First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Found this interesting tid bit in an article by The Verge today. There’s no way this is accurate right? Imma need Rivian to sort out this Max Pack drama quick 🤣. Including the part where they update the Max Pack pricing for the R1S
Rivian R1T R1S Max Pack still 180kW? IMG_4884
Sponsored

OP
OP
theyoungone

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
@Supratachophobia this article from the verge and a Rivian spokesperson had me wondering though? I’m so confused by it all.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

@Supratachophobia this article from the verge and a Rivian spokesperson had me wondering though? I’m so confused by it all.
Honestly, I think the pr team is misinformed with old documentation.

Is Max pack is 180, then the r1t would have 450 range. Plus, the r1s had a physical limitation with 3rd row footwell and max pack. Now it magically doesn't? And lastly, you don't advertise 390 when 400 is so attractive from a marketing perspective. If they are saying 390, then it really is 390 and they couldn't squeeze the 180 into it to get 400.

It comes down to the math for me and they aren't making 2 max packs. *Maybe* they are scared to say the r1t can do 450 with a 180kwh battery it would take to make it do because they don't want to gut large pack sales. Maybe. But I doubt it.

gj_washington

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
audi a4, toyota rav4
Occupation
engineer
Honestly, I think the pr team is misinformed with old documentation.

Is Max pack is 180, then the r1t would have 450 range. Plus, the r1s had a physical limitation with 3rd row footwell and max pack. Now it magically doesn't? And lastly, you don't advertise 390 when 400 is so attractive from a marketing perspective. If they are saying 390, then it really is 390 and they couldn't squeeze the 180 into it to get 400.

It comes down to the math for me and they aren't making 2 max packs. *Maybe* they are scared to say the r1t can do 450 with a 180kwh battery it would take to make it do because they don't want to gut large pack sales. Maybe. But I doubt it.
Can't extrapolate directly from R1T Large Pack range because the Max Pack adds weight so one should expect lower miles per kwh, everything else being the same.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
If Max pack is 180, then the r1t would have 450 range.
I agree that most likely the battery is just less than 180, but....

If they solved the space problem by stacking 2 batteries on top of each other, either hanging under the main battery or on top causing the vehicle to ride higher, it would increase the frontal area, and therefore increase atmospheric drag and negate some of the range gains you would expect from increasing the battery size.

Or

If the increased weight of the battery pack ate too much into the cargo capacity and therefore they needed to beef up structure and suspension to accommodate a significantly higher GVWR (with the stronger structure and suspension also increasing the weight) all that extra weight could negate some of the range gains you would expect from increasing the battery size.

Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Can't extrapolate directly from R1T Large Pack range because the Max Pack adds weight so one should expect lower miles per kwh, everything else being the same.
Time and time again, weight has proven to not be an indicator/effector of range. Rolling resistance (tires) and drag (highway speeds above 60mph) are the only two things that affect range in a substantial way. A couple hundred pounds is going to be at most a rounding error of a percent or two. I wish these forums let you downvote comments.....

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I agree that most likely the battery is just less than 180, but....

If they solved the space problem by stacking 2 batteries on top of each other, either hanging under the main battery or on top causing the vehicle to ride higher, it would increase the frontal area, and therefore increase atmospheric drag and negate some of the range gains you would expect from increasing the battery size.

Or

If the increased weight of the battery pack ate too much into the cargo capacity and therefore they needed to beef up structure and suspension to accommodate a significantly higher GVWR (with the stronger structure and suspension also increasing the weight) all that extra weight could negate some of the range gains you would expect from increasing the battery size.
See, now you all are just trying to come up with any way to justify you are still getting that 180kwh, we aren't. I can't even begin to disagree how stacking a single module is going to throw a monkey wrench on cooling or how you are talking about a foot of batteries making the car ride higher by that amount.

It's the simple explanation.... 1 less module, 165kwh. It actually makes even more perfect sense is you look at the pre-price cost of the max pack and the new pre-price reduction in cost by going with dual/max.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

This just in, the weekly Rivian Responds over on Reddit has rivian saying some bullshit about how they aren't going to share capacities because they think range numbers are what people really want. So there you have it, definitely not 180, and now I'm half-seriously doubting it's 165. What a bad deal.

This would be like going up buy an ICE car and them telling you the range (which could vary substantially due to weather, towing, etc.), but refusing to tell you the size of the gas tank or the MPG.

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
We'll have to wait and see.

If we take the current advertised numbers
The increased range from the Standard Pack 105 kWh to the Large pack 135 kWh is +29.7% range increase for a +30 kw/h a 28.5% increase in kWh (ie numbers seem to match)

The advertised estimated range for the Large Pack 135 kWh to the Max Pack 180 kWh is only +14.3% range boost (assuming it is a 180 kWh battery) This seems really low for a +45 kWh battery capacity 33.3% increase in kWh (numbers do not seem to match)

So a couple of scenarios. They could be being super conservative with the promised/anticipated range until the testing is complete with the Dual Motors and are going to WOW everyone when it comes out,

Or it is actually a 155 kWh battery and if we used the current expected range increases, would/should net about 414 miles of optimal range. +20 kWh usable battery or +14.8%

By my calculations if it were a true 180 kWh battery it should be netting about 469 miles of range. +/- as the dual motors are a bit of an unknown right now.

Dual motors should have about the same power use as the Quad motor in conserve, and the battery pack will be a little heavier, so should be a wash, weight and power wise.

Sponsored

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Time and time again, weight has proven to not be an indicator/effector of range. Rolling resistance (tires) and drag (highway speeds above 60mph) are the only two things that affect range in a substantial way. A couple hundred pounds is going to be at most a rounding error of a percent or two. I wish these forums let you downvote comments.....
Weight has a significant affect on range when elevation gain is involved especially when towing.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
@Ripped

It's simpler to just look at the Wh/mile efficiency number of actual Rivians being driven, and use that to reverse engineer the kWh size for the batterty.

Right now, people are reporting around 410-430 Wh/mile for sort of general, non-towing street use.

Let's say it's 410, and the target range is 390 miles (for an R1S), that's ~160kWh - and yeah, with a 180kWh battery at that same Wh/mile efficiency, you're looking at a ~439 mile range.

I'm betting it's around 160-165 (and the dual motor may have a better average efficiency number).

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I highly doubt it will be 180kw as it simply adds too much weight & cost. The added weight is counterintuitive as it will reduce payload and likely tow capacity. I understand that each KW of cell capacity is 16lbs (30kw-480lb, 45kw-720lb) It seems that a 165kw pack (2 cells) would be a reasonable compromise and match up better to range estimates.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Weight has a significant affect on range when elevation gain is involved especially when towing.
Towing accounts for a super small percent of EV ownership overall which is why I didn't list that caveat.

And through-mountain driving, for the most part, isnt as much of an issue as you think because of Regen breaking and getting upwards 70-80% of that energy back on the downhill.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I highly doubt it will be 180kw as it simply adds too much weight & cost. The added weight is counterintuitive as it will reduce payload and likely tow capacity. I understand that each KW of cell capacity is 16lbs (30kw-480lb, 45kw-720lb) It seems that a 165kw pack (2 cells) would be a reasonable compromise and match up better to range estimates.
Again, it's not weight that caused them to make it smaller, it was physical space available.
Sponsored