Sponsored

What Else Are You Considering?

What Else Are You Considering (Among Electric Vehicles)?

• Total voters

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I have a separate thread on what type of driver is looking at Rivian and what needs it will meet here. Now I would like to hear what else you might be considering.

In addition to the R1S, I am currently still considering a Tesla Model X. I have contemplated a few others, but it seems that nothing offers the performance and range that Tesla and, eventually Rivian, offer.

If you select "Other" in the poll, please post comments. Also, feel free to let me know if I should list more options in the poll (I know there are numerous EV startups out there, but I only listed a few here).
Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Also considering the Ioniq 5, in addition to not instead of.
If the R1T somehow falls through, not likely, I would be hoping for great spec's on the E F-150.
I'm generally excited for auto electrification in general. I'm becoming more confident I will never buy another ICE vehicle.
Today every new car buyer grew up on ICE, once kids whos parents had a BEV start buying cars the ratio of ICE to BEV will change rapidly as the ICE car will be foreign tech. to them. Frequent oil, belt, brake, plug... changes will be a deal breaker.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
My “Other” is the Ford Mustang Mach E GT with performance package, but it’s becoming a farther and farther second choice.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
R1T vs F-150 Hybrid. Need a bed for bikes, Cub Scouts, and various other projects.

I like the R1T for no gas, frunk, parking ability, and performance.

I like the F-150 for reliability, service, large backseat, and long road trip freedom.

Not considering Cybertruck: Too bold, too big, the sides make it hard to reach in the bed, interior is too plain. Reliability and Service on our Model S is not meeting expectations. Price and electric range are impressive though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
@jimcgov3
Like they say "Variety is the spice of life"

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I’m pretty much all-in on R1T, so unless Rivian does something in the next few months to dissuade me, I’ll buy it. I have a reservation for CT with no intention of fulfilling it. I had a very early reservation for Bollinger, but switched to a Rivian when price went from $60-80k to $125k at their reveal.

If not Rivian, then my next choice right now would be a Hummer, but more likely I’d wait to see the F150 EV or whatever else comes out over the next couple of years.

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
My “Other” is the Ford Mustang Mach E GT with performance package, but it’s becoming a farther and farther second choice.
Do you happen to know when this is being released? Can you test drive it yet?

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
Do you happen to know when this is being released? Can you test drive it yet?
Deliveries are still claimed to start “late summer”. No test drives available yet and, in fact, very few test mules of the GT have been sighted on roads. Ford says that preorders can be converted to orders starting April 28, but at this point they haven’t even said how much the performance package will cost (or even other major options like the panoramic roof).
Although I have one of the earliest preorders for the GT, I think I will let it go next week. I’m solidly in the Rivian camp at this point. My real options are between Rivian Blue Or Launch Green R1T.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
My second choice is the Model Y. I’ll have to give up a proper third row, the ability to do at least mild off roading, and other niceties (meridian sound, ventilated seats etc) for ~$25k less than a LE R1S.

Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Model Y, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Discovery, Defender, Audi E tron.

Last edited:

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

2021 F-150 Powerboost Hybrid truck with the 7.2 kW Pro-power Onboard generator setup. Frankly can get a Platinum trim FX 4x4 with nearly every option for about $72k. That's very close to LE price with the $7,500 tax credit included. I actually have one "ordered" through local dealership but clear understanding with Internet sales mgr. that I may not take it. He said no problem since it will sell off the lot in a few days. Ironically got the notice that it entered Ford production line today and generated this window sticker (for anyone that's detailed-oriented)

Honestly it really comes down to a final decision to take a leap-of-faith into a full EV or compromise with a modest hybrid assisted ICE truck.

Rivian R1T R1S What Else Are You Considering? F-150windowsticker.PNG

Last edited:

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
What I have now is a small four-wheel drive pickup. With the canopy, I get enough length between the roof racks to safely hold my kayak.

Summer or winter, I can go anywhere. In a pinch I can sleep in the back.

The R1t with the max battery can also go anywhere, summer or winter. I believe I'll be able to use two racks six feet apart to provide a good grip on my kayak. I think I have a good idea how to load the kayak onto the truck if I don't add a canopy.

Despite the larger size of the vehicle, I don't think there will be room to sleep inside the truck anywhere.

I don't need the luxury aspects. And, of course, I don't need the large price tag. With the max battery, off-road kit, AT tires and forest green paint, I'm looking at a $111,000 plus ticket - before roof racks and other add-ons. That's what you call yer life in the Canadian fast lane.

Price is a significant concern. Every second day I wonder if it's really a good idea to buy something that expensive and then abandon it in odd spots while I go adventuring. Maybe when I see the security details for the R1t, I will feel more at ease.

So, what else would fit the bill? Perhaps, the upcoming Toyota BZ4X. I wouldn't get as long a roof line to work with, but it would carry all my stuff. It will definitely be cheaper. But, who knows how much range it will have.

Perhaps one of the all-wheel drive SUV's might work. Most of them seem to come up short on range.

The Alpha Wolf with the extended cab would work. It's very close to what I have now. Short range is a problem.

The one vehicle I could see pulling me away from Rivian would be an electric Toyota Tacoma. If it comes with a decent range and a decent price tag, it would make a lot of sense.

If Rivian takes a long time getting around to me in the manufacturing order, there is a possibility an electric Tacoma might be close. That could be a problem for Rivian.

I kind of doubt that is going to happen. Where I sit right now, going green will require sucking it up and spending the big bucks.

OP
OP

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
What I have now is a small four-wheel drive pickup. With the canopy, I get enough length between the roof racks to safely hold my kayak.

Summer or winter, I can go anywhere. In a pinch I can sleep in the back.

The R1t with the max battery can also go anywhere, summer or winter. I believe I'll be able to use two racks six feet apart to provide a good grip on my kayak. I think I have a good idea how to load the kayak onto the truck if I don't add a canopy.

Despite the larger size of the vehicle, I don't think there will be room to sleep inside the truck anywhere.

I don't need the luxury aspects. And, of course, I don't need the large price tag. With the max battery, off-road kit, AT tires and forest green paint, I'm looking at a $111,000 plus ticket - before roof racks and other add-ons. That's what you call yer life in the Canadian fast lane.

Price is a significant concern. Every second day I wonder if it's really a good idea to buy something that expensive and then abandon it in odd spots while I go adventuring. Maybe when I see the security details for the R1t, I will feel more at ease.

So, what else would fit the bill? Perhaps, the upcoming Toyota BZ4X. I wouldn't get as long a roof line to work with, but it would carry all my stuff. It will definitely be cheaper. But, who knows how much range it will have.

Perhaps one of the all-wheel drive SUV's might work. Most of them seem to come up short on range.

The Alpha Wolf with the extended cab would work. It's very close to what I have now. Short range is a problem.

The one vehicle I could see pulling me away from Rivian would be an electric Toyota Tacoma. If it comes with a decent range and a decent price tag, it would make a lot of sense.

If Rivian takes a long time getting around to me in the manufacturing order, there is a possibility an electric Tacoma might be close. That could be a problem for Rivian.

I kind of doubt that is going to happen. Where I sit right now, going green will require sucking it up and spending the big bucks.
I agree. That's a hefty price tag when their are several options that meet your needs as well if not better. I think it will eventually be more affordable to go green. Sounds like a smart play to wait in your case, given your needs.

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
I agree. That's a hefty price tag when their are several options that meet your needs as well if not better. I think it will eventually be more affordable to go green. Sounds like a smart play to wait in your case, given your needs.
I'm not sure "smart" is an accurate description of why I'm waiting.

I noodled for so long making a decision to order the R1t that I'm now well back in the order list. And, of course, they won't be shipping any vehicles north right away. So, we have to wait.
Sponsored