it works that way. I would be surprised if billing is through Rivian app.

Tomgriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 MS 70D, 2017 Chevy Bolt Premier, T700
Some of the rates I have been seeing in the Tesla app... You actually are not lying!
I know the rates aren't the same everywhere, but I just charged at the magic dock in Boardman Oregon yesterday and the rate was .36/kW. During the same trip, I charged three times at EA with two also at .36 with pass+ at one station and .42 with pass+ and also charged once at RAN also at .36/kW. BTW, magic dock worked great and is no longer limited to less than 150 kW, had a great charging session. In the areas I've been in the Pacific Northwest, EVGo has been the most expensive at over .50/kW.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Yeah if it works anything like plug and charge on EVgo you can walk up and plug in and not mess with the app first. But all billing and and charge info will probably be in the Tesla app like it is in the EVgo app. I’m good with that if it works that way. I would be surprised if billing is through Rivian app.
I think Ford has the Tesla plug and charge go thru the Ford app so Rivian should be able to do that too. But I do think if you buy a supercharger subscription that you need to use the Tesla app to get the discount.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Unrelated... But there was a weird charger I ran across yesterday..

I made a impromtu outting for the day with the kids. I planned road chargers just in case my 90% SOC wasnt enough to make it.

There is a charger (found in the chargepoint app) in Idaho Springs, CO that has weekend rates, and weekday rates. Name of the Charger was Volvo Car USA. With a 62.5kWh.
Weekend rates are $45.62 per 15 minutes
Weekday rates are $5.62 per minutes

Not seen that one before

But if I had needed a charge, the YMCA in Granby, CO was where I was going to go.
62.5 kWh charger
Price... FREE!

Back on topic... I hope they update the Idaho Springs Tesla charger to a MagicDock

Sponsored

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Tesla has time of day, peak versus non-peak rates in our area according to their app.

Tbirdjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
you should charge at EVgo

more choice should create more competition, I hope
I have to disagree with you here. I have used only Chargepoint and Electrify America with rare exception. I pulled into an EVgo spot yesterday and "filled up" from 38% to 72% and it was $55. That would be 2/3 of that, at most, on EA.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Pay Tesla a $13 month membership fee and get the same rates at Tesla owners OR pay a 30% kWh premium to charge.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

GM EV1 was released 12 years before the first Tesla
Kind of an overstatment. GM only leased (the limited number they produced) the EV1, and then refused to sell them at the end of the lease. And then GM killed the program.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Kind of an overstatment. GM only leased (the limited number they produced) the EV1, and then refused to sell them at the end of the lease. And then GM killed the program.
Just for accuracy there were a few limited one-off type EV's pre Tesla Roadster. Chevy S10 and Ford Ranger trucks come to mind, others as well. Not to discredit Tesla (Which began without Elon I believe) that brought EV's into "mainstream" in early 2010's.

Sponsored

boxedlunch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Preorder R1S
Pay Tesla a $13 month membership fee and get the same rates at Tesla owners OR pay a 30% kWh premium to charge.
Or use the Bluedot app…For EvGo stations near Austin, it’s $0.30/kW vs $0.59 + a $0.99 connection fee thru EvGo app (no subscription price). Yes, EvGo is also garbage.

If you wanna try it, I’d appreciate the referral credit:
https://bluedot.app.link/gS59awfqJHb

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Unrelated... But there was a weird charger I ran across yesterday..

I made a impromtu outting for the day with the kids. I planned road chargers just in case my 90% SOC wasnt enough to make it.

There is a charger (found in the chargepoint app) in Idaho Springs, CO that has weekend rates, and weekday rates. Name of the Charger was Volvo Car USA. With a 62.5kWh.
Weekend rates are $45.62 per 15 minutes
Weekday rates are $5.62 per minutes

Not seen that one before

But if I had needed a charge, the YMCA in Granby, CO was where I was going to go.
62.5 kWh charger
Price... FREE!

Back on topic... I hope they update the Idaho Springs Tesla charger to a MagicDock
since you found it on the chargepoint app it’s likely just a Volvo branded chargepoint unit like the “Mercedes” branded chargepoints that have gone in at Bucee’s locations in Alabama & Tennessee (that i know of)

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Or use the Bluedot app…For EvGo stations near Austin, it’s $0.30/kW vs $0.59 + a $0.99 connection fee thru EvGo app (no subscription price). Yes, EvGo is also garbage.

If you wanna try it, I’d appreciate the referral credit:
https://bluedot.app.link/gS59awfqJHb
Have you used it? I'm hesitant to hand over my data to them.

ryunited

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
I wonder how this will work for folks that own Teslas and Rivian's. Like if I charged at an SC, can I pay via my existing Tesla account and not pay the premium?

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
Just for accuracy there were a few limited one-off type EV's pre Tesla Roadster. Chevy S10 and Ford Ranger trucks come to mind, others as well. Not to discredit Tesla (Which began without Elon I believe) that brought EV's into "mainstream" in early 2010's.
Because you are interested in accuracy, I would point out that Elon was at Tesla from the beginning. Sure, two of his co-founders registered the name "Tesla Motors" about a year before Elon joined them but, before Elon, Tesla had no business plan, no employees, no tooling or production facilities, no blueprint for a car, no money, no phone number, no customers, no nothing. It was just a registered name and two men who thought they wanted to make some electric cars.

It's only Elon Musk haters who claim he wasn't a founder of the company we know as Tesla.
Sponsored