First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Nice ... 3 Rivian logos per wheel setup (rim, center cap, brake caliper) ... wonder if a total per-vehicle Rivian logo count has been determined?

On topic, I originally had 22's on my order, but switched back to the standard 21's to optimize for range. But you never know, I may want to be a baller and bump back up to 22's. ??
I started counting today when I got my test drive and… there are so many… so so so many…
Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I love the look of the 22" wheels and have that on my configuration currently (LE R1S). However, the more I read about everyone raving about the 20", the more I am worried I am making a mistake here. Here in Maryland, we do get our fair share of rain and some light snow so I think the 22" AS should do fine in that regards. However, my worry is about the harshness of the ride. Has anyone driven a 22" shod R1T at one of these events and can speak to how it rode?
You can look at this in a different way…driving the R1T on 20”s, and an dirt with many bumps and ruts, it felt so smooth, I do not think the 22”s will be a rough drive at all.

Kenshaka

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Titan/2005 Honda Accord/2017 Zero DSR
Occupation
Radiology Technologist
the suspension looks really low in those pictures
I was told it was in Sport mode. I thought it was Kneel mode though

FPHater

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have an electric longboard
Occupation
Retired Air Force
I love the look of the 22" wheels and have that on my configuration currently (LE R1S). However, the more I read about everyone raving about the 20", the more I am worried I am making a mistake here. Here in Maryland, we do get our fair share of rain and some light snow so I think the 22" AS should do fine in that regards. However, my worry is about the harshness of the ride. Has anyone driven a 22" shod R1T at one of these events and can speak to how it rode?
Have you also considered how bad the roads in Maryland suck?

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Although those 22s look very sexy, am I the only one that sees them and think pothole flat due to limited sidewall thickness?

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Although those 22s look very sexy, am I the only one that sees them and think pothole flat due to limited sidewall thickness?
I live in Pennsylvania. That is all I can think when I see them.

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Looks like they can get scratched very easily. Can you sing… ‘’curb rash ‘’

even the wood chips are close to the rim.

20’’ for me. It’s a truck folks.
Not with all of the cameras ;)

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I'm configured for the 20s because I want more sidewall and more tire, but I would prefer the stock 21s for the range most days. 22s are a non starter. can't imagine wanting lower profile tires on a truck unless the increased range drastically. and even then....

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

If I had to guess I'm sure the 22s will be fine. If anything the 20s should be more harsh based on the tread but everyone for the most part has raved how smooth the ride is on those. If you only get rain and light snow the 22s with AS will work.

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Nice ... 3 Rivian logos per wheel setup (rim, center cap, brake caliper) ... wonder if a total per-vehicle Rivian logo count has been determined?
Still less than half as many logos as the HUMMER EV has. GM incorporated the Hummer branding everywhere you look on that thing. Most are subtle, but damn it's tacky when you start looking at it all.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
If the skidpad numbers on the 22s come back high enough, I might be swayed. I'm used to cars pulling better than .95Gs, but if you give me a 7k-lb SUV that can pull, say, .92Gs on a skidpad, that's an acceptable tradeoff and I'll keep a set of more aggressive wheels/tires as needed. Real curious to see what kind of tread life these tires get when pushed a bit with that much weight.

The all-terrains got .87Gs with Edmunds, so I think it's doable with some good summer rubber.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I had an Audi with nigh performance tires. The one strange effect was the car would get pulled and pushed sideways when the road was particularly uneven. For example, on a road that often has heavy trucks there were places where the road had ruts, almost like gullies, in the pavement. If I drove up not into the rut, but a little to one side the car would push me back into the rut’s center. It was disconcerting. I had to keep hold of the steering wheel or it would spin out of my control.

I’ve driven those roads before and after the Audi, and never had that effect before. Those performance tires were very low profile, so not much give at all.

Michigan has terrible roads and I never got a pothole flat in that car. Then again, the A4 didn’t weigh three tons.

If I got the 22" wheels on the Rivian I’d eventually replace them with something having a inch or so more sidewall. It wouldn’t be a problem, as it would bring the tire circumference just up to the same 34" that the 20’s create.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I had an Audi with nigh performance tires. The one strange effect was the car would get pulled and pushed sideways when the road was particularly uneven. For example, on a road that often has heavy trucks there were places where the road had ruts, almost like gullies, in the pavement. If I drove up not into the rut, but a little to one side the car would push me back into the rut’s center. It was disconcerting. I had to keep hold of the steering wheel or it would spin out of my control.

I’ve driven those roads before and after the Audi, and never had that effect before. Those performance tires were very low profile, so not much give at all.

Michigan has terrible roads and I never got a pothole flat in that car. Then again, the A4 didn’t weigh three tons.

If I got the 22" wheels on the Rivian I’d eventually replace them with something having a inch or so more sidewall. It wouldn’t be a problem, as it would bring the tire circumference just up to the same 34" that the 20’s create.
Hmmmmm, and I thought I was locked in with my choice of wheels from my last configuration switch….?

SirArpsAlot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Lexus Rx350, Reserved R1S
Clubs

So are the 22" not all-season? Would it be a bad idea to have these for Chicago winters?
Sponsored