Sponsored

“New” Quad Motor R1T pricing is crazy and not sustainable (even if Cybertruck priced higher than original reveal price estimate)

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I own a $75k “pre-price hike” 2022 R1T and hold a second reservation “just in case” (not pre-price hike) and was invited to The Shop today.

The $90k plus pricing for a Quad Motor R1T is crazy. I never would have considered purchasing a R1T at the new price point. I simply don’t see this price point being sustainable in the long run.

If new Cybertruck pricing comes in at 20% higher than the 2019 reveal prices I think Rivian pickup sales are going to see a dramatic sales drop. It’s about to get interesting in BEV pickup space.

Rivian R1T R1S “New” Quad Motor R1T pricing is crazy and not sustainable (even if Cybertruck priced higher than original reveal price estimate) 0F1EDDF7-D022-4CBB-AF77-B1FE2583D1EC

Rivian R1T R1S “New” Quad Motor R1T pricing is crazy and not sustainable (even if Cybertruck priced higher than original reveal price estimate) A6E2BD45-B747-4E8C-9973-CD0310CD626E
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I own a $75k “pre-price hike” 2022 R1T and hold a second reservation “just in case” (not pre-price hike) and was invited to The Shop today.

The $90k plus pricing for a Quad Motor R1T is crazy. I never would have considered purchasing a R1T at the new price point. I simply don’t see this price point being sustainable in the long run.

If new Cybertruck pricing comes in at 20% higher than the 2019 reveal prices I think Rivian pickup sales are going to see a dramatic sales drop. It’s about to get interesting in BEV pickup space.

0F1EDDF7-D022-4CBB-AF77-B1FE2583D1EC.jpeg

A6E2BD45-B747-4E8C-9973-CD0310CD626E.jpeg
R1T and R1S are still below the new lower Model X prices.

I think people are going to get sticker shock on the Cyber Truck, there is a reason the prices and specs are not being released, that usually does not mean good news.

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Yes, Cybertruck pricing is the big elephant in the room.

Also, this isn’t going to help vehicle or housing sales;

The Fed hikes interest rates by a quarter point and hints at another increase this year

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
If CT prices were something they were proud of, why wouldn’t they have already announced them and start hurting the competition now?

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I read that manufacturing efficiency/simplicity was built into the concept truck and this was how Tesla was able to offer the Dual Motor Cybertruck at the 2019 price of $49,900.

Manufacturing the truck with aluminum alloy Giga castings and no paint shop were supposedly a big reason behind the affordable price point.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Silverado EV RST - ~$105k+
R1T QM - $87k+ ✔

Sierra EV Denali Edition - $107k+
R1T QM - $87k+ ✔

F150 Lightning Platinum - $94k+
R1T QM $87k+ ✔

Tesla CT - $???
R1T QM $87k+ ✔ (I don’t give a F what the CT prices at not buying it)

Premium truck to premium truck Rivian wins against all comers, I doubt high end CT will be below $87k

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
We will see. New CT pricing is all speculation at this point.

Industry experts are all over the place on predictions. Some say mid $60k for the Dual, others say $89k for the Tri/Quad.

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Anyone have the link to Elon telling investors that the CT price was going to be indicative of the radical new production they invented?(which to me was the first admission that shit was gonna be $$$$)

Sponsored

ElGuapo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - April 2021 preorder
If I were in the market for an R1T, there are plenty of used ones in the $76k price range with relatively low mileage. I would definitely not pay $90k for it. Or the R1S I just bought with pre price hike price.

Tesla can afford to undercut competition and they do have economies of scale. I think the big wake up call for EVs here is the popularity of the R1S.

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
If Tesla only builds 150k per year as a loss lead for Elon to save face on a stupid idea, does any of this matter? Shouldn't we just call out the charade? Elon is on record saying this will be a low volume product. Well, he doesn't have low volume reservations or interest.

If you put together the facts I'm highlighting, I feel like it's hard to conclude much else.

Tesla can lose a lot of money on the Cyber Truck, in production, if there's low volume. They can lose a lot of money and offer it at $50k to sink Rivian. We should all expect some kind of move along these lines. Tesla has anti-trust power in the BEV space and will wield it as best it can, right up until the very edge (and then over, when it feels it can defend itself) of what will get regulator attention.

When you see these Tesla price drops across the globe down to the point of breaking even or even potentially losing money on some models, there's no other way to interpret this data.

They control the supply chain, they control the manufacturing, they control the demand.

Boardwalk and Park Place have a few houses on it and are about to purchase hotels.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
We will see. New CT pricing is all speculation at this point.

Industry experts are all over the place on predictions. Some say mid $60k for the Dual, others say $89k for the Tri/Quad.
No one knows how TSLA will price the CT until they actually release pricing. Anything else is pure speculation. Other OEM's with EV pickups don't seem to be too concerned. I think the R1T at post 3/1 pricing is right for the market.

RivianR1TinSFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars

0F1EDDF7-D022-4CBB-AF77-B1FE2583D1EC.jpeg

A6E2BD45-B747-4E8C-9973-CD0310CD626E.jpeg
R1T Quad pricing is actually in line (lower in some cases) with its competitors. I got mine pre the price increase and will absolutely get one at the current price if I was in the market for one.
Sponsored