Status
Not open for further replies.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Before or after driving them?
They’ve all been driven to some extent, but low mileage, without abuse (no off-roading), and in areas of the truck that wouldn’t be prone to a door ding in a parking lot.

For instance, my truck has two very small dents on the rear passenger-side door on the portion of the panel that extends up around the window. Too high for a door ding. Even stranger on that same door there’s an impression dent on the inside of the door near the latch. There are signs this door was repositioned at some point, either at the factory or at an SC, so that could be the cause.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

By the way, what door is opening at mid shoulder height for most people?
That's about the same height as a truck door mirror. Totally possible to have done this without realizing it and without having to make a bang.

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
If the ding was in the metal before paint application, it would affect the paint thickness in that area, so would be pretty easy to be able to verify that with the right equipment. As for why there isn't a scuff, it's totally dependent on what the thing is you are hitting is made of. This isn't "someone opened their door into the truck" it's "someone opened the door of the truck into something".
What, about a ding in the tin beforehand, would change the applied thickness of paint?

FYI...the wrapping company works on million dollar hyper cars. My truck was probably the cheapest thing in the shop and the truck was parked between two of my trucks that weren't moved or opened in the mean time.

Not trying to be a dick here, just trying to let the record reflect accurately is all.

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Sucks that it happened, but if you didn't note it at delivery it's pretty unlikely Rivian will take responsibility for it.

Is it on the driver side or passenger side?
Drivers

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
They’ve all been driven to some extent, but low mileage, without abuse (no off-roading), and in areas of the truck that wouldn’t be prone to a door ding in a parking lot.

For instance, my truck has two very small dents on the rear passenger-side door on the portion of the panel that extends up around the window. Too high for a door ding. Even stranger on that same door there’s an impression dent on the inside of the door near the latch. There are signs this door was repositioned at some point, either at the factory or at an SC, so that could be the cause.
Thanks. Sorry your brand new truck is buggered up too.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
That's about the same height as a truck door mirror. Totally possible to have done this without realizing it and without having to make a bang.
Again...not driven or used in any capacity prior to noting the damage. Was parked at my office between two trucks that don't get moved current. Locked as well. This isn't from damage in a parking lot whilst in my possession.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Again...not driven or used in any capacity prior to noting the damage. Was parked at my office between two trucks that don't get moved current. Locked as well. This isn't from damage in a parking lot whilst in my possession.
You didn't take any photos or video on delivery day at all?

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
You didn't take any photos or video on delivery day at all?
I did. I have reviewed them and I didn't focus in on that area. I did find the damage to the skid plate and the reality is that Matte finish highlights damage that I am not sure I ever would have observed given the eye level and sheen coming off the car.

Again...parked and delivered to the most well reviewed wrapping shop in the DMV. Is it possible they did it...sure. But I am pretty sure they have it either figured out at this point or would have seen to the correction if they did the damage.

These are just logical hypotheses on my part though.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
The last PDR I had done was on a three year old vehicle and the dent was twice as deep. However, there was absolutely no damage to the paint that was noticeable after the repair.

At this point, it probably doesn't matter how it happened, just what to do next. If I owned the wrap shop, I'd would at least recommend a good PDR person and offer to re-wrap the door at no charge after the fix (if needed).

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
The last PDR I had done was on a three year old vehicle and the dent was twice as deep. However, there was absolutely no damage to the paint that was noticeable after the repair.

At this point, it probably doesn't matter how it happened, just what to do next. If I owned the wrap shop, I'd would at least recommend a good PDR person and offer to re-wrap the door at no charge after the fix (if needed).
Probably the route that is going to happen. Appreciate the advice.

Sponsored

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
For what it’s worth, I noticed a dent in the tailgate minutes after delivery while parked to get coffee. Opened a ticket right away and they repaired it no questions asked.

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
For what it’s worth, I noticed a dent in the tailgate minutes after delivery while parked to get coffee. Opened a ticket right away and they repaired it no questions asked.
I have a ticket open and they are calling me back on Sunday. Rivian has been responsive. Nothing but good things to say on the service front so far from me.

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
Son put a similarly looking dent in on my door. Getting a quote next week I hope to have it repaired.
You'd repair something that insignificant? I wouldn't bother risking further imperfection. No repair is will ever match factory. Wait for some anus to hit you in the parking lot or some other common ding then get it all repaired at once.

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

You'd repair something that insignificant? I wouldn't bother risking further imperfection. No repair is will ever match factory. Wait for some anus to hit you in the parking lot or some other common ding then get it all repaired at once.

Some dingus did rear end me. Hence getting fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.