Electric Coolers - worth the cost?

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
For the car campers, is the electric cooler a “must have” or just a luxury item? Are you using an external battery apart from your R1? If not, are you using 12V or 120V Rivian supply?

My outings are typically 2-3 nights at a time. I’m rarely space limited because it’s just me. My coolers usually contain fresh meat and produce for cooking…and maybe a few cold beverages (I’m more of a bourbon guy). I’m trying to determine if the benefit justifies the cost ($1K+).

Recomended brand / models? Camp with it in your truck bed or backseat?

thanks for input!
Sponsored

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

I just purchased a Dometic CFX3 35. This one fits in the back under the cover, which was honestly the main selling point.

I have an Ecoflow Delta 2 to power the fridge via it's 12v socket. I already had this for home backup power and this way I don't have to use any of the car's power when I am not driving. The plan is to keep the Delta 2 plugged in to the 120v in the bed, so it'll charge when the car is in use.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I'd call a fridge-freezer a luxury must-have. : )
A "real" fridge-freezer is a game-changer. To be able to freeze ice and have an "infinite" supply of chilled drinks, just the luxury of bringing along kombucha … must-have luxury.
For brands, the first-class ticket is ARB. Indestructible, efficient, heirloom durability.
For me, the ICECO is great. Excellent compressor, energy efficiency, quiet, relatively inexpensive (cheaper than some insulated "coolers.")
I have the ICECO JP42 in the back of an F-150 Hybrid. Lives a helluva life, but no problems (other than the cigarette connector is a terrible idea, but that's not unique to a brand of fridge … how we don't have solid 12V connectors instead of legacy "resistor coil heating element" connectors … I dunno … "compatibility" is another word for one foot stuck in mud.)

I have the (small) ICEO GO20 which is great for energy efficiency, fits in the frunk, bluetooth control so you can check it's on and not warming. It's a little small, but it fits and it can hold all the frozen stuff on one side and chill drinks on the larger side of the (removable) divider. So you have an unlimited supply of cold drinks, you have food that can be frozen or chilled, and you can keep making a tray of ice every few hours (for drinks or to top up a small cooler in the cabin, which is how we do things.)

I use the iceco to keep frozen groceries frozen while running errands, and there's always a couple of chilled drinks there day to day. The 20 GO20 cost $350 (now $450, so maybe wait for the next discount offer) so it's not inexpensive, but I'd rate it as money well spent.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I have the iceco 20 in my frunk at all times cold drinks all the time is awesome. Today went to a Halloween party had the wine in the freezer and some sour cream in the fridge. Other day did a road trip we have a 3 month old and my wife is pumping we are able to keep milk in the fridge and freeze what she pumped it was great.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I definitely bought a knockoff brand off Amazon for like $250 bucks and definitely appreciate being able to keep stuff cold and dry. Would I have paid more than $1,000? No.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I have an ICECO JP30, we use it for the beach in the summer. No way to beat 33deg iced tea on the beach when it's 90deg outside! It's also great for BBQ's at home so you don't have to run out for ice to keep drinks cold. It's super handy to have.
I made my own 12V battery pack, it's similar to the Jackery portable power stations people use.

If you're patient... wait till "prime day" or Black Friday and you can save $100 or more off the regular price. The JP30 is $499 but I got it for $399 last "prime day".

Rivian R1T R1S Electric Coolers - worth the cost? 20220715_090654

Last edited:

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I have an ICECO JP30, we use it for the beach in the summer. No way to beat 33deg iced tea on the beach when it's 90deg outside! It's also great for BBQ's at home so you don't have to run out for ice to keep drinks cold. It's super handy to have.
I made my own 12V battery pack, it's similar to the Jackery portable power stations people use.

If you're patient... wait till "prime day" or Black Friday and you can save $100 or more off the regular price. The JP30 is $499 but I got it for $399 last "prime day".

20220715_090654.jpg
More info on your battery pack.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Costco has one. I’ve used it for several years with no issues. Works wonderful. Nothing like your food not getting soggy from melted ice and it always being cold. It was less than the comparable Yeti cooler.

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
Please excuse the elementary questions, but want to better understand the need for external battery.

Q1: If I’m running electric cooler from Rivian 12V plug, do I run risk of draining the R1 12V battery regardless of SOC of battery cells? Does Rivian throw a warning light if 12V battery starts running low?

Q2: If I run electric cooler from Rivian 120V outlet, is the SOC all that I have to be concerned about?

Q3: I assume if I’m able to keep Rivian plugged into L2 charger at campground, then all of this is a moot point?

Thanks for sharing intel…very helpful.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I use the iceco to keep frozen groceries frozen while running errands, and there's always a couple of chilled drinks there day to day. The 20 GO20 cost $350 (now $450, so maybe wait for the next discount offer) so it's not inexpensive, but I'd rate it as money well spent.
Hadn't considered the errand use case, but great idea. I got the Iceco GO20 for that $350 during Prime Day as well and then grabbed their 250 Wh battery pack to act as an intermediate power supply when the vehicle is off. No Rivian yet, so I used it in my 4Runner during my last off-road vacation and it worked quite well while being light enough to bring into the hotel at night.

Sponsored

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
I bought the Iceco VL75PROD for use in the Rivian R1S that I am still waiting for. I will just keep everything on 12 volts. This Iceco model is nice as it has two sides that you can set the temperature at so one side can be a refrigerator and one side a freezer or set both for refrigerator or both freezer. Just for the fun of it I went on a picnic and had the luxury of eating ice cream bars on a hot day, I think I was the only one in the park with that! When I get my Rivian I will be the only one in the park with that too!

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
My ARB fridge is the best camping equipment I have ever bought. It really is a game changer. No need to buy ice. More room in the fridge since you don't need room for ice. No more hot dog water!! I use a Goal Zero Lithium 1000 Yeti battery and a 100W solar power to power it on longer trips. I can leave the fridge and battery pack at camp if I want. A nice trick for ice cubes for drinks. Put ice cubes in a vacuum insulated bottle like the wide mouth 36oz Yeti Rambler. Make sure the inside is dry before adding the ice. The ice cubes will keep for days if you store the bottle in the fridge.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I have the Iceco GO20 because it fits in the frunk. Unfortunately it won't hold temperature when in the funk.

I set the freezer side to 0 degrees but it can never get below 14 when in the frunk. It typically hovers between 14-16 degrees when driving or just stationary. If I open the frunk and let the air circulate, it will then get down to 0.

(Outside air temperature 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit)

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

I’ve been running a cheap ($250) one I got from Costco off my Jeeps 12v system for almost 3 years now. It’s one of those items that once you have one you’ll never go back.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
My Dometic CFX40 is a total game changer!!!! And not just for camping! It will change the way you eat, when camping. It lives in my rig. It sips power and will run for up to 3 days, without starting the car. In case the battery gets too low, it will shut off before draining the battery below what would be sufficient to start the car. It’s great for those Costco/grocery runs. Always have some nice cold water on hand, as well. Mine is a fridge only, not the larger fridge/freezer combo. I usually have the thermostat set at about 34 degrees. When camping, I put ice cubes in a plastic jar. They will keep for 4+/- days. So, I always have ice for drinks. Once you have used one of these fridges, you will never, ever go back to an ice chest!
Sponsored