Change Alexa wake word?

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Hi folks - My daughter, who was born before Jeff Bezos tried to ruin her life, is named Alexa. She was once reprimanded at school for threatening to kick a kid in the nuts for him looking at her and saying “Alexa, play a song”. This is funny once, maybe twice. It is not funny after that. Also, I bought her ice cream that day.

But I digress. Because she is in fact a holder of that name, and she has no interest in changing it, AND I would like to use the voice control features in my truck … can you change the wake word to something besides “Alexa”?
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Echo devices allow the following wake words: Alexa, Echo, Computer, and Ziggy.
I would imagine those 4 options would be available in a Rivian.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Change Alexa wake word? 1642181057699

also love the quantum leap reference.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
That's the case for Amazon produced Echo devices, 3rd party devices so far haven't let you change the wake word. For those that need it, let's hope that Amazon allows the implementation in the Rivian to allow wake word change.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Hi folks - My daughter, who was born before Jeff Bezos tried to ruin her life, is named Alexa. She was once reprimanded at school for threatening to kick a kid in the nuts for him looking at her and saying “Alexa, play a song”. This is funny once, maybe twice. It is not funny after that. Also, I bought her ice cream that day.

But I digress. Because she is in fact a holder of that name, and she has no interest in changing it, AND I would like to use the voice control features in my truck … can you change the wake word to something besides “Alexa”?
I'm sorry your daughter, who has a lovely name, has to deal with that. I have a cousin (in her early 30s) named Siri.

Sponsored

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
I'm sorry your daughter, who has a lovely name, has to deal with that. I have a cousin (in her early 30s) named Siri.
Regretting my choice to name my son Google.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
That's what you get for just making up a name out of random letters! At least Alexa and Siri are real names! :p

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Straight out of the manual:

Disable Wake Word
Alexa is the only supported voice service in Rivian vehicles. You can disable the wake word, "Alexa" by the following ways on the center display:

l Open the Alexa panel by choosing the Alexa icon at the top left of the status bar.
l Go to the Settings > Apps > Alexa me

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
There used to be a section in the manual to change the word, but that has been removed. Looks like now it is either use Alexa or disable.

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Straight out of the manual:
You can disable it, yes. But can you change it? I want to use the feature but clearly can’t do that if it has the same wake word as my daughter’s name.

Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
You can disable it, yes. But can you change it? I want to use the feature but clearly can’t do that if it has the same wake word as my daughter’s name.
Not sure if this helps, but the left scroll-wheel button on the wheel activates Alexa without using the wake word—so you could just press that and say your command, no need to say "Alexa" ever.

I would personally prefer the physical in most situations, but I'm also a little paranoid and can't stand cloud-based spyware. So I will most likely be disabling the Amazon integrations completely if there's no on-vehicle voice control.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
You need to ask this question directly of Rivian to ensure they are aware of this.

I wouldn't count on the capability out of the gate but perhaps in the future. In the mean time, hopefully you can disable the wake word and get by with push-to-talk until they can improve the situation.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
I'm all good with my kids names of Ask Jeeves and Altavista ... those names are NEVER spoken in casual conversation.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So odd that you can’t customize the name. I wonder what the rationale is?

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Not sure if this helps, but the left scroll-wheel button on the wheel activates Alexa without using the wake word—so you could just press that and say your command, no need to say "Alexa" ever.

I would personally prefer the physical in most situations, but I'm also a little paranoid and can't stand cloud-based spyware. So I will most likely be disabling the Amazon integrations completely if there's no on-vehicle voice control.
Perhaps...the combo: disabling the Alexa wake word, and then using the button on the wheel to activate?
Sponsored