First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100D, 98 TJ, Silverado SS, 18 Camaro 2SS
Occupation
IT
Lots of typical posts of people going speed limit or close to it getting great mi/kwh. But I'm curious what people get for efficiency going 80ish mph; my standard road trip cruise control setting.
Sponsored

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
Here's my rule of thumb: you can drive a little slower, get there a little later, and spend less time at the charging stop. *OR* you can drive faster, get there faster, and spend longer charging - unless your speed will require an extra stop when your mi/KWh drops below 2. it's really a wash most times. (I'm a pilot and I have to make similar decisions every trip I make => speed vs. fuel consumption.)

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Here's my rule of thumb: you can drive a little slower, get there a little later, and spend less time at the charging stop. *OR* you can drive faster, get there faster, and spend longer charging - unless your speed will require an extra stop when your mi/KWh drops below 2. it's really a wash most times. (I'm a pilot and I have to make similar decisions every trip I make => speed vs. fuel consumption.)
Yep, totally agreed. I've had several ev's and generally can still settle around 75-80 (usually at 78) to still get efficient numbers. For example my P100D will do as good as 3.5 mi/kw from 75-80 once everything is warm. Generally my speeding is more about being able to drive lazily in the left lane instead of dealing with the occasional 50mph boomer in the middle lane.

Sponsored

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
On the 20s you will get between 1.8-2 mi/kWh at around 80 mph in my experience.
Good info, thanks. About what I figured. 240-260 miles from 100%. Gonna make my annual 2400 mile road trip take a while. Ah well.

I had a max pack reserved but I think thats vaporware. Changed to large and got guide contact two weeks later.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Good info, thanks. About what I figured. 240-260 miles from 100%. Gonna make my annual 2400 mile road trip take a while. Ah well
It's actually quicker to go fast if the spacing between chargers works out that way.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Consider some physics behind this. Looking at the blue curve (Rivian has a low Coefficient of Drag) of an aerodynamic car in this exaple chart, air drag force is under 100 Newtons from 0 to 40. Just to go from 70 to 80, it’s an additional 100 Newtons. You need 25% more energy from 70 to 80 on an aerodynamic vehicle. At 60, you need half the energy, as compared to going 80. Higher Speed has a huge impact on range.

Rivian R1T R1S Efficiency / range at 80 mph? 1664633703869

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Good info, thanks. About what I figured. 240-260 miles from 100%. Gonna make my annual 2400 mile road trip take a while. Ah well.

I had a max pack reserved but I think thats vaporware. Changed to large and got guide contact two weeks later.
The fasted travel time is achieved by driving fast and charging only to where charge speed is significantly reduced. However this approach really only works today on the interstate with many charging location. So usually only Tesla.

So fast and charging in the range from 5-10% to 50-60%.

I have done many 1000 mile plus days in a gas car. In reality, with an EV, I would not attempt that even with max pack. There's no way to quickly add 300+ miles of range with an EV

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
My anecdote: pegged at 85 mph, avg 2.2 mi/kWh on 21s with aero covers, no off-road pkg, tonneau closed, crossbars installed over bed.

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
My anecdote: pegged at 85 mph, avg 2.2 mi/kWh on 21s with aero covers, no off-road pkg, tonneau closed, crossbars installed over bed.
That’s not half bad. Mostly flat near you? I tend to get 280-290 out of my p100d. So that’s close.

I also went for full efficiency in the wheels and no Offroad pack. It’s a 6k lb truck with effectively three lockers. Street tires are fine.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
The fasted travel time is achieved by driving fast and charging only to where charge speed is significantly reduced. However this approach really only works today on the interstate with many charging location. So usually only Tesla.

So fast and charging in the range from 5-10% to 50-60%.

I have done many 1000 mile plus days in a gas car. In reality, with an EV, I would not attempt that even with max pack. There's no way to quickly add 300+ miles of range with an EV
If you drive 2 hours at 80mph vs 70- you save 20 minutes. Each time you stop to charge has charging overhead time (time it takes to get off highway, get connected to charger, etc). On a short, one charge trip, faster to speed. On a multi charge day trip, faster to slow down. Just depends how far you need to travel in a day. Sub-300 miles, faster to speed.

Galluprivian

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
Teacher
There are so many other variables. I charged to 240 miles range and drove 180 miles from Flagstaff to Gallup, NM and barely made it (it hit 0 miles range pulling in the driveway). The wind was behind me and I had bikes attached on a hitch rack. Hilly but not mountainous. I drove 83mph until I realized I was going to be cutting it close. Definitely need to pay attention particularly driving in places like northern AZ and NM.
Sponsored