First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Towing accounts for a super small percent of EV ownership overall which is why I didn't list that caveat.

And through-mountain driving, for the most part, isnt as much of an issue as you think because of Regen breaking and getting upwards 70-80% of that energy back on the downhill.
I would guess that a fair percentage of those waiting on the Max pack are doing that for the very purpose of having a decent range while towing.

What are you driving that gives you 70-80% back on the same downhill that you went up?
Below is my experience on a highway trip.
66km on flat 13.5%
66km with 4400' gain 24%
66km same 4400' loss 12% ( 12.5% improvement over flat)

This is 33% more consumption for same distance up & back vs flat.

I have found slower in town driving to have better results on the regen.
Home to hwy 4.3km 850' EL. gain/loss
Up 13km equivalent used
Down 3km net gain
So 10km used to go 8.6km (17% increase)

The regen helps nothing on a one way trip up into the mountains.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Again, it's not weight that caused them to make it smaller, it was physical space available.
That could be for the R1S but the R1T appears to have space for 2 more cell modules. They are working hard to improve efficiencies/profitability and they only promised a 400 mile range & since they are already at 350 with the dual motor they don't need much more to reach the goal.
I'm pretty sure adding cost, weight and loosing payload are all factors that they are taking into consideration.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

That could be for the R1S but the R1T appears to have space for 2 more cell modules. They are working hard to improve efficiencies/profitability and they only promised a 400 mile range & since they are already at 350 with the dual motor they don't need much more to reach the goal.
I'm pretty sure adding cost, weight and loosing payload are all factors that they are taking into consideration.
They aren't going to make 2 max batteries of different sizes. They just won't.

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Just look how ridiculous the new Chevy Silverado with the 200kW battery looks! It seems the body sits more than a foot above where normal Silverado's sit. Small people would need a stepstool to get in!
Sponsored