Sponsored

Bigeasy70075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Tundra, Wrangler
I'm just gonna wait it out. Not changing my configuration. Tired of this run around with Rivian. If it takes until 2023 so be it. I've been waiting for 43 months now, what's 3-6 more. I also have a R1S order from Jan 2022. May just switch the order in which I take delivery.
Sponsored

Mike TDM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 Chevy Volt, 11 Camaro 1SS, 02 Chevy 2500HD,
Occupation
Retired
The redesign is probably structural so you couldn’t retrofit it. Change your order to Max Pack for a decent shot at outlasting the delay.
Good idea until Rivian says the max pack is no longer available!

Bigeasy70075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saw a post on here from a person who took delivery of a truck with no tonneau. The rails on the bed are different. Just tacks that you can slide the manual slats into. I suspect it is the same rail for no or manual so if you chose no cover you can probably buy the manual cover later but the auto cover will have a different rail system so not easily interchangeable.

OP
OP
MountainBikeDude

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

This is the most frustrating part for me. Past few communications have all left obvious questions unaddressed.

Will the new camp kitchen be available at the same price to long-time preorders when it is ready?
Will the new tent + brake light be available at the same price or will I have to buy the brake light at some high cost?
Will the powered tonneau be available to install after delivery when the new design is ready? And at what cost?

All obviously going to be the first thing anyone asks. Or at least close to it. I appreciate that they're communicating more, but it all seems like they know the answers to these things and just don't want to say in public.

I try not to be too cynical, but it'd be pretty funny if all of the Locked In Price orders were delivered and everything suddenly became fixed and available widely.

*sigh*

Edited to add: The Friday night thing is so awful for their customer service and customers. They're not the government doing a news drop, they could be a little kinder to everyone.
To me as well, that's where these fall apart (communication wise, not tonneau wise lol) they have obviously taken the time to either do an all hands internal CS meeting or sent out an email outlining "What to say when customer asks ____" email, bring us into the transparency fold FFS. It's going to be asked, and require an answer. Oh you have one? Shit, put it in the initial email you sent me 2 minutes prior to posing these questions and wasting both our time.

In the end, I save 3000 cdn dollars by going manual. So far. Spare tire storage is next, spare will be mounted to the top of the hood soon. But don't worry, "it will have little to no effect aero"

OP
OP
MountainBikeDude

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Sponsored

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Expect the new price to be $3000 when it returns in 2023. Ouch…

Members who received their trucks with the powered tonneau cover should feel like they won the lottery. They will be eligible for a no charge 2.0 cover upgrade whin it’s available in 2023.
***It's already a $3K option now before being unavailable until redesign.***

People who has not received confirmation of their trucks being built should expect changes in the future as Rivian is a new and young company learning the business. They are not entitled to get their trucks built as configured when it's not in the company's best interest to offer it. I'm so glad I get to own one at pre-price increase, and even more glad that it drives and looks as good as it is, that everything else is just icing on the cake as people say.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
If you delay purchase long enough... maybe you'll be fortunate enough to get CV-Joints that are actually quiet and don't blow out after 800 miles. Or maybe even lucky enough to get a truck that doesn't lean to the right front 😁

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Rivian comms are not stupid. They know we want to know these things. They also know that if they say the redesign will be available on x date, some number of people will delay purchase until then, maybe a lot of people. And if they say that it will be $3000 they’ll get hell. And if they say the powered tonneau won’t be able to be retrofitted they may lose customers and get hell. And if they say the redesign will be at pre-March prices they’ll have more people delaying purchase.

The comms are designed with two goals: inform and influence.

This comm informs us about no powered tonneau then seeks to influence us through lack of info to still take an upcoming order. After all the wait could be years. The cost could be high. It doesn’t say the new design can’t be retrofitted. So maybe I’ll still take my order.

It’s unpalatable at best and manipulative at worst, but they want people to still take orders. So write the comm that will lead to the most orders still accepted. That’s the assignment, not wrote the comm that is most helpful to the customer.

Bigeasy70075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you delay purchase long enough... maybe you'll be fortunate enough to get CV-Joints that are actually quiet and don't blow out after 800 miles. Or maybe even lucky enough to get a truck that doesn't lean to the right front 😁
I think they call that a cybetruck.....LOL

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Rivian comms are not stupid. They know we want to know these things. They also know that if they say the redesign will be available on x date, some number of people will delay purchase until then, maybe a lot of people. And if they say that it will be $3000 they’ll get hell. And if they say the powered tonneau won’t be able to be retrofitted they may lose customers and get hell. And if they say the redesign will be at pre-March prices they’ll have more people delaying purchase.

The comms are designed with two goals: inform and influence.

This comm informs us about no powered tonneau then seeks to influence us through lack of info to still take an upcoming order. After all the wait could be years. The cost could be high. It doesn’t say the new design can’t be retrofitted. So maybe I’ll still take my order.

It’s unpalatable at best and manipulative at worst, but they want people to still take orders. So write the comm that will lead to the most orders still accepted. That’s the assignment, not wrote the comm that is most helpful to the customer.
I think a lot of people will wait. Someone said the fix cannot be retrofitted.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
If you have a manual tonneau, wouldn't it make more sense to just store it in your garage if not in use? Why put it in the gear tunnel?
That has been my plan from the min they introduced the "manual tonneau" option and I switched to it. It will cover the bed 99% of the time, when I need the bed... remove the panels and store them in the shed till the bed is empty at which point they will go back on the truck. No drama, no problem... no SC visits!

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Ok, so just to catch everyone up on this: Below is the photo from @Harvest, who took delivery this week of a truck with no cover. The rails are the exact same as those for the powered tonneau. According to the email shared by @MountainBikeDude they will continue to manufacture this bed until “early 2023” when they will offer a bed without rails for those who order no tonneau.

Those who order the manual cover should continue to get the same bed with rails but apparently will NOT have the option to retrofit the powered version.

Those who are waiting on trucks with powered tonneaus will either have to wait, or change their truck to manual/ no tonneau.

Rivian R1T R1S ⛔️ Powered Tonneau cover removed from R1T production until further notice on all future deliveries 1666400814610

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
Gah. Rivian must worry about my brain function as they always give me more to think about.

Truthfully I don’t need the powered cover, but it was kinda cool.

But my choice now is manual, no, or wait 6 months or so for a new design.

I asked and it can’t be added later if I buy now. But I can push back my order til new design.

I might just go Manual to get truck sooner, but it kinda makes me sad.

Trucks to early people have the cover and they will get any fix needed under warranty. Later trucks will get it with a new design.

I’ll be in the powered cover donut hole. :(

But waiting is tough.

G

• Sad
Reactions: Jac

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S