Not open for further replies.

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Shop, extremely well respected, noted the damage during the wrapping process. The matte finish highlighted the issue that wasn't seen before as it is at more shoulder height.

No damage to the paint or clear so it looks like the damage was in the tins before they were sprayed.

Anyone else have anything like this?

Rivian R1T R1S Body Damage...not seen at delivery IMG_2010

Rivian R1T R1S Body Damage...not seen at delivery IMG_6891
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
It could have been there before or someone could have done it since either you or someone in a parking lot. I can’t tell that it was done before paint because paint doesn’t always wrinkle or show damage when metal is dented. Especially new paint is going to be more flexible than old.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Looks like a door ding to me. No way your wrap shop could have missed that being there before wrapping. If it were my shop I would have refused the vehicle until it was repaired.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I would just find a good PDR person, that looks like something they could remove. Might have a little of that crease towards the back left but it would mostly disappear.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I’ve seen similar types of dents in every R1T I’ve driven. These body panels seem particularly prone to denting. I don’t know if it’s the design of the panels, the quality of the metals used, or a combination of both, but they are not resilient.

Sponsored

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Son put a similarly looking dent in on my door. Getting a quote next week I hope to have it repaired.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I’ve seen similar types of dents in every R1T I’ve driven. These body panels seem particularly prone to denting. I don’t know if it’s the design of the panels, the quality of the metals used, or a combination of both, but they are not resilient.
Before or after driving them?

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Looks like a door ding to me. No way your wrap shop could have missed that being there before wrapping. If it were my shop I would have refused the vehicle until it was repaired.
So...I only have the 200 or so 5 star reviews and the personal relationship to the shop owner to go on. Granted, he was not doing the "wrapping" and given the nearly eye level damage to the persons doing the wrapping, it's less visible.

How do you explain the complete lack of any damage to the clear or paint, or do you think the damage is just not at a level that would create paint damage? Isn't hard to scuff clear coat to be honest.

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
It could have been there before or someone could have done it since either you or someone in a parking lot. I can’t tell that it was done before paint because paint doesn’t always wrinkle or show damage when metal is dented. Especially new paint is going to be more flexible than old.
Isn't from the parking lot, at least not in my 50 miles of ownership of the truck. It was parked between two of my vehicles that haven't moved in 3 weeks. Hence the reason I put it there.

Based on the other reports of folks seeing creases in the gear tunnel doors from shutting them with some force, it sounds like the tins on the this truck aren't that sturdy.

When the truck was delivered, there was clear damage to the skid plate from transit strapping or handling. Not sure why the default wouldn't be to expect that this was also damaged in handling or origination.

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Son put a similarly looking dent in on my door. Getting a quote next week I hope to have it repaired.
Interested to see if they can get it out and fix the crease. Thanks. Ping me with the results.

Sponsored

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Interested to see if they can get it out and fix the crease. Thanks. Ping me with the results.

Will do. Still dealing with insurance company to repair all the damage as well from when I was rear ended ...

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
By the way, what door is opening at mid shoulder height for most people?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

How do you explain the complete lack of any damage to the clear or paint, or do you think the damage is just not at a level that would create paint damage? Isn't hard to scuff clear coat to be honest.
If the ding was in the metal before paint application, it would affect the paint thickness in that area, so would be pretty easy to be able to verify that with the right equipment. As for why there isn't a scuff, it's totally dependent on what the thing is you are hitting is made of. This isn't "someone opened their door into the truck" it's "someone opened the door of the truck into something".

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Sucks that it happened, but if you didn't note it at delivery it's pretty unlikely Rivian will take responsibility for it.

Is it on the driver side or passenger side?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.