How much for annual registration?

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
Public services are not meant to be profitable. They exist because we as a society agree that those services are necessary, like water, sewage, police, fire etc. Public transit falls within that realm of service, and as you mention, will go a long way to addressing problems that stem from traffic congestion.
Its a great perspective & thank you for summarizing so vast into a few lines. My knowledge of public infrastructure is so low that I always look out for knowledgeable input to understand the larger need, expected outcomes fulfilled through such implementations. This falls within the transportation as a right POV I would assume. I think governments around the world have spent a lot of money to build public services and rightfully so as it is a need. Most of the times, it is a thankless job !

I feel that opinions stem from the pinch to the tax payer and relevance of what is being done with respect to the tax payer. My lack of knowledge keeps me neutral most of the times though it pinches my pocket as I trust the folks who live , breathe the problem they are trying to address and the solutions that are built. I feel they owe the same accountability with which I have paid my taxes :).

I have always thought in case this measure or that new measure did not require us to pay additional taxes, would we have bothered so much ? I know it is too good to be true ! I think our involvement in the mission comes based on how it impacts us.

Hope all the infrastructure services that are built are not corrupted and fulfill the goals for which they were envisioned.

No opinion but just a note of thanks to @sevengroove for an effective 3 lines that made me think a lot !
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Oregon Registration for 4 years:
$ 187.00Title
$ 612.00Registration Fee for Electric Vehicle
$ 24.50Plate Fee
$ 823.50

I live in a county that adds $120

There is no Sales Tax in OR, but there is a .5% "privilege tax" on the dealer that sells the car that they can (and of course do) pass on to the consumer. That equates to $400 on an $80K Rivian.

Oregon has a $2,500 rebate, but the Rivians will not qualify. They would need to offer a base unit for <$50K. A fully decked out Model Y Performance @ $73,990 (+$1,200 dest & doc fees) does qualify because they have a base Model Y for under $50K MSRP.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Its a great perspective & thank you for summarizing so vast into a few lines. My knowledge of public infrastructure is so low that I always look out for knowledgeable input to understand the larger need, expected outcomes fulfilled through such implementations. This falls within the transportation as a right POV I would assume. I think governments around the world have spent a lot of money to build public services and rightfully so as it is a need. Most of the times, it is a thankless job !

I feel that opinions stem from the pinch to the tax payer and relevance of what is being done with respect to the tax payer. My lack of knowledge keeps me neutral most of the times though it pinches my pocket as I trust the folks who live , breathe the problem they are trying to address and the solutions that are built. I feel they owe the same accountability with which I have paid my taxes :).

I have always thought in case this measure or that new measure did not require us to pay additional taxes, would we have bothered so much ? I know it is too good to be true ! I think our involvement in the mission comes based on how it impacts us.

Hope all the infrastructure services that are built are not corrupted and fulfill the goals for which they were envisioned.

No opinion but just a note of thanks to @sevengroove for an effective 3 lines that made me think a lot !
I'm glad you found my post thought-provoking! You're right that working for government can feel thankless - I know from first hand experience. It can sometimes be hard to convince folks to pay - via taxes - for things they might not use, like light rail or schools (if you don't have children) or universal healthcare. But those things bring so much value to society as a whole, and we need to broaden our perspectives to understand that the individual (you or me) stands to gain if the people around us are healthier, educated, and happier. I'm going to stop there before I get too in the weeds :).

Mr_funnypuns

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Toyota Prius, 2009 Hybrid Sierra, 1985 Fiero
Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Six Sigma “Black Belt”
I'm glad you found my post thought-provoking! You're right that working for government can feel thankless - I know from first hand experience. It can sometimes be hard to convince folks to pay - via taxes - for things they might not use, like light rail or schools (if you don't have children) or universal healthcare.
I’m not convinced about everything on your list. The thing about the power to tax is that it’s very effective at convincing people like me to pay for things with which they disagree.

the result is a system that gets to experiment at a larger scale. Sometimes it results in good things like Mars landings.

WRT ev’s it’s a worthwhile experiment, but gas burners should be taxed to subsidize ev’s. Not the other way round.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I’m not convinced about everything on your list. The thing about the power to tax is that it’s very effective at convincing people like me to pay for things with which they disagree.
I'm not sure I fully understand your point here - is it that you disagree with using tax dollars to fund good public schools and affordable healthcare access?

the result is a system that gets to experiment at a larger scale. Sometimes it results in good things like Mars landings.

WRT ev’s it’s a worthwhile experiment, but gas burners should be taxed to subsidize ev’s. Not the other way round.
I agree that part of the system of taxation allows for research and experimentation, and also fully agree that we should be taxing fossil gas use to fund EVs. But I would argue that the purpose of government and taxation is not just to fund experiments, it is to fill necessary market gaps. Here's a handy chart for federal tax spending, with the caveat that we can robustly debate what is "necessary":

Rivian R1T R1S How much for annual registration? 1613760274306

Sponsored

Mr_funnypuns

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Toyota Prius, 2009 Hybrid Sierra, 1985 Fiero
Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Six Sigma “Black Belt”
“I'm not sure I fully understand your point here - is it that you disagree with using tax dollars to fund good public schools and affordable healthcare access?”

my point does not depend on me specifying which point of your list I disagree with.My point is we differ on where and how tax dollars should be spent. Neither of us can say “no” to taxes which are used to fund things we’d prefer not funded..

my point is that a tax does an end run around any need to explain to the public, and secure approval for, expenditures.The power to tax is the power to compel cooperation without regard to conscience, ethics, logic, or faith. It is subject only to political power.

you suggested it was difficult to explain needs to the public. I pointed out a bit sarcastically that the power to tax eliminates any need to explain.

The power to tax allows for some good, and some bad, with a modest net gain to the good over the decades, assuming the individual statistical outliers are ignored.

being the beneficiary of a public education I happen to agree with you on that point. An educated populace is a huge benefit to the economy and culture.

Jmiller929

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES Mercedes SUV
3.060 Registration Fees (CVC §§9250–9265 and 9400.1)
To register a vehicle in California, certain basic fees are collected, based on the type of vehicle, county of residence, and type of transaction.

Other miscellaneous fees may also be due, based on the type of vehicle and type of transaction.

The regular fees required for vehicles subject to registration are:

• Registration fee (RF). $60
  • California Highway Patrol (CHP) law enforcement fee. $26
  • Miscellaneous county fees which DMV is mandated to collect. Varies by location
  • Vehicle license fee (VLF). 0.65% ($585 on a $90K vehicle)
  • Weight fee (WF) for commercial vehicles. n/a
  • Reflectorized license plate fee. $1
The EV fee that will be collected starting in 2020 is $100/year (As a reference point, Oregon is $200). That equates to ~211 gallons of gas or the equivalent of driving 3K to 5K miles per year in a new pickup (15 to 25 mpg).
And that is why folks are fleeing CA. They want and mandate clean energy then tax the hell out of you. Sorry a little vent.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
my point does not depend on me specifying which point of your list I disagree with.My point is we differ on where and how tax dollars should be spent. Neither of us can say “no” to taxes which are used to fund things we’d prefer not funded..
Gotcha, that's fair enough. I mean in theory we participate in our democracy to elect those who we think will make those decisions that are aligned with our interests. And in theory if there are enough people who align with your interests, then you vote your person in to enact that agenda, thereby saying "no" to taxes that you don't agree with using your vote. But our democratic system has demonstrated time and again that the will of the people is secondary to corporate interests. It brings us back to square one where there will always be tax spending (or the lack thereof) that we disagree with.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Quote removed.

I'm not going to pretend this doesn't happen all the time, but it's probably not a great idea to share your tax evasion plans on a public forum:
(6) It is a gross misdemeanor for a resident, as identified in RCW 46.16A.140, to register a vehicle in another state, evading the payment of any tax or vehicle license fee imposed in connection with registration. It is punishable, in lieu of the fine in subsection (4) of this section, as follows:
(a) For a first offense:
(i) Up to three hundred sixty-four days in the county jail;
(ii) Payment of a fine of five hundred twenty-nine dollars plus any applicable assessments, which may not be suspended or reduced. The fine of five hundred twenty-nine dollars must be deposited into the vehicle licensing fraud account created in the state treasury in RCW 46.68.250;
(iii) A fine of one thousand dollars to be deposited into the vehicle licensing fraud account created in the state treasury in RCW 46.68.250, which may not be suspended or reduced; and
(iv) The delinquent taxes and fees, which must be deposited and distributed in the same manner as if the taxes and fees were properly paid in a timely fashion, and which may not be suspended or reduced;
(RCW 46.16A.030).

Unless, of course, you were planning to become a bonafide Oregon resident and pay their income tax?
Sponsored

Last edited: