Sponsored

Delay Placeholder Vehicles

SleepySheepie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, FJ40, MG TF1500, Model S, Lotus
I *really* need a car I can use in the winter here, and was hoping to get a LE before the end of 2021.

I want to go electric, but need a vehicle that can handle Colorado.

I'm considering selling the mustang in this used car market and buying a Tacoma or 4Runner. If I do that, I probably will let my LE reservation lapse, and/or consider the 400 mile Rivian. That's a really defeating decision, because I had been so excited about this vehicle and the company. I've really lost interest based on the lack of communication and repeated delays.
Mostly same boat here. Need to get rid of my daily driver Kia that can't make it up my driveway in the snow. No chance that I get a Rivian before snow flies again. I started test driving used Tacomas and Raptors this past weekend, but everything is so damn expensive right now- frustrating.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Quick little note for people considering a Mach E as a temp solution. Two things that nudged me toward the ID.4 instead were that the Mach E doesn't have the capability to have a roof rack, and that the Mach E has 5.7" clearance vs about 8.3" for the ID.4. Sounds silly, but I've really appreciated that 1.5" driving up some forest roads lately.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
Quick little note for people considering a Mach E as a temp solution. Two things that nudged me toward the ID.4 instead were that the Mach E doesn't have the capability to have a roof rack, and that the Mach E has 5.7" clearance vs about 8.3" for the ID.4. Sounds silly, but I've really appreciated that 1.5" driving up some forest roads lately.
I really wish they had more ground clearance. I think they would be a good option for my folks, but my dad likes to go digging around in the hills so AWD and decent ground clearance is a must

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I really wish they had more ground clearance. I think they would be a good option for my folks, but my dad likes to go digging around in the hills so AWD and decent ground clearance is a must
Yep! We (probably) won't stick with the ID.4 long term since RWD is all that was available at the time, but the Mach E clearance was a big bummer. As well as the total lack of roof rails. Ignoring the EV performance issues that bothered me, it is really a hatch back mustang and not a crossover.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

We bought a well maintained LR3 6 months ago with the intent to own it for 3-5 years before buying a used R1S or new production model at the end of that time. Now weā€™ve decided to step up and order now, but we might still be waiting in 3 years!

Sponsored

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I sold my Ram awhile back in anticipation of my R1T showing up relatively early in the delivery process (April 2019 preorder) until more details came to light on how deliveries will actually occur. I was driving my soon to be 16 year old daughters car which she would like to have back so I picked up a Wrangler 4xe JLU (man I wish they would have made the range even 50/60 miles instead of the 27). Iā€™m still holding on with my reservation for now but Iā€™m not sure if that will hold or not.

3389B665-DD9E-42F3-8F04-BE5FC2FF8ADF.jpeg
How do you like the 4xe? I had a 2020 JLUR that I traded in on my Model 3, but the daughter keeps talking about a Jeep again. If the wife would drive the Tesla, then Iā€™d think about getting rid of her suv for the 4xe.

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

[
I moved back to Colorado in 2017 with a Mustang GT, which was a purchase when I was living in a different climate, and goes in the garage in the winter. I *really* need a car I can use in the winter here, and was hoping to get a LE before the end of 2021.

I walk to work, but I don't think I can go another winter of bumming rides from friends/family or renting vehicles during ski season. I want to go electric, but need a vehicle that can handle Colorado.

I'm considering selling the mustang in this used car market and buying a Tacoma or 4Runner. If I do that, I probably will let my LE reservation lapse, and/or consider the 400 mile Rivian. That's a really defeating decision, because I had been so excited about this vehicle and the company. I've really lost interest based on the lack of communication and repeated delays.
[/QUOTE]

Buy an old land cruiser from AZ or the Midwest for $10k. Best vehicle for Colorado winters and when your Rivian arrives, pull the side rails, add a snorkel and sell it for $15k in CO.

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited, 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum, Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
How do you like the 4xe? I had a 2020 JLUR that I traded in on my Model 3, but the daughter keeps talking about a Jeep again. If the wife would drive the Tesla, then Iā€™d think about getting rid of her suv for the 4xe.
Iā€™m loving it so far. I was torn between the JLUR and the JLUHA and ended up with the HA. It was definitely made to still be a wrangler first and a hybrid second. The max regen is ok, granted itā€™s the first Iā€™ve really had so Iā€™m still getting used to it. Itā€™s quicker/snappier than I thought it would be. The transitions between hybrid, electric and e-save modes are seamless. Iā€™m running it completely stock right now with the exception of a spiderweb sunshade but some mods/upgrades are probably right around the corner.

Unfortunately i havenā€™t had a chance to get a L2 charger installed yet so Iā€™m suffering through L1 charging which is less than ideal. Honestly if they could have made the range closer to 60 miles it would be a perfect hybrid for my particular use case. Although based upon where they put the battery (under the back seat) there will probably need to be a leap in battery tech or a material redesign to get a whole lot more range but I could be wrong on that given my limited knowledge on it.

The 27 mile range on a full charge is holding pretty true so far. Took a beating in the wind this morning but thatā€™s to be expected.

Iā€™ve had a few random software issues, like my activepark assist lines disappearing and then reappearing the next time I start the jeep, but nothing that I didnā€™t also have happen on my RAM so not specific to the 4xe.

Overall Iā€™m extremely happy with it and as of now I would do it again.

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I preordered the R1T in May ā€˜20 and have spent every day since then stewing over what am I going to drive until my Rivian shows up. Sold my Ram 1500 this past April; donā€™t really know why. Then I decided I had to have a Tacoma; found a Lunar Rock TRD Pro in North Carolina so I flew out there and drove it home. Now Iā€™m thinking about selling the Tacoma because it appears I could make a few bucks on it, so I decided to get a Hyundai Santa Cruz. Then I sobered upā€¦

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I moved back to Colorado in 2017 with a Mustang GT, which was a purchase when I was living in a different climate, and goes in the garage in the winter. I *really* need a car I can use in the winter here, and was hoping to get a LE before the end of 2021.

I walk to work, but I don't think I can go another winter of bumming rides from friends/family or renting vehicles during ski season. I want to go electric, but need a vehicle that can handle Colorado.

Just got a 4Runner as my placeholder....shouldn't lose any value either. They are getting harder to find, especially 4wd.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Just got a 4Runner as my placeholder....shouldn't lose any value either. They are getting harder to find, especially 4wd.
Good to hear. I have one to sell. If I ever get my Rivian! ?

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Just about decided to do a subscription through Volvo for an ICE XC40. I can get out of this without any strings in 5 months or keep it up to 24 months.

I have no idea when to expect my LE R1S in Salt Lake, with a mid 2019 order but no service centers here in the near future.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Iā€™m loving it so far. I was torn between the JLUR and the JLUHA and ended up with the HA. It was definitely made to still be a wrangler first and a hybrid second. The max regen is ok, granted itā€™s the first Iā€™ve really had so Iā€™m still getting used to it. Itā€™s quicker/snappier than I thought it would be. The transitions between hybrid, electric and e-save modes are seamless. Iā€™m running it completely stock right now with the exception of a spiderweb sunshade but some mods/upgrades are probably right around the corner.

Unfortunately i havenā€™t had a chance to get a L2 charger installed yet so Iā€™m suffering through L1 charging which is less than ideal. Honestly if they could have made the range closer to 60 miles it would be a perfect hybrid for my particular use case. Although based upon where they put the battery (under the back seat) there will probably need to be a leap in battery tech or a material redesign to get a whole lot more range but I could be wrong on that given my limited knowledge on it.

The 27 mile range on a full charge is holding pretty true so far. Took a beating in the wind this morning but thatā€™s to be expected.

Iā€™ve had a few random software issues, like my activepark assist lines disappearing and then reappearing the next time I start the jeep, but nothing that I didnā€™t also have happen on my RAM so not specific to the 4xe.

Overall Iā€™m extremely happy with it and as of now I would do it again.
Thatā€™s great you like it. I would like one again, but Iā€™m just struggling over the price. The dealer I bought my 2020 JLUR from quoted a good deal considering the current environment, but not nearly as good as I got on my 2020. They have no Jeeps to test drive though to see if I like the 4xe or power roof. If I know I can get the Rivian next summer, then Iā€™ll definitely just wait though.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Found this forum ad interesting.

Rivian R1T R1S Delay Placeholder Vehicles Capture+_2021-07-25-11-35-40

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
We've had "placeholder" vehicles for the last 8 years. We've been leasing EVs waiting for one that we would actually purchase.
Sold our last ICE car a couple of months ago.
Our Clarity Electric is lease only (can never be purchased). The lease is up in October, but we can extend it for two years on what amounts to a month-to-month contract. Notify Honda when we are done with it, drive to the dealer, hand them the keys and walk away.
Sponsored