First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100D, 98 TJ, Silverado SS, 18 Camaro 2SS
Occupation
IT
There are so many other variables. I charged to 240 miles range and drove 180 miles from Flagstaff to Gallup, NM and barely made it (it hit 0 miles range pulling in the driveway). The wind was behind me and I had bikes attached on a hitch rack. Hilly but not mountainous. I drove 83mph until I realized I was going to be cutting it close. Definitely need to pay attention particularly driving in places like northern AZ and NM.
Those hitch bike racks KILL efficiency. I could knock off 5mpg because of mine on my hemi grand Cherokee. It's outrageous.
Sponsored

Galluprivian

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
Teacher
Those hitch bike racks KILL efficiency. I could knock off 5mpg because of mine on my hemi grand Cherokee. It's outrageous.
I know. I ride an XXL frame so they stick out as well. There is no good way to move multiple bikes. I did drive from Flagstaff to Sedona and lost about 5 miles of range. But that road is slow and drops close to 3000 feet in 24 miles.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
The fasted travel time is achieved by driving fast and charging only to where charge speed is significantly reduced. However this approach really only works today on the interstate with many charging location. So usually only Tesla.

So fast and charging in the range from 5-10% to 50-60%.

I have done many 1000 mile plus days in a gas car. In reality, with an EV, I would not attempt that even with max pack. There's no way to quickly add 300+ miles of range with an EV

This is total hogwash. You can easily road trip long distances in a non-Tesla.

A Lucid or a Porsche will kick the crap out of any Tesla on a road trip due to faster charging speeds and superior charging curves.

Put down the Tesla "Jim Jones juice" and do a little research before you comment on what can and cannot be done in a CCS compatible vehicle. I have done multiple 1,000 mile road trips in my Porsche EV and never had any issues. And, when I get my R1T, I will go on multiple 1,000 mile road trips in that vehicle as well.

As mentioned in other posts, it is up to the driver and their preferences on how you road trip in an EV. Want to be conservative on your speed, then you will charge less. Want to haul ass, then you will charge more.

Last edited:

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Lots of typical posts of people going speed limit or close to it getting great mi/kwh. But I'm curious what people get for efficiency going 80ish mph; my standard road trip cruise control setting.
In the rain, 60F outside. 1.6mi/kWh on 22s.

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
This is total hogwash. You can easily road trip long distances in a non-Tesla.

A Lucid or a Porsche will kick the crap out of any Tesla on a road trip due to faster charging speeds and superior charging curves.

Put down the Tesla "Jim Jones juice" and do a little research before you comment on what can and cannot be done in a CCS compatible vehicle. I have done multiple 1,000 mile road trips in my Porsche EV and never had any issues. And, when I get my R1T, I will go on multiple 1,000 mile road trips in that vehicle as well.

As mentioned in other posts, it is up to the driver and their preferences on how you road trip in an EV. Want to be conservative on your speed, then you will charge less. Want to haul ass, then you will charge more.
Consider yourself lucky. EA chargers tend to be about 50% out of order in my experience with my Mach-E and I-Pace. Often quite a ways off the highway, charging quite a bit slower then advertised. Unfortunately the charge network is about 50% of the entire reason to buy a Tesla in the first place. It's incredible and reliable.

Sponsored

seajayseven

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Occupation
Jobs
On the 20s you will get between 1.8-2 mi/kWh at around 80 mph in my experience.
Possibly a dumb question but where are people pulling the stats from. Used to the tesla energy screen with way more info available than the rivian one, or am I missing some Rivian data set somewhere?

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
Consider yourself lucky. EA chargers tend to be about 50% out of order in my experience with my Mach-E and I-Pace. Often quite a ways off the highway, charging quite a bit slower then advertised. Unfortunately the charge network is about 50% of the entire reason to buy a Tesla in the first place. It's incredible and reliable.

I drove Teslas for a long time, and yes, the Tesla supercharging network is the strength of the company. The car drive quality is mediocre at best if you have a Model S, down right junk if you drive any of the other three models.

I would rather drive my Porsche, a Lucid, or a Rivian any day of the week over a Tesla regardless of the state of the charging infrastructure. I have logged a significant amount of miles in multiple Taycans and an Audi e-tron and have never been stranded, or stuck because of the Electrify America charging network.

I have driven from Denver to Houston, Denver to PHX multiple times, Denver to KC multiple times, Denver to Vegas multiple times, Denver to Los Angeles, and Denver to San Diego exclusively on the Electrify America network. I am not sure what you are talking about when you say that EA chargers are often quite aways off the highway because that is flat out not true as evidenced by charger placement in the central and western part of the country.

I would not judge the state of the Electrify America charging network on ownership of a Mach-E or especially a Jaguar I-Pace. Both cars are known the have wonky and poor charging capability.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I recently completed 500 mile trip. Mostly flat interstate, mild weather, and cruise control at 78-80 mph. Got about 2.1 mi/kWh on 20 AT in conserve mode.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I drove Teslas for a long time, and yes, the Tesla supercharging network is the strength of the company. The car drive quality is mediocre at best if you have a Model S, down right junk if you drive any of the other three models.

I would rather drive my Porsche, a Lucid, or a Rivian any day of the week over a Tesla regardless of the state of the charging infrastructure. I have logged a significant amount of miles in multiple Taycans and an Audi e-tron and have never been stranded, or stuck because of the Electrify America charging network.

I have driven from Denver to Houston, Denver to PHX multiple times, Denver to KC multiple times, Denver to Vegas multiple times, Denver to Los Angeles, and Denver to San Diego exclusively on the Electrify America network. I am not sure what you are talking about when you say that EA chargers are often quite aways off the highway because that is flat out not true as evidenced by charger placement in the central and western part of the country.

I would not judge the state of the Electrify America charging network on ownership of a Mach-E or especially a Jaguar I-Pace. Both cars are known the have wonky and poor charging capability.
Come to the east coast. Genuinely they're always at least half out of order. Lots of YouTube vids out there complaining about it.

I would agree though, the model S is the only tolerable Tesla (we have two). If it wasn't for it being electric it would more or less be junk. Lots of build issues with those cars.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Yep, totally agreed. I've had several ev's and generally can still settle around 75-80 (usually at 78) to still get efficient numbers. For example my P100D will do as good as 3.5 mi/kw from 75-80 once everything is warm. Generally my speeding is more about being able to drive lazily in the left lane instead of dealing with the occasional 50mph boomer in the middle lane.
You guys are backwards. Need to do the math.

Always quicker total trip time to drive faster and charge more than it is to drive slower and charge less. I'll post details of my road trip tomorrow. But, I averaged about 85 MPH to get home and made it home in just under 6 hours, including two short charging stops. On the way up, I drove slower, charged only one time and spent over 7 hours getting there.

Remember, these things charge at an average of around 250 to 300 miles per hour over the course of a full charge from 10-80%. So unless you're driving that fast, you can't burn off the energy that fast by going faster. Point is, you add it back a whole lot faster than you lose it by going 10-15 MPH faster.

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
For what it’s worth, a better route planner agrees driving faster = arriving faster. But he rivian is only in alpha on it.
Sponsored