Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Not at all. The shark fin is about 1.25” below the top of the roof rack.
Any thoughts/concerns on all the surrounding metal/framing interfering with signal strength? I.e. LTE or WiFi
Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Any thoughts/concerns on all the surrounding metal/framing interfering with signal strength? I.e. LTE or WiFi
Yeah I had thought about that, so far I haven’t noticed any issues, I guess its all aluminum and fiberglass so the impact should be minimal.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

3rd night in the camper and best one yet. The sound of the waterfall, the breeze and sun peaking through the trees… and like a true outdoorsman im having microwave lasagna!

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) E6624258-A711-4B86-84A6-D4F7C0096FBE

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) 586F2EF5-8267-45EA-A366-777D0D8F7A9C

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) 0FC4F26D-C46E-4A5D-901D-2D704D99FB96

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) D6FA9AB6-3373-41C6-838B-0A3A8491C4D2

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So those asking about efficiency here is what I have so far:

1680819503565.png

Columns are Miles, energy used and mi/kWh.

The first two I was driving in the mid 70s and was dealing with a lot of AC use and traffic. The third leg includes an overnight camping spot on Walker Pass where I used the battery to power a space heater for a while and recharge my ‘house’ battery.

The last one seems about the best, near ideal conditions around 70 F and little to no wind. I had the D+ set at 65 mph most of this drive up CA 99. Sadly I have only had the 21s on my truck for a week now so don’t know what I should expect.

It seems that speeds above 70 mph really hit your efficiency, probably around 1.6-1.7 mi/kWh and at 65 mph you can get around 2 mi/kWh.

I’ll keep tracking on my route back to OR and update the main post.
I'd probably be looking at something to kick the air out from the cab sides and adding a wind deflector in front of the popup on the roof if this were my install. Having anything that completely interrupts the laminar flow is really detrimental for aero.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I'd probably be looking at something to kick the air out from the cab sides and adding a wind deflector in front of the popup on the roof if this were my install. Having anything that completely interrupts the laminar flow is really detrimental for aero.
Yeah there is some room for improvement here, I am thinking about the space up front on the roof first off with the roof rack fabricating something shouldn’t be too difficult.

Sponsored

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
Let's see the top/bed...

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

fire marble

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Subaru Outback, 2022 Rivian R1T
Nice! My spouse reported seeing a blue truck with a cab-over topper headed north on 97 earlier this morning and I guess that was probably you. She was headed southbound so it would have only been a fleeting glimpse.

Excited to hear how you fare with this. I have my heart set on a wedge style pop up like a Super Pacific or a GFC. Not offered for Rivian yet, but once such a thing hits the market I'll be eager to hear your longer-term thoughts since it'll be a similar hit to the aero.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Nice! My spouse reported seeing a blue truck with a cab-over topper headed north on 97 earlier this morning and I guess that was probably you. She was headed southbound so it would have only been a fleeting glimpse.

Excited to hear how you fare with this. I have my heart set on a wedge style pop up like a Super Pacific or a GFC. Not offered for Rivian yet, but once such a thing hits the market I'll be eager to hear your longer-term thoughts since it'll be a similar hit to the aero.
Oh yep, most likely. I camped near Paulina last night on my way back from So Cal. The beauty of a spot pictured above, technically a summer campground very icy drive out this morning on my 21s, in fact I stopped and pulled out some couple in a Charger or similar dodge muscle car type who had got stuck last night.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It actually fits in my garage!!!! Pleasant surprise, in standard ride height it’s ~91” to the top of the fan while my garage opening is 93”.

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) 0EFC5649-8778-44CE-857C-7F79C9DA3F0A

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It actually fits in my garage!!!! Pleasant surprise, in standard ride height it’s ~91” to the top of the fan while my garage opening is 93”.

0EFC5649-8778-44CE-857C-7F79C9DA3F0A.jpeg
Hope you use a spotter, I would be afraid I forgot to check my ride height before pulling in.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Hope you use a spotter, I would be afraid I forgot to check my ride height before pulling in.
Ha, fair enough. I’m actually more concerned I’ll leave the fan open than I will be in high when I come home.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
How's road noise?

My dream setup is a GFC or Lone Peak, but I don't love the tradeoffs... might just stick with the condor. Or buy an airstream 😂

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

How's road noise?

My dream setup is a GFC or Lone Peak, but I don't love the tradeoffs... might just stick with the condor. Or buy an airstream 😂
I think when the relative speed (wind + driving speed) gets above 70 mph it can get a little noisy, not bad below 65 mph. I think it is from air coming over the roof rack and then under the camper so possibly could be improved with a larger wind deflector.

The hard sides really sold me, it seems more usable in the winter (or in general) when the wind whips up. I’ll be making some trade-offs relative to a van but the capability of the truck make up for it

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

I know Super Pacific is considering supporting the R1T. They have a list of interested customers and there have been internal discussions about it. The more people who join the list, the better chance it has on becoming a reality.
Sponsored