Sponsored

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
After placing an order for an R1T Adventure model in August of 2021, I received a VIN a few days ago and went through the 8-steps. After I had completed all the paperwork, paid for insurance and sent off payment for the R1T, I had a call from my guide to tell me that the service center where I was picking up the truck wanted me to know that it did not have a tonneau cover. This was a surprise to me and was only a day before I was scheduled to drive two hours to get the truck.

My mistake was not to catch the fact that when Rivian went through the price change this spring that they no longer included the tonneau cover in the Adventure model. I have not changed my configuration once since they day I entered it in August of 2021, so didn't catch that deletion. Yes, I should have caught that, but since every single truck discussed on this forum has come with the powered tonneau cover (and I've read many of those articles), I just assumed incorrectly mine had it. When I discussed my configuration with my guide a few weeks ago, he did not bring up anything about the tonneau cover. I'm just mentioning all this so others can be sure to check their orders. Apparently, just in the last week or so has Rivian started delivering trucks without tonneau covers.

Anyway, there was further confusion because my guide told me my truck would not accept the manual cover either. I discussed with my wife and decided to go ahead with the delivery, unless there were other problems with the truck. Upon reflection I realized I would probably only need a tonneau a minority of the time, though I did wonder about the modest effect on range of not having a tonneau. Fortunately, when we arrived at the service center to look at the truck, not only was it in excellent condition overall (no build flaws), the truck bed DID have the slots for the manual tonneau cover. So my guide had incorrect information on that.

I spoke to a technician at the service center to ask if the motorized tonneau cover could be installed, especially after an improved version is available. He understandably said he didn't know, but looking at the bed of the truck he thought it looked pretty similar to the ones with the motorized tonneau. I'm uploading some photos of the truck bed so others can see what it looks like without the tonneau. The button is different (just releases the tailgate, no function for the tonneau), but the tech said the button is easily replaceable. It looks like the vertical panel at the front of the bed is a separate piece from the side walls, so I'm presuming it can be removed, but not sure of that. At the front of the bed, there is a rubber strip that presumably the manual tonneau cover panels will bump up against. The tech thought it was likely that more info on the manual tonneau covers would be available in the next month or so.

I have had a variety of tonneau covers on past work trucks and after reviewing some of the current ones on the market, most of which will probably not be available for the Rivian, I was glad to see that I am likely to be able to use Rivian's manual tonneau. With the slots already in place, it will prevent having to mount a whole additional metal frame around the top of the bed to install a third party tonneau. In other words, a much cleaner installation will be possible using those built-in slots for the times I want a tonneau on. And I really think it could be quite awhile before any third party company bothers to make a tonneau sized for the Rivian, given that all the R1Ts sold to date have come with a tonneau and many of the new ones will be either the motorized or manual Rivian options. So probably not a very sizable market for third party tonneau options.

Aside from the tonneau surprise, I'm very happy with the new truck so far. Build quality seems excellent, no misaligned panels, steering wheel is straight, no wind noise from passenger side or anywhere else, just extremely quiet in the 150 miles I've driven so far (21 inch tires). The driver plus system worked well on Interstate 70 driving east from Kansas City, as did other features of the vehicle like heated seats and steering wheel. The steering wheel did get less warm after a while. I turned it off, back on, and it warmed back up again after a bit.

The person who helped us at the service center was very personable and helpful, and the two technicians we spoke with were both very polite and helpful as well. Very glad to finally have the truck!

Rivian R1T R1S Took delivery on an R1T yesterday without the tonneau IMG_2822

Rivian R1T R1S Took delivery on an R1T yesterday without the tonneau IMG_2824

Rivian R1T R1S Took delivery on an R1T yesterday without the tonneau IMG_2825

Rivian R1T R1S Took delivery on an R1T yesterday without the tonneau IMG_2816

Rivian R1T R1S Took delivery on an R1T yesterday without the tonneau IMG_2817

Rivian R1T R1S Took delivery on an R1T yesterday without the tonneau IMG_2818

Rivian R1T R1S Took delivery on an R1T yesterday without the tonneau IMG_2819

Rivian R1T R1S Took delivery on an R1T yesterday without the tonneau IMG_2820

Rivian R1T R1S Took delivery on an R1T yesterday without the tonneau IMG_2821
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Thanks for sharing! I was actually wondering if it was possible to get the powered tonneau installed at a later date. Sounds like they arenā€™t really sure either. I donā€™t think youā€™ll miss it as long as the manual one is worthwhile. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m hoping for as well.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I heard that Rivian is shipping trucks without the covers now to retrofit the new design later. You still had to pay for it though. Made it sound like they might have run out of the original bad design.
News came out that they aren't going to allow retrofit.

Last edited:

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
A couple of things here are surprisingā€” that they said the manual cover wouldnā€™t work and that the technician didnā€™t know if a powered one could be installed. Is rivian really making 3 types of beds? Doesnā€™t sound very efficient to me!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
A couple of things here are surprisingā€” that they said the manual cover wouldnā€™t work and that the technician didnā€™t know if a powered one could be installed. Is rivian really making 3 types of beds? Doesnā€™t sound very efficient to me!
It makes sense that tonneau-less trucks are the same as ones sold with the manual tonneau included - leaves room for Rivian to sell the manual tonneau as an $$$$ accessory after sale.

Rivian is not making three different beds. theyā€™re making one. Slots are the same. Forward panel is the same. They seem to just have a bulb seal where the power tonneau would come out.

retrofitting of the power tonneau is probably prohibitive because the wiring for it likely isnā€™t there.

Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Glad I found this thread. Thanks for posting the pics. That's almost the exact truck I have reserved, minus that I'm waiting for Max Pack... LOL. šŸ¤¦

Nice looking bed. I've seen another thread where someone already removed that plastic cover at the end to mount a modular tool storage system. Now if I can figure out a way to mount a toolbox in there and somehow make the bed about two feet longer, we'd really be talking. šŸ¤£

jwkest22

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S (Coming Soon)
Occupation
Risk Analyst
After placing an order for an R1T Adventure model in August of 2021, I received a VIN a few days ago and went through the 8-steps. After I had completed all the paperwork, paid for insurance and sent off payment for the R1T, I had a call from my guide to tell me that the service center where I was picking up the truck wanted me to know that it did not have a tonneau cover.
Apologies if I'm missing the answer to this in your post but....did you pay for the powered tonneau as an option in your purchase summary? I thought I heard some folks say they ordered their truck with the powered cover and it shipped without one (to be installed at a later date).

OP
OP

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
No, I did not pay the extra price for the tonneau. I had incorrectly assumed it was still included as one of the features of the Adventure package (which was originally the case but changed in spring of 2022 without my noticing it). It was my oversight, I'm not complaining about Rivian, but just wanted others to be sure to check their configuration and also to show photos of what the option without the tonneau looks like.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Thanks for posting and the great pix!

I have "manual tonneau" configured which for all I care could be "no tonneau" at delivery with a promise to ship the manual tonneau panels to me at a later date.

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜20 Model Y, ā€˜22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Thanks for posting and the great pix!

I have "manual tonneau" configured which for all I care could be "no tonneau" at delivery with a promise to ship the manual tonneau panels to me at a later date.
Same here, Iā€™d be okay with that option if it was offered.

Sponsored

Wentworth

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜14 Silverado 1500, ā€˜22 i-Pace
Occupation
Stay at home parent, former airline pilot
Same!

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
It makes sense that tonneau-less trucks are the same as ones sold with the manual tonneau included - leaves room for Rivian to sell the manual tonneau as an $$$$ accessory after sale.

Rivian is not making three different beds. theyā€™re making one. Slots are the same. Forward panel is the same. They seem to just have a bulb seal where the power tonneau would come out.

retrofitting of the power tonneau is probably prohibitive because the wiring for it likely isnā€™t there.
I had actually assumed that we might see a 2nd bed design for the manual tonneau / no-tonneau options. The powered tonneau requires a pretty big cavity between the bed and the gear tunnel to store the slats, which is now just empty space.

And if this was the plan all along, then why not start shipping that bulb seal thing before they shipped thousands of broken/janky powered tonneaus? Could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by pulling those units sooner, it seems.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
It doesnā€˜t make business sense to install a 1.0 series powered tonneau cover with a flawed design.

R1T-8171

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep Wrangler 4XE, Dodge Magnum SRT8
Occupation
CDJR Sales
Kinda like the open bed option to be honest. My tonneau stays closed cause it sounds like a torture chamber when opening.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I had actually assumed that we might see a 2nd bed design for the manual tonneau / no-tonneau options. The powered tonneau requires a pretty big cavity between the bed and the gear tunnel to store the slats, which is now just empty space.

And if this was the plan all along, then why not start shipping that bulb seal thing before they shipped thousands of broken/janky powered tonneaus? Could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by pulling those units sooner, it seems.
It wouldā€™ve made sense for the tonneau cover cavity to have been turned into accessible storage for sure.

I wonder what the actual failure rate on the powered tonneau is.
Sponsored