Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
This article is a nothing-burger.
Why does everyone mention that RJ eats a vegetarian diet? I've never once heard what Jim Farley eats, I can only assume it's strictly cheeseburgers and french fries, but also couldn't care less.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Why does everyone mention that RJ eats a vegetarian diet? I've never once heard what Jim Farley eats, I can only assume it's strictly cheeseburgers and french fries, but also couldn't care less.
It's pointing out that he's not as hypocritical as other CEOs that claim to care about sustainability of their product. IE: Rivian is using vegan leather and RJ isn't going out to have a steak every Friday.

Reactions: KRG

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Correct, RJ eats a nothing-burger, since its a veggie burger. :CWL:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Why does everyone mention that RJ eats a vegetarian diet?
I guess it's an attempt to cast him against type/the typical Detroit Auto tycoon?

Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I believe hands on the steering wheel is how Rivian ensures drivers’ attention on the road. Ford uses cameras. Between the two, I much prefer hands on the wheel, which is easy and less of a privacy concern for me
Hands on the steering wheel isn't a substitute for a driver monitoring system.

A properly implemented Driver Monitoring system should not have any privacy concerns because its a closed loop system.

I would be absolutely surprised if the R2 didn't come with a driver monitoring system. It's my understanding that its a requirement for the European market. Plus if the situation on our roads continues to deteriorate were going to have that requirement as well.

This is a separate topic from hands free. it's often connected because hands free comes with a requirement for proper driver monitoring.

No one REALLY wants driver monitoring for themselves. It's only purpose is to nag us, and tell us that were idiots that can't be trusted.

We want it for OTHER people, and we're simply willing to sacrifice that dumb thing watching us for better insurance rates.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
My understanding is he's a vegan which is different than a vegetarian diet.

What this tells me is he's fully onboard with sustainability.

I'll be a meat eater for the rest of my life. In fact I'll do battle with other humans over the last steak. But, I have a deep respect for Vegans because to me its the ultimate sacrifice.

Beyond respect his dietary choices don't matter.

Unless Rivian starts to open Cafes next to the RAN stations, and they only have Vegan options. That's going to be a DOH!! moment.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Unless Rivian starts to open Cafes next to the RAN stations, and they only have Vegan options. That's going to be a DOH!! moment.
Vegan donuts are pretty okay.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Let's hope the Driver+ additions are going to include hands free highway driving.

Even Jeep is getting this feature now.
It's not really new. My 2019 Grand Cherokee has a hands-free "lane assist" feature, but it sucks. It ping-pongs the vehicle between the lines unless the road is perfectly straight. Maybe this is Jeep's more serious effort.

FWIW, my Jeep will also park itself (including parallel parking too) and it doesn't a really good job at that, but it only steers. The driver still controls the braking. I never use the feature though.

Sponsored

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It's pointing out that he's not as hypocritical as other CEOs that claim to care about sustainability of their product. IE: Rivian is using vegan leather and RJ isn't going out to have a steak every Friday.
Dude, every brand that wants to keep costs down is using “vegan” fake, cheap leather.

SRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
I guess it depends on how you use it. I only use the assist on open stretches of highway with very little traffic.

Let’s pretend that Tesla AP1 has a way to go hands free, it is pretty relaxing to sit and watch what is happening around you. The Rivian is pretty easy to use, I just rest a hand on my thigh with index finger and thumb touching the steering wheel but really would prefer them to add hands free to it.
Put an ankle weight on the side of the steering wheel and never have to touch the wheel with your hands except to change lanes.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

It was actually a great article.

I have to hand it to RJ. Launched a car company at the beginning of the plandemic and it is succeeding....maybe not as fast as he envisioned, but how many EV companies have failed with normal worldwide situations let alone a plandemic?

We have had our R1T since May 3rd, 2023 and while the first month was sketchy (headlight charging system and the SC had it for almost 4 weeks before it was fixed), it has been perfect since then and it has over 13,000 so far.

I am curious not only what the R2 will look like but the R3.

Does anyone think Rivian will do a Sedan?. I hope not......there is already a crowded space for Sedans.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Dude, every brand that wants to keep costs down is using “vegan” fake, cheap leather.
Dude, and how many of those brands have vegan CEOs?
Sponsored