Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
If you run over my wife and her Seeing Eye Dog because they can't hear you coming because you tampered with a safety device, you can bet your butt I will take every dollar you have and then some in court.
If you run over a pedestrian even with a functioning AVAS it's pretty much on you. Very rarely would hitting a pedestrian in a parking lot or other low speed situation be deemed the fault of the pedestrian.
Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
If you run over a pedestrian even with a functioning AVAS it's pretty much on you. Very rarely would hitting a pedestrian in a parking lot or other low speed situation be deemed the fault of the pedestrian.
I think you're missing the point that a blind pedestrian could potentially avoid being hit altogether.

I'm about the furthest thing from a lawyer, but I've got to assume intentionally disabling a potentially life-saving technology would increase the severity of charges and liability.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I think you're missing the point that a blind pedestrian could potentially avoid being hit altogether.

I'm about the furthest thing from a lawyer, but I've got to assume intentionally disabling a potentially life-saving technology would increase the severity of charges and liability.
@DucRider was simply commenting on being at fault for hitting a pedestrian regardless of the circumstances.

Tampering however has the potential to change who pays. If the AVAS was functioning, your insurance would likely cover it as any other accident. If the AVAS was intentionally disabled, that could be deemed willful negligence (or some such legal mumbo jumbo, I'm no lawyer) and insurance may not have to pay out leaving the driver to shoulder the financial burden of any award/settlement.

Last edited:

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
If you run over my wife and her Seeing Eye Dog because they can't hear you coming because you tampered with a safety device, you can bet your butt I will take every dollar you have and then some in court.
Iā€™m with you there. Although I am curious why Automakers donā€™t give a couple of options of what sound you can make. Surely all of the auto makers donā€™t have the same sound?

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Iā€™m with you there. Although I am curious why Automakers donā€™t give a couple of options of what sound you can make. Surely all of the auto makers donā€™t have the same sound?
Go back and reread number 28. It implies there will be multiple noises to select from. Tesla has this too. Not sure of others. For me all that matters is Rivian.

Sponsored

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
I believe there are some pretty strict legal requirements for the sound. If it is configurable, it's not like you're going to be able to choose like a jetsons sound or anything, it's going to be a few of the legal options.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I hope they offer the ā€œplaying card in the spokesā€ sound from my youthful bike gang days :rock:

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
I wish my Tesla had a bell or something to activate. Some people with headphones on will just stand in the middle of the parking lot. I once had to tap my horn as a pedestrian started walking sideways into my path. He was super mad that I used my horn.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
I once had to tap my horn as a pedestrian started walking sideways into my path.
I've had the same problem with pedestrian on the bike path.

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
Id just hope you could turn off the sound in places like home or private/rural areas. I live on land and donā€™t want to make noise at slow speeds to bother others. All we hear is the wind typically at best.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Automakers don't all have to have the same sound, but there are very specific requirements.
There was a petition by some automakers to allow user selectable sounds (currently prohibited) and it is out for further study before being granted (last I heard)
Id just hope you could turn off the sound in places like home or private/rural areas. I live on land and donā€™t want to make noise at slow speeds to bother others. All we hear is the wind typically at best.
The EU standard allows for the user to turn it off in certain areas. That was specifically removed from the US standard.

This is a very complicated standard with very specific testing down to specific trim levels.
A sample of the rules:

In the final rule, hybrid and electric vehicles will instead have to meet a requirement based on sound level in either two or four one-third octave bands at the vehicle manufacturer's option, and a vehicle may alternate between meeting the 2-band and 4-band specifications depending on test speed. Vehicles complying with the 4-band option must meet minimum sound pressure levels in any four non-adjacent one-third octave bands between 315 Hz and 5000 Hz, including the one-third octave bands between 630 Hz and 1600 Hz (these bands were excluded in the NPRM). Vehicles complying with the 2-band option must meet minimum sound pressure levels in two non-adjacent one-third octave bands between 315 Hz and 3150 Hz, with one band below 1000 Hz and the other band at or above 1000 Hz. The two bands used to meet the 2-band option also must meet a minimum band sum level.
Under the 4-band compliance option, the minimum sound levels for each band are slightly lower than the values proposed in the NPRM, and the overall sound pressure of sounds meeting the 4-band option will be similar to those meeting the proposed eight-band requirements in the NPRM. Under the 2-band compliance option, the minimum sound requirements for each band are lower than those of the proposed eight-band requirements for the low and mid frequency bands (315 Hz through 3,150 Hz; the 4,000 Hz and 5,000 Hz bands are not included for the purpose of determining compliance with the 2-band requirement.) Neither the 4-band compliance option nor the 2-band compliance option include requirements for tones or broadband content that were contained in the NPRM.
For both the 2-band and 4-band compliance options, the final rule expands the range of acceptable one-third octave bands to include those between 630 Hz and 1600 Hz (these bands were excluded in the NPRM). It also reflects an across-the-board reduction in the minimum levels of 4 dB(A) to account for measurement variability which the agency's development of test procedures indicated was needed.

Final Rules:
https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...um-sound-requirements-for-hybrid-and-electric

Test procedures:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.d...irements_for_hybrid_and_electric_vehicles.pdf

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Based on the replies, looks like
The latest Teslaā€™s make that sound. You canā€™t hear it with the windows up. Outside, it isnā€˜t all that loud, sounds like a UFO spaceship.

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
These were new pieces of info to me...

Power Provisions for Winch Included
That's very good news. But I'll be very interested to see how it works. My Warn 10-S draws 400 amps at 12 volts....

MW_Riley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1974 Land Cruiser 2000 Land Cruiser 2009 Ducati Sport Classic 1000S 2011Ducati StreetfighterS
I know this has been covered a few times in other threads; but Iā€™ll say it again for those Rivian employees watching. Please, please allow the sound to be turned off. It is an adventure vehicle and some adventures are best had as quietly as possible.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I know this has been covered a few times in other threads; but Iā€™ll say it again for those Rivian employees watching. Please, please allow the sound to be turned off. It is an adventure vehicle and some adventures are best had as quietly as possible.
They can't give you control to turn it off while at the same time ensuring without a doubt they are complying with regulations by having it on. Just trying to manage expectations, because the chances of being able to toggle the sound off are hovering right around zero.
Sponsored