Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Not a fan of going from powered space saving convenience, to non powered 4 panel awkwardness and giving up storage every time I decide to run tonneauless.
This is my beef. I'd almost rather see more pieces and storing in the existing space vs taking up space in the gear tunnel if not in use. I'm sure most of the time I'd run without the tonneau I could just leave it at home, but it's still an inconvenience.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It pains me to say this, but in Rivians defense, how well would the powered tonneau have coped with Canadian winters? Not well, most wouldn't.

Not a fan of going from powered space saving convenience, to non powered 4 panel awkwardness and giving up storage every time I decide to run tonneauless.
It would’ve coped as well as windows on cars with frameless doors - the ones that drop down to clear the seal when the door is opened.

which is to say, 80% good 😜

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Hmmm I’m concerned if getting the manual now the auto will require possibly a new bed design and they may say well… sorry we are acutally only going to offer the powered version on new models - no retrofit. With all the other service issues they are having I really doubt there will be a possible way to get an auto cover if manual or no cover is chosen now. I know a lot of people didn’t like the design and were over the power cover but that was a draw for me personally. definitely cool factor for a near 6 figure truck.

Last edited:

Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
What I am trying to find out (on chat now), what if I want the powered cover, will they sell it to me later for the same $1500?
Same question I have about the camp kitchen. Also it’s like they didn’t test anything before rolling out this truck. Woof.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Hmmm I’m concerned if getting the manual now the auto will require possibly a new bed design and they may say well… sorry we are acutely only going to offer the powered version on new models - no retrofit. With all the other service issues they are having I really doubt there will be a possible way to get an auto cover if manual or no cover is chosen now. I know a lot of people didn’t like the design and were over the power cover but that was a draw for me personally. definitely cool factor for a near 6 figure truck.
There are 10k R1Ts out there with the previous design and it's only a matter of time before they all fail. They have to find a solution that works in the current enclosure and bed design.

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
The powered tonneau looked nice, but I can live with a manual one. I've had a rollup one on my F350 with velcro on the side and its handled 12 years of New England winters and abuse. The nice thing about the manual rollup one is it rolls up and takes only a bit of room near the cab but its "stored" and out of the way for the most part (perhaps less so with a 4.5' bed on the Rivian).

But the manual tonneau basically makes you give up the gear tunnel when its not in use, plus the space for the powered tonneau appears to be wasted/dead enclosed space when you have a manual or no tonneau option. If you could store the manual cover in the gear tunnel but got some back where the powered one was stored that may be a compromise but giving up both when not installed (or having to take up garage/shed etc space) isn't great.

Thinking the old velcro roll up cover may be the way to go here. Problem is nobody makes them yet but I think that market is about to get going.

Given all the other great engineering Rivian has done its kind of surprising they got this so wrong and continue to do so.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

So if you want a powered cover you need to defer purchase until next year? If that is the case then they may have trouble selling vehicles since Q4 is likely to be at least 5,000 R1Ts.
At least Rivian stopping now means retrofitting is limited to about 12,000 vehicles which will still strain their service capabilities.

Sponsored

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
I don’t understand why they would change the bed design to having no side rails. Wouldn’t they want to leave people the option of buying their manual tonneau or having the powered version installed later?

I was told the power tonneau won’t be an add on if you get one between now and the future update.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Wait they said if you get a manual you won’t be able to change it to a powered in the future? Literally in my Tacoma today running around for work I thought to myself how excited I am about the powered tonneau. Lol of course.

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
What I am trying to find out (on chat now), what if I want the powered cover, will they sell it to me later for the same $1500?
I was told no, update can’t be added

Nuclianba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Pacifica hybrid
Honestly only added it to try and get the truck sooner. Glad it's gone and money saved, even redesigned I doubt you get years and years of trouble-free usage. To me the annoyance is that the manual cover is a pretty lame design. Would much prefer a rolled cover that stows in the same location as the powered. Don't want 4 panels with nowhere to put them. Frunk is good enough for me for secure storage. Understand others mileage may vary

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Such BULL! I should be able to get no cover and then get the power covered installed when it becomes available at pre March pricing. I swear they keep taking options away so pre March orders will just give up and cancel. Items being taken away are some of the very reasons why I ordered the Rivian. I feel it is still good deal at pre March pricing but they just keep chipping away at the stone.
The redesign is probably structural so you couldn’t retrofit it. Change your order to Max Pack for a decent shot at outlasting the delay.
Sponsored