Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
And here was I feeling guilty about buying a set of 20's to go along with the 21's for when I got off the roads. :blush:
Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
While we discussed the second set option I was thinking about, no pricing was actually mentioned. I think that when they're available for purchase, they'll likely be added to the configurator. My question was asked because I was trying to find which would be the lowest priced option and therefore, allow me to take advantage by including the spendier option on the pre-order.

I'm not sure they're ready to share that pricing, but at $800 for the spare (correct? Busy and no time to open the Configurator), they won't, nor should they be cheap. As to powder-coating those wheels, I'd hate to see that done. From a cost standpoint, it may be the best option, if the safety and other problems with the aluminum mentioned here allow it. Like others here, I've heard a quality job can be had for around $600, but I'm spooked by the safety concerns.

To me, the originals are beautiful and a signature piece of Rivian's style. I know I've used this line here before, but hey, I'm not proud. Powder-coating these reminds me of the guy who came home from the Olympics and was so proud of his gold medal, he had it bronzed.
?>?=?
Ahhh, the full size spare tire costs on the R1T - genius! Didn't think about that since my reservation is for the R1S. And you're right, it's $800 per wheel + tire for the 20s. And for the 22s. AAAndd for the black versions of both. Which is what annoys me about this whole pricing strategy from Rivian. So if we extrapolate their spare tire pricing for the 20 blacks, 4 x $800 = $3,200 for a brand new additional set. But somehow we have to pay $3,500 just to upgrade from the regular R1S 20s to the black 20s, which are functionally exactly the same?

Like many others, I would love to get Rivian's original black wheels and not bother with powder coating and plasti dipping. But they're making it impossible to ignore the confounding math.

Back on track with questions: apologize if this has been asked before, but did you see any interior ambience lighting at all?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Brice,

I won't lie about it, I love the seats in my Volvo R-Design, and so does my backside. As we've discussed before, they fit like a glove, with solid thigh and side bolsters. They allow me to stay locked in when using the Polestar performance through the PS4S Summer tires. That said, I wouldn't want anything that form-fitting in a pickup.

The R1T seats are roomier, but still kept me locked in and well-supported while making high speed road maneuvers, drifting in the loose stuff, rolling over the gravel mounds and side hills, and even while summiting Mt. Rivian's boulderfields and steep North face.

All of Rivian's Launch/Adventure front seats are really good looking. They have plenty of adjustability in all directions and, had I not known better, seem to be made from beautiful leather. One very welcome feature, especially in the heat and humidity of the Midwest (or anywhere, these days) is their cooling capacity. Once activated, it didn't take long for me to notice the cooling effect. That's going to come in handy for a lot of people. Also as I understand it, this feature apparently helps the range quite a bit over having to crank the AC unit first. While I didn't test the heating function of the seats, I trust it will warm up my happy backside while also minimizing the space-heating's negative impact on range.

Regarding the folding and removable shelf in the frunk, it creates a nice space with more flexibility baked into your options. Also, at the lowest suspension setting (8 inches, I believe), the lift-over height was quite doable for a just under six-footer.

Keep your questions coming!
I think I've mentioned this a few times on different threads so sorry if you've heard before but since there's so many questions related to tire/wheel size, I want to give you another data point to consider. What I heard from CS is that the 21s are a unique size, "there is no other production vehicle with this tire/wheel combo". Which means it may not be easy to replace, there will be less options to choose from and it'll probably cost more than a 20 or 22 since those are more standardized sizes, especially the 20s.

You could always get the 20s and just replace with A/S once the stock A/T wear out and I'm sure you'd get back some of that range you lose compared to
Good observation @SeaGeo. One additional thought. 5% might not be much, unless the 5% degradation takes the stated mileage below a key mental threshold. So, if the 20" A/T wheels only delivered say 295 mileage in range, and the company has been touting "300+ miles" - that would be a pretty significant marketing / messaging problem. Just like every retailer prices things just under the next dollar threshold (e.g., $295, or gas at $3.99 / gallon) - mentally these thresholds stick for humans as consumers. So "295 miles" is actually a much bigger difference from "300 miles" than the 5 miles mathematical difference might suggest.

If I were the product manager, that might cause me to consider a different (new) standard tire that would get me over the 300 mile clip-level. Especially if we had been out touting a 300+ mile range.

I think I've mentioned this a few times on different threads so sorry if you've heard before but since there's a lot of discussion related to tire/wheel size, I want to give you another data point to consider. What I heard from CS is that the 21s are a unique size, "there is no other production vehicle with this tire/wheel combo". Which means it may not be easy to replace, there will be less options to choose from and it'll probably cost more than a 20 or 22 since those are more standardized sizes, especially the 20s.

You could always get the 20s and replace with A/S once the stock A/T wear out and I'm sure you'd get back some of that range you lose compared to a 21. 22s are really just about looks in my opinion for folks who like the look of smaller sidewalls and for those who plan to do basically zero offroading, other than driving over some dirt road to get to the dog park or do some blueberry picking at a farm.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
You could always get the 20s and replace with A/S once the stock A/T wear out and I'm sure you'd get back some of that range you lose compared to a 21.
I suspect you may also lose some of the handling and ride quality that is tuned into the OEM vehicle/tire combos. Rivian and Pirelli supposedly worked together to optimize the tires and all of Rivians testing has been done on them. Someone will swap a different set of 20s on at some point and we may get an indication of the pros/cons of doing so (with one different tire) at that point. Tire reference is very subjective so it will take a while to get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

I'm at a coin toss between the 20s and 21s. If I go away from the LE for any reason (Max Pack?), I seriously doubt that I would pay the extra for the 20s. Others will have different wants/needs/use cases.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
While we discussed the second set option I was thinking about, no pricing was actually mentioned. I think that when they're available for purchase, they'll likely be added to the configurator. My question was asked because I was trying to find which would be the lowest priced option and therefore, allow me to take advantage by including the spendier option on the pre-order.

I'm not sure they're ready to share that pricing, but at $800 for the spare (correct? Busy and no time to open the Configurator), they won't, nor should they be cheap. As to powder-coating those wheels, I'd hate to see that done. From a cost standpoint, it may be the best option, if the safety and other problems with the aluminum mentioned here allow it. Like others here, I've heard a quality job can be had for around $600, but I'm spooked by the safety concerns.

To me, the originals are beautiful and a signature piece of Rivian's style. I know I've used this line here before, but hey, I'm not proud. Powder-coating these reminds me of the guy who came home from the Olympics and was so proud of his gold medal, he had it bronzed.
?>?=?
In addition to adding more options to the configurator, I’d expect Rivian to have some form of parts and accessories webstore for aftersales purchase.
For example, I can buy literally every single part of my 20 year old Land Rover direct from JLR without ever having to talk to a dealership. If they can figure it out, Rivian can too.

Pricing to buy after the fact will be crazy if sticking with OEM. OEM wheels are very, very expensive.
the spare wheel/tire is a good value. The non-Rivian version of the pirelli scorpion all terrain is $290. Figure the forged wheel is $1500 from Rivian on its own, this is a low guess. that’s a pile of cash. The larger wheels and tires won’t be any cheaper.

There is always the aftermarket, and with Rivian using pretty common wheel sizes and a common bolt pattern, there will be lots of much less expensive wheel options there.
Tires though…in these sizes are always expensive. Unless you want no name chinesium.

Oh. And the other thing about having wheels powder coated or painted otherwise? Goodbye warranty. Food for thought!

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Did you happen to notice if the 'grocery hooks' were present in the frunk and/or Gear Tunnel?
I'd hope to see them, but I didn’t notice them in the Frunk. I didn't look for them in the Gear Tunnel, as I didn't remember them ever being a feature there. If someone else there caught sight of them in either location, please let us know.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Thanks for answering all of our questions, it’s been very helpful! I had a couple more if you had any insight.

1. Do they plan on implementing a sentry mode or some kind of security monitoring system if somebody tries to break into your car or if you get hit while driving? That’s probably one of the number one features I see on any Tesla nowadays.

2. Well they have any remote parking features, for example getting out of the car and using the app to move the car forward or backwards out of tight parking? Also, will they have any level two semi autonomous driving features like Autopilot?

3. Do they plan on allowing the vehicle to be used as battery back up to your house? Kind of like what the Ford F150 Lightning is doing.

4. Finally, do they plan on allowing you to view entertainment apps like Netflix, Hulu etc. on the main screen, or play games while charging like Tesla? Also, will they be providing free updates or is it only for a certain period of time (like 3 years) my concern is the maps will not stay at the date because they’re not using an unknown provider.

Hopefully not overwhelming you with questions!
Canthoney,

It's my pleasure to answer your questions. In order:

1. We got a good primer on how the security system will work for things in the bed, but I believe it applies to the entire vehicle, as well. It uses the cameras and warns us via cell phone, somewhat like Ring will do for us at home. Regarding while driving, I believe there is a capture of some specified amount of time taking place, but I'm a little fuzzy on that.

2. I don't believe there is any remote parking features available at first. I assume that's something they could add via OTA in the future, but I don't recall that being a part of the initial offering. The Drivers+ (name?) Program will require fairly active driver Engagement while on roads covered by any such programs. I wouldn't plan on taking a nap in the back seat of any Rivian, at least not while moving.

3. No V2H designed to power the entire house. The 110 outlets are available keep your fridge, or other appliances going, but no current (NPI) plan to power the entire home. Like Driver+, it requires active management from the owner.

4. I think the plan is to allow those apps to be used while charging or parked. I'm not sure about updates, and I'm also not certain about the last comment in that question. It's a little confusing.

As always, I'd love for anyone else in attendance to weigh-in if you have better recall.

Thanks.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Good observation @SeaGeo. One additional thought. 5% might not be much, unless the 5% degradation takes the stated mileage below a key mental threshold. So, if the 20" A/T wheels only delivered say 295 mileage in range, and the company has been touting "300+ miles" - that would be a pretty significant marketing / messaging problem. Just like every retailer prices things just under the next dollar threshold (e.g., $295, or gas at $3.99 / gallon) - mentally these thresholds stick for humans as consumers. So "295 miles" is actually a much bigger difference from "300 miles" than the 5 miles mathematical difference might suggest.

If I were the product manager, that might cause me to consider a different (new) standard tire that would get me over the 300 mile clip-level. Especially if we had been out touting a 300+ mile range.
My take is that after receiving all three sets of tires, Rivian found that the All Terrains outperformed expectations in many key areas. First of all, they are exceptional off-road, which should be no surprise. However, I think the road handling of the A/T's was a pleasant surprise. Keep in mind that all three are new tires from Pirelli, and I don't think Rivian anticipated the A/T's to be as solid as they are on the track.

As I've stated elsewhere in the Forums, the A/T's were quiet, composed, and handled everything we threw at them on the track very nicely. I would love to try the 22-inch Performamce Street tires to see how much better they might be on the track. But no matter how good they are on pavement, with the off-road world predominantly off-limits for the 21's & 22's, I'll stick to the A/T's on the 20-inch forged wheels.

Remember, the 21's & 22's ride on flow-formed wheels, which lack the same strength as the 20-inch versions. I think that's important to remember if someone's thinking of putting A/T's on either of those larger wheels.

Thank you, RJ, for guiding me in the right direction towards these amazing All-Terrain 20's! Thank you, Pirelli, for making these excellent tires!

A footnote about range. As charging infrastructure gets built out, any reduction in range from the A/T's will seem negligible (at least for me) compared to the incredible versatility these tires will bring to our Rivians. Again, that's just me.

Last edited:

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Canthoney,

1. We got a good primer on how the security system will work for things in the bed, but I believe it applies to the entire vehicle, as well. It uses the cameras and warns us via cell phone, somewhat like Ring will do for us at home. Regarding while driving, I believe there is a capture of some specified amount of time taking place, but I'm a little fuzzy on that.

2. I don't believe there is any remote parking features available at first. I assume that's something they could add via OTA in the future, but I don't recall that being a part of the initial offering. The Drivers+ (name?) Program will require fairly active driver Engagement while on roads covered by any such programs. I wouldn't plan on taking a nap in the back seat of any Rivian, at least not while moving.

3. No V2H designed to power the entire house. The 110 outlets are available keep your fridge, or other appliances going, but no current (NPI) plan to power the entire home. Like Driver+, it requires active management from the owner.

4. I think the plan is to allow those apps to be used while charging or parked. I'm not sure about updates, and I'm also not certain about the last comment in that question. It's a little confusing.

As always, I'd love for anyone else in attendance to weigh-in if you have better recall.

Thanks.
I do wonder if they will have automated parking, operated by the driver in-vehicle. Lexus for instance has had this for over a decade.

Another thought on the wheel/tire options; you can’t buy a full fat Range Rover with all terrain tires from factory. I suspect there will be far far more R1S rolling around on the big road biased wheel/tire combos than R1T.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Canthoney,

Thanks.
Ugh, that’s what I get for using voice dictation to fill in the text for me. My apologies! My last question was will Rivian provide free map updates for the life of the vehicle or only for a certain amount of time, like 3 year. I know some automakers have a subscription after that period.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Brice,

I won't lie about it, I love the seats in my Volvo R-Design, and so does my backside. As we've discussed before, they fit like a glove, with solid thigh and side bolsters. They allow me to stay locked in when using the Polestar performance through the PS4S Summer tires. That said, I wouldn't want anything that form-fitting in a pickup.

The R1T seats are roomier, but still kept me locked in and well-supported while making high speed road maneuvers, drifting in the loose stuff, rolling over the gravel mounds and side hills, and even while summiting Mt. Rivian's boulderfields and steep North face.

All of Rivian's Launch/Adventure front seats are really good looking. They have plenty of adjustability in all directions and, had I not known better, seem to be made from beautiful leather. One very welcome feature, especially in the heat and humidity of the Midwest (or anywhere, these days) is their cooling capacity. Once activated, it didn't take long for me to notice the cooling effect. That's going to come in handy for a lot of people. Also as I understand it, this feature apparently helps the range quite a bit over having to crank the AC unit first. While I didn't test the heating function of the seats, I trust it will warm up my happy backside while also minimizing the space-heating's negative impact on range.

Regarding the folding and removable shelf in the frunk, it creates a nice space with more flexibility baked into your options. Also, at the lowest suspension setting (8 inches, I believe), the lift-over height was quite doable for a just under six-footer.

Keep your questions coming!
That's awesome and exactly what I was hoping for. The one thing I am going to miss from (surprisingly not the xc60) our ID.4 is massaging seats. It's quickly turned into one of those "I don't want to live without this again" features.

I didn't realize the drunk shelf was foldable. That's a plus!

So they confirmed V2L? I hadn't heard that from anyone else yet.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Sully,

In my earlier, lengthy response after you reawakened my memory of the conversation with RJ about the MaxPack performance upgrades, I forgot to address your other questions.

In order:

1. I feel safe in stating RJ is a big fan of the 20-inch All-Terrains if you have any chance of going off-road. I think he would agree that that the A/T's give up less than 5% of the road capabilities of the 22's, whereas, with the 22's you would give up a 100% of the serious off-road.

That wouldn't make a Rivian as much a Pavement Princess as it would a Pavement Prisoner. Why do that to one of these Adventurers? Even if you know you'll likely never climb Mt. Rivian again, your newest family member at least knows it could, (that is if the new parents can ever get over their fear of fun.)

BTW, as a reminder, knowing beforehand that I am/was interested in picking up a second full set of five Performamce tires on 22's, RJ told me I should wait and see if I really need them before spending the money. That is special.

2. I didn't ask him about this, but I get the impression he likes the 400-mile MaxPack, especially with the upgraded performance capabilities over the original set-up. Hearing that, I actually thought, "Hmm, should I look at the MaxPack?" (still happy right where I am). I also remember distinctly from some time ago, he was talking about the 300-miler being enough, especially later, when charging stations become as ubiquitous as gas stations. Range anxiety will go down, and we'll still have $10,000 in our pocket. I also like that I'll be driving around about 300 to 350 less pounds. But that's just my take.

I'm sure he'd say get the 400-miler, if you need it, certainly for those who live in a remote or extremely cold climates.

3. I think we did see Compass Yellow R1T's, but I can't find one yet in my gallery. I'll be combing through my videos and pics over this weekend and downloading a bunch.

I hope this helps!

Time for bed now....
Also, The R1T is a truck. So if your going to tow anything, you better get the Max Pack.
Sponsored