DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

That would be the emergency eject button for when things get a bit too adventurous!
I have it from a good source that the red and yellow military-looking panic button is actually called the "MILD switch", which stands for Mother-In-Law Deletion switch. It works much like the ejection seat for jet fighters. As we know the roof is fixed and not removable, so the MILD device must be side-ejecting (video, please).

If the MIL starts to complain about "When can I get out and stretch my legs?", even at 80 mph, you can honestly answer "Soon, very soon".

Last edited:

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Sad that this close to launch this is what we have to look at...
We've gotten more details from 23 seconds on someone's cell than Rivian has given us in months, even with their recent update about the interior... WTH.

It's not like they can change anything drastically about the physical exterior/interior features at this point, what's the deal not giving more specifics?

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I am with you. Given the lack of CarPlay, I am not hopeful.
I have a feeling that Apple doesn't work with any car makers with their own route/trip planner because it steers away from Apple Map.

Sponsored

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
First time seeing the controls on the steering wheel in detail. Tried to get the best picture from the Twitter video. The other frames are mostly blurry.
some details visible in the UI, large display is vehicle settings. Seems RIDE is set to stiff, Break Regen to High and Stability on reduced. The other setting seems to be auto hold.

I'm happy to see the three cars on the driver's screen; it will have some smartness like Tesla's.

70EE71E2-875A-4F58-A536-09B67AFFB175.png

5D1C9EAA-7F4A-4340-AF3E-2545E9F86890.png

1A0B44E9-E759-4F4B-ABBA-4C4CB856F7B0.png

GMK83

First Name
Guerin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (preorder)
This is nice to see, but wish we would get something official from Rivian. I wish Rivian was rolling out meaningful information like Lucid has as of late. I've really enjoyed how they've put out information recently and they're not as close to launch as Rivian.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I have a feeling that Apple doesn't work with any car makers with their own route/trip planner because it steers away from Apple Map.
This seems wrong.

Pretty much every single car that supports CarPlay also has built-in navigation and trip planning.

It's really the other way around - Certain manufacturers have lists of reasons (some arguably good, others poppycock) to prefer locking people in to their own in-car UI, and therefore they don't want to support CarPlay.

In a Tesla, for example, they need you to use in-car navigation because that's how to you point-to-point autopilot. It's believed this is a primary reason Tesla won't ever support CarPlay/AndroidAuto.

In-car nav is also preferred by EV makers because the in-car nav is the one that can schedule charging stops along the way. This could be one "arguably legitimate" reason on Rivian's list of why they won't support it.

But there are EVs with CarPlay, meaning those makers are okay with you not using their built-in navigation, and also Apple is perfectly fine with working with cars that *would* prefer in-car navigation.

This is kind of flirting around a common and persistent misunderstanding of what CarPlay is.

It's fundamentally a protocol to allow the car's screen as a second display for your phone, as well as allowing the car's screen to be a secondary input source for your phone.

That's it. Full stop.

How is that used? To get apps from the phone up to where the driver can safely see and interact with them.

The same applies to Android Auto.

---

When it comes down to it, when a modern car with mainstream production doesn't support CarPlay or Android Auto, it comes down to 2 things (That are both arguably the same)

Money and control.

They see no benefit from letting you spend time interacting with your phone instead of their UI, and they see a real world loss of engagement of data collection when you don't use their system.

And with the Amazon roots here with built-in Alexa, you'd better believe it's simply Amazon calling the shots and not letting them.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
This is incorrect.

Not only has Smithery explained that most vehicles that support CarPlay also offer non-Apple "factory" navigation, but Apple even lets you pick your default navigation app in iOS -- and it doesn't have to be Apple Maps. Lots of people choose Google Maps or Waze, or even apps I've never heard of, before.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Certain manufacturers have lists of reasons (some arguably good, others poppycock) to prefer locking people in to their own in-car UI, and therefore they don't want to support CarPlay.
I'd argue that ALL manufacturer excuses for not supporting CarPlay are poppycock. None are good.

In a Tesla, for example, they need you to use in-car navigation because that's how to you point-to-point autopilot. It's believed this is a primary reason Tesla won't ever support CarPlay/AndroidAuto.
That's B.S., imo. The simplest solution is to offer CarPlay but AutoPilot requires use of factory nav for routing. I typically use my factory navigation simultaneously while I use CarPlay for music and messaging. I've never had a problem with both working together.

If Tesla wanted to, I bet they could even get autopilot to work even with Apple Maps being the active navigation source... The Tesla GPS/navigation system is always tracking your current location, and Apple does give the vehicle information about the next direction via their AP2 API... So what more does Tesla need other than "where am I now" and "what maneuver will I be executing next"?

In-car nav is also preferred by EV makers because the in-car nav is the one that can schedule charging stops along the way. This could be one "arguably legitimate" reason on Rivian's list of why they won't support it.
Again, a B.S. reason. CarPlay supports apps like ABRP and PlugShare. Apple Maps even has integrated EV routing (https://www.idownloadblog.com/2020/09/30/apple-maps-electric-vehicle-routing-tutorial/). Furthermore, this shouldn't be Rivian (or any other manufactuers) choice to force their users on what they can and cannot do. If I a user wants to use Apple Maps then just LET THEM. If you think your maps are better, then communicate your feature set to your customers. If your telemetry data shows people are still using CarPlay more than your factory nav then maybe that's evidence your factory nav isn't as fantastic as you thought it was???

And with the Amazon roots here with built-in Alexa, you'd better believe it's simply Amazon calling the shots and not letting them.
Again, B.S. Acura, for example, uses Alexa in their newer vehicles and yet they still offer CarPlay and Android Auto.

Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I'd argue that ALL manufacturer excuses for not supporting CarPlay are poppycock. None are good.

That's B.S.
Again, a B.S. reason.
As a user, you won't find me arguing with you. They're all BS, and obviously CarPlay can always be supported on top of built-in stuff (as I focused on).

I was just listing the types of rationalizes that have been given, or would be likely to be given.

But...

Again, B.S. Acura, for example, uses Alexa in their newer vehicles and yet they still offer CarPlay and Android Auto.
I did NOT mean to imply the existence of Alexa in a Rivian precludes CarPlay.
Definitely not.
Acura is not the only counterexample.

The true focal point was Amazon's extremely deep pockets are inextricably intertwined with Rivian

I'd be THRILLED to learn that no CarPlay is simply because "we haven't gotten to it yet" and it is added with a software update later.

But I don't expect to learn that, because I fully expect that Amazon wants all that sweet, sweet data that they're paying for.

Money and control.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
As a user, you won't find me arguing with you. They're all BS, and obviously CarPlay can always be supported on top of built-in stuff (as I focused on).

I was just listing the types of rationalizes that have been given, or would be likely to be given.

But...

I did NOT mean to imply the existence of Alexa in a Rivian precludes CarPlay.
Definitely not.
Acura is not the only counterexample.

The true focal point was Amazon's extremely deep pockets are inextricably intertwined with Rivian

I'd be THRILLED to learn that no CarPlay is simply because "we haven't gotten to it yet" and it is added with a software update later.

But I don't expect to learn that, because I fully expect that Amazon wants all that sweet, sweet data that they're paying for.

Money and control.
Amazon is one of the most compelling arguments against buying a Rivian. I wish they werenā€™t connected.

Ty012

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi
Is that the Black Mountain interior? Looks off to me but maybe itā€™s just the bad or ā€œundercoverā€ filming.

theorracle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Amazon is one of the most compelling arguments against buying a Rivian. I wish they werenā€™t connected.
I do believe the ultimate end game for Amazonā€™s involvement is two-fold: the battle for peopleā€™s eyes and its companion, self-driving cars.

I doubt itā€™s a new idea, but I havenā€™t seen anyone say as much. Companies of the likes of Apple, Amazon, and Google all rely on revenues from screen timeā€”how many eyes there are on their services and ads, and how many products they sell.

Imagine driving cross country never having to touch the wheel. Amazing, no? But what will you do with that time? And who will get you there?

Why of course itā€™s your Amazon Auto AI getting you there. Oh? Youā€™re using Apple Autoā€™s self-driving subscription? Or maybe Android Auto? Well, switch to Amazon and enjoy 1 month of Amazon Prime for free! For your convenience, weā€™ll automatically bill you after your trial expires.

Something like thatā€¦.

I wouldnā€™t have a complete idea of how many hours that could beā€¦ harvested for more time for people to be in front of screens, but Iā€™ll bet itā€™s a driver of this tech. Hence why Apple, Amazon, and Google all have their hands in this one way or another.

That sweet subscription revenue.

Not that self-drivingā€™s development based on that would be a bad thing. But, getting to the pointā€¦ while Iā€™d rather Amazon not be involved either, I think itā€™s a necessary evil to get it there quickly.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if this turns into a proxy war of sorts.

Amazon with Rivian
Maybe Apple with BMW
Google with.. who the hell knows?

And this is also likely why weā€™ll never see CarPlay or Android Auto in a Rivian. Also likely never in a Tesla because they likely donā€™t want Apple or Google anywhere near their software stackā€”theyā€™re competitors.
Sponsored