Sponsored

“New” Quad Motor R1T pricing is crazy and not sustainable (even if Cybertruck priced higher than original reveal price estimate)

Bunker Hill

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired Subsea Engineer
I own a $75k “pre-price hike” 2022 R1T and hold a second reservation “just in case” (not pre-price hike) and was invited to The Shop today.

The $90k plus pricing for a Quad Motor R1T is crazy. I never would have considered purchasing a R1T at the new price point. I simply don’t see this price point being sustainable in the long run.

If new Cybertruck pricing comes in at 20% higher than the 2019 reveal prices I think Rivian pickup sales are going to see a dramatic sales drop. It’s about to get interesting in BEV pickup space.

0F1EDDF7-D022-4CBB-AF77-B1FE2583D1EC.jpeg

A6E2BD45-B747-4E8C-9973-CD0310CD626E.jpeg
I love my $75K QM R1T and think it is worth the additional $15K. I like the Rivian company, the sales, service, the fact that they get out in front is issues that come up. It feels like Rivian has integrity. Musk? Not so much.
Sponsored

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

I disagree. Cost is for sure a barrier as is political bias. People at or below median income buy all kinds of crap they can't afford like new flagship cell phones, Designer clothes, shoes, hand bags... if they hate rich people they sure go out of their way to emulate them.
Don’t forget six figure coal burners. I worked construction for a season and there were so many 80,90,100k plus lifted trucks with emission deletes for rolling coal at the job site (toys, not actual work trucks)
But politically, coal rolling is badass and climate change is a hoax

Dukecj

First Name
DukeofManville
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S, and 2023 Rivian R1T
Disagree. I have 30 year old engineers working for me making $120k a year, and they are buying $70k F150s and Silverados. I have two daughters in that demographic making the same in the medical field and in cybersecurity/intelligence. Whether it is a wise financial move at that age is debatable, but this demographic will absolutely buy a $70k CT.
That is anecdotal and out of line with the incomes of most Americans. In any case, your disagreement is not with me, but is with the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the U.S Census Bureau. Here is a source: https://www.forbes.com/advisor/busi...age/#average_salary_by_age_in_the_u_s_section

As you can see the average American in that age group makes less than half of the amount you quoted.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
That is anecdotal and out of line with the incomes of most Americans. In any case, your disagreement is not with me, but is with the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the U.S Census Bureau. Here is a source: https://www.forbes.com/advisor/busi...age/#average_salary_by_age_in_the_u_s_section

As you can see the average American in that age group makes less than half of the amount you quoted.
Nowhere did I say I was talking about the average wage earners in the 20-35 year old demographic buying a CT. I simply said the demographic has people that can, does and will buy a $70k vehicle. The data below was compiled in 2019, wages have inflated at least 15% since then according to SSA data. 20% of the US population is 20 to 35 years old, or about 66 million people. Extrapolating from the data below, the top 2% to 3% or more in the age group (easily 1.5 million people) have the income to afford a $70k vehicle. If 2% of that group buy a CT, that's 30,000 vehicles.

Rivian R1T R1S “New” Quad Motor R1T pricing is crazy and not sustainable (even if Cybertruck priced higher than original reveal price estimate) 1690832729947

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
If Tesla only builds 150k per year as a loss lead for Elon to save face on a stupid idea, does any of this matter? Shouldn't we just call out the charade? Elon is on record saying this will be a low volume product. Well, he doesn't have low volume reservations or interest.

If you put together the facts I'm highlighting, I feel like it's hard to conclude much else.

Tesla can lose a lot of money on the Cyber Truck, in production, if there's low volume. They can lose a lot of money and offer it at $50k to sink Rivian. We should all expect some kind of move along these lines. Tesla has anti-trust power in the BEV space and will wield it as best it can, right up until the very edge (and then over, when it feels it can defend itself) of what will get regulator attention.

When you see these Tesla price drops across the globe down to the point of breaking even or even potentially losing money on some models, there's no other way to interpret this data.

They control the supply chain, they control the manufacturing, they control the demand.

Boardwalk and Park Place have a few houses on it and are about to purchase hotels.
But would Elon want to sink Rivian? Or any other EV competitor?
That is counterproductive to his goals towards a cleaner environment.
I can see him being competitive, but probably not selling CT at a loss just to beat the competition.

Sponsored

Dzsink

First Name
Zoltan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model s 100D and Toyota Prius v3
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
I read that manufacturing efficiency/simplicity was built into the concept truck and this was how Tesla was able to offer the Dual Motor Cybertruck at the 2019 price of $49,900.

Manufacturing the truck with aluminum alloy Giga castings and no paint shop were supposedly a big reason behind the affordable price point.
Yes. But the current frame design have almost nothing in common with the presented truck.... I can wait to see until Tesla will start charging customer for unreasonable service items for the new cyber owners such as: T:your brakes are worn, C:eek:k, do you have a run out measurement or any other engineering data on it, T: It is our experience telling us that your brakes are worn and you are not a Tesla engineer - never mint that I am a mechanical engineer since 2001 and you don't understand. Or when you will need to wait 2 months for a service appointment and they will not provide a loaner while your car will be in service for 3 weeks ....

Buckets0fun

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
OF
On my YouTube channel I made a video discussing how elitest some EV owners come off, and this is the reason half of America hates EVs. It's not the EVs they really dislike, but the people they associate with EVs.

There is no need to "feel" when there is a lot of data to support my claim. The median household income in America is $74,000 annually. In any case, here is a link: https://www.forbes.com/advisor/busi...age/#average_salary_by_age_in_the_u_s_section

As far the 3/Y being cheap, go tell that to someone making $53,000 a year (which is the median income for 25–34-year-olds) better yet, ask their spouse if they think a $50K car is cheap after paying for daycare. Also, only 10% of Americans earn over $115,000 a year which may be why EV adoption is a 7%.

So no, that age group cannot afford a Cybertruck according to the BLS and the US Census Bureau unless your claim is these agencies numbers are delusional? If so, please provide reliable sources to support your claim.
So crazy how many young west coast families have a 3 or Y or both in the driveway and own solar roof or PV and and and.
Let’s not forget averages require many lows and many highs to drag the number down.
zero desire for your YT channel sorry duder.

Many cheap EVs are avail. Used leaf/i3/and so on… a luxury EV not being able to be afforded on a McDonald’s fry salting income, isn’t an issue that needs to be addressed. Public transportation would save them and the planet more in the long term.

meanwhile, I’m going out to my 130k luxury EV suv after working on my other 100k luxury EV suv. 😘

Buckets0fun

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
OF
Yes. But the current frame design have almost nothing in common with the presented truck.... I can wait to see until Tesla will start charging customer for unreasonable service items for the new cyber owners such as: T:your brakes are worn, C:eek:k, do you have a run out measurement or any other engineering data on it, T: It is our experience telling us that your brakes are worn and you are not a Tesla engineer - never mint that I am a mechanical engineer since 2001 and you don't understand. Or when you will need to wait 2 months for a service appointment and they will not provide a loaner while your car will be in service for 3 weeks ....
Are you confusing the rivian ownership experience for other EV brands

I mean, until the twatter purchase everyone loved elon and tesla but got sad over his twits.

now, the new kid on the block owner group is convinced that a mass produced vehicle isn’t going to be real? Sounds like some people don’t know product lifecycle or product development if they think the CT was coming out before: the plaid drivetrain it uses or the Y/semi tech it needed. Or the charging tech.

tesla isn’t rivian, they already rushed a car to market, they learned. Roadster won’t be around until pack weight to density comes down. It’s not magic, it’s $$$.

How long was the rivian shown on stage before production units were delivered? with “old” battery tech, poorly managed regen when on long descents?
Glass houses meet stones. 😂

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
I think this is absolutely the case. I also think that folks at the lower end of the pay scale spend badly (just check out the kinds of crap that they put in their shopping cart, I bet their bill is very similar to mine, just the contents very different).

Also on the EV adoption/rich vs poor debate.... notice how the "less wealthy folks" still find the $ to jack up their trucks, put on stupid size wheels and loud exhausts all of which probably worsens their mpg?

Choices...just saying.
That is quite condescending. $75k+ vehicles are not affordable for the average household, regardless of spending habits. I am quite happy we are able to own one, but I also appreciate that I'm lucky. It would be interesting to know what the average Rivian owner household income is, and I am pretty sure it's way above average.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
But would Elon want to sink Rivian? Or any other EV competitor?
That is counterproductive to his goals towards a cleaner environment.
I can see him being competitive, but probably not selling CT at a loss just to beat the competition.
That’s just an Elon marketing strategy. He would be happy to put any car maker out of business if he could match that car makers number of car sales.

Sponsored

CheezyNachos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure: LA Silver/Dark Mountain
Clubs

What's with all the dick waving that adds nothing to the conversation? We get it, you like the smell of your own farts. Point made.

Regarding this thread, it cannot be overstated:

Given the specs, the R1T remains competitive within its current price point. Don't let the fact that many of you obtained one at a low price detract from this.

Expensive? Sure. Crazy? Most assuredly not.

Sfosro

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
I believe the steel ball proof windows weren’t the only things the CT over promised. It shows you just how ready they were at that time and makes you wonder how much else was BS. This plus the fact it is pure ugly causes me doubts at its success.

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
My main point was at $73k the Quad Motor/Large battery pack was a great value. It offered a lot of bang for the buck and why I ended up purchasing one. IMO the value proposition has pretty much disappeared at the new $90k+ price point.

I am curious. Are there any pre-price hike R1T reservation holders still waiting on a truck?

Last edited:

Stevetom84

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The whole thing with the CT preorders and $100 deposit is this was done at a low enough number to increase the preorder numbers. I would guess the vast majority of these preorders won’t complete a purchase. One way to think about it is the richest man in the world has 3 million people loaning him $100 interest free. Now the interest you would earn on $100 is negligible, but you start talking $300 million and some of that for several years…..that’s a lot of free money for Elon and Tesla.

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
That money is in an escrow account.
Sponsored