Sponsored

Cold weather Kills the battery!

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
All BEV adopters are suffering from the cold weather range loss syndrome. And towing? Forget about it unless you enjoy subjecting yourself to frustration.

Iā€˜ll bet a 2032 Rivian owner will laugh at how large, heavy and inefficient battery packs were 10-years ago. Major advancements are coming.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Sponsored

Lil'Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE
Occupation
Product Support
This is the reason we will never be a full EV family while living in IL.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Crazy... I wonder why I am not experiencing this
Short drives absolutely murder the efficiency. Guessing OP doesn't drive more than 10 miles at a time.

Sponsored

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer
250 miles drive in 16-20 degrees, with pretty gusty wind. No precip.

Good speeds, up to 80 mph.

Averaged 1.47 miles/Kw

About a 30-40% drop from norm.

R1S.

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

Sorry if I'm being repetitive with this data....... But I'm putting it on every thread about range loss in cold weather because I think this large data set is more helpful to people than single observations or anecdotal comments about the effect of temperature.

Cold weather significantly reduces range with EV's. More so on short trips than long trips. This dataset is representative of range/efficiency loss during a long road trip when the battery has had time to get up to operating temperature.

Rivian R1T R1S Cold weather Kills the battery! R1T percent change vs tem

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Sorry if I'm being repetitive with this data....... But I'm putting it on every thread about range loss in cold weather because I think this large data set is more helpful to people than single observations or anecdotal comments about the effect of temperature.

Cold weather significantly reduces range with EV's. More so on short trips than long trips. This dataset is representative of range/efficiency loss during a long road trip when the battery has had time to get up to operating temperature.

R1T percent change vs temp.jpg
Keep showing your data, it's some good looking data. I like this plot even better than the one I seen you post yesterday because here your Y axis should be independent of which tire you're on. Also should be somewhat independent of the drive mode too as the losses in efficiency are due to cabin and battery heating.

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Just figure half the range in very cold weather... It's not extract but good enough to get the idea.

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

Keep showing your data, it's some good looking data. I like this plot even better than the one I seen you post yesterday because here your Y axis should be independent of which tire you're on. Also should be somewhat independent of the drive mode too as the losses in efficiency are due to cabin and battery heating.
Thatā€™s right! Very good points to make. Thanks for commenting.
Sponsored