Sponsored

“Refresh” prediction

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Tesla MY, MB E350, MB S550
Clubs

I think the Odd car out is a DMP, I believe this will go to the Tri and the price will start at current QM.

Other than this and a range topping EQM at $120k and NACS being added in. Don't expect anything crazy. If they bring chromatic glass it will only be on the new EQM model.

Also since this is being called a cost savings upgrade I don't see any of this actually happening other than NACS. When you scale prodution to keep costs low you want as little as possible variance in options. I actually think Rivian currently has to many configurations. Another note is Rivian said they would supply NACS to CCS adapter for highspeed charging. So no mater what port you have you have ultimate flexibility.
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

But when a company is seemingly trying to survive, I doubt the product will be a higher quality product.
When changes are done well, it is possible to produce a higher quality product while reducing costs.

During the early Munro tear-down videos there were references to many changes which could reduce costs (materials, assembly time, or both) which wouldn’t decrease perceived quality to the consumer or, in the case of simplifying assemblies, increase perceived quality by reducing/changing fasteners while lowering NVH issues from rattling/buzzing parts.

I expect Rivian to implement win/win production changes wherever possible so the company sees a better bottom line while making the overall product quality better for buyers.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not perhaps for the actual savings of a NACS vs CCS1 port, but that way they don't have to ship out adapters at $200 (each or whatever they are paying for them).
They shouldn't be giving them away, a missed opportunity there. They are in no place to be handing things out.

Last edited:

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
They shouldn't be giving them away, I you want one buy it. They are in no place to be handing things out.
Rivian is giving each customer 1 adapter, they will probably stop giving them out once they transition the charging port from CCS1 to NACS. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I would hope that they switch the port to NACS as a cost cutting measure. Not perhaps for the actual savings of a NACS vs CCS1 port, but that way they don't have to ship out adapters at $200 (each or whatever they are paying for them). One way to simplify this, but yes, they would now have to modify all of their service center and RAN cables to accommodate both, but since this planned for 2025, might as well rip off the bandaid now.
It's not a matter of ripping off band-aids. They won't move to NACS ports until 2025 as previously reported because they simply haven't had enough lead time since the agreement with Tesla to engineer that change, adjust supply chains, and get that into production now.

kevster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, R1S
I think they are very tight-lipped about the feature changes in the 'Refresh' to minimize the Osborne effect. But I do believe the product will get better. If nothing else, the processors will naturally get cheaper and faster over time, maybe with the discounts of R2 volume, they'll be able to negotiate better pricing.

As a pre-price hike holder, I was going to take delivery but figured why not just wait a couple of months to see what they're gonna do, especially now that we have the 20% off coupon with a firm expiration date. The only thing that kept me on edge was maybe they'd cancel the pre-hike price, but since they've already committed to honor till Sept, no harm in waiting.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Rivian is giving each customer 1 adapter, they will probably stop giving them out once they transition the charging port from CCS1 to NACS. Please correct me if I am wrong here.
I just meant that there was an opportunity to make a little $ here but instead they continue the bleed.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As a pre-price hike holder, I was going to take delivery but figured why not just wait a couple of months to see what they're gonna do, especially now that we have the 20% off coupon with a firm expiration date. The only thing that kept me on edge was maybe they'd cancel the pre-hike price, but since they've already committed to honor till Sept, no harm in waiting
I highly doubt these new models are eligible, why would anyone with voucher choose from old stock? I am under understanding that the voucher is for the old supply & the selection will dwindle as the date approaches.
This is the sense I get from the Rivian guides.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Glstr

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Audi Q7 TDI
I highly doubt these new models are eligible, why would anyone with voucher choose from old stock? I am under understanding that the voucher is for the old supply & selection is will dwindle as the date approaches.
This is the sense I get from the Rivian guides.
I would argue that Rivian would prefer to sell the vehicles made after the factory update to those with a voucher. Post update vehicles will be cheaper to make and likely lower price. That means that Rivian would lose less to those with a voucher after revision. Otherwise, why wouldn’t they have just announced the end of locked in pricing before the shutdown?

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I would argue that Rivian would prefer to sell the vehicles made after the factory update to those with a voucher. Post update vehicles will be cheaper to make and likely lower price. That means that Rivian would lose less to those with a voucher after revision. Otherwise, why wouldn’t they have just announced the end of locked in pricing before the shutdown?
They still have a pretty big selection of 2023 R1Ts. I think they'd rather sell those, period.

bdwalters

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Hardware Engineer
The refresh will have improvements that many customers will like and want. They aren’t talking about that because they need to sell existing stock. The new R1s will be better. If they aren’t, Rivian is done. They have to nail this refresh to remain viable.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
The wheel and tire aren’t a problem physically or structurally. It’s more that there is only a single tire option and it’s pretty pricey. The 20” and 22” are more common and there are more options. So it’s a problem if anyone has an urgent replacement need. Also with only 1 manufacturer that makes that size probably isn’t good for them in terms of price negotiation.

I have read that many that choose the 21” wheel option regret it. Just take a look at the classifieds here. 20” wheels go quick and there are quite a few 21” available.
That will change over time as other manufacturers adopt 21" wheels. I remember back in the day when 20" wheels became a big thing because manufacturers started equipping their cars with them and the tire choices were pretty dismal because it was the new thing. But if you look around, there are quite a few cars that come with factory 21" wheels now, so the tire choices will increase. Jeep uses a 21" wheel on it's Summit Reserve Grand Cherokee for a few years now....I see other luxury SUVs also uses 21" wheels as well. The tire options will definitely increase.

OP
OP

Glstr

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Audi Q7 TDI
That will change over time as other manufacturers adopt 21" wheels. I remember back in the day when 20" wheels became a big thing because manufacturers started equipping their cars with them and the tire choices were pretty dismal because it was the new thing. But if you look around, there are quite a few cars that come with factory 21" wheels now, so the tire choices will increase. Jeep uses a 21" wheel on it's Summit Reserve Grand Cherokee for a few years now....I see other luxury SUVs also uses 21" wheels as well. The tire options will definitely increase.
I think there are a lot of 21” wheels out there. The issue is the specific tire size (275/55-21). I hope more adopt it. But the first R1T rolled off and was delivered in Oct 2021…and no other option yet.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I think there are a lot of 21” wheels out there. The issue is the specific tire size (275/55-21). I hope more adopt it. But the first R1T rolled off and was delivered in Oct 2021…and no other option yet.
Maybe. Jeep uses 275/45/21, so a little lower profile than Rivian.
Sponsored