How much for annual registration?

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Are there any Tesla owners here who can provide input on what it costs annually for registration, especially in California?

Not sure if others know, California enacted a penalty (surcharge) on EVs because they don't pay gas tax.

Model 3 probably not comparable, need info on what we expect Rivian to sell for, say $90,000 in round numbers equipped? What Tesla would be comparable to that price point?
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
3.060 Registration Fees (CVC §§9250–9265 and 9400.1)
To register a vehicle in California, certain basic fees are collected, based on the type of vehicle, county of residence, and type of transaction.

Other miscellaneous fees may also be due, based on the type of vehicle and type of transaction.

The regular fees required for vehicles subject to registration are:

• Registration fee (RF). $60
  • California Highway Patrol (CHP) law enforcement fee. $26
  • Miscellaneous county fees which DMV is mandated to collect. Varies by location
  • Vehicle license fee (VLF). 0.65% ($585 on a $90K vehicle)
  • Weight fee (WF) for commercial vehicles. n/a
  • Reflectorized license plate fee. $1
The EV fee that will be collected starting in 2020 is $100/year (As a reference point, Oregon is $200). That equates to ~211 gallons of gas or the equivalent of driving 3K to 5K miles per year in a new pickup (15 to 25 mpg).

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
To register a vehicle in California, certain basic fees are collected, based on the type of vehicle, county of residence, and type of transaction.

Other miscellaneous fees may also be due, based on the type of vehicle and type of transaction.

The regular fees required for vehicles subject to registration are:

• Registration fee (RF). $60
  • California Highway Patrol (CHP) law enforcement fee. $26
  • Miscellaneous county fees which DMV is mandated to collect. Varies by location
  • Vehicle license fee (VLF). 0.65% ($585 on a $90K vehicle)
  • Weight fee (WF) for commercial vehicles. n/a
  • Reflectorized license plate fee. $1
The EV fee that will be collected starting in 2020 is $100/year (As a reference point, Oregon is $200). That equates to ~211 gallons of gas or the equivalent of driving 3K to 5K miles per year in a new pickup (15 to 25 mpg).
California is expensive! My Tesla M3 was $76 for 2 years and the $75 for the HOV permit. (Florida)

OP
OP
davrow_R1T

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas

Vehicle license fee (VLF). 0.65% ($585 on a $90K vehicle)

• The EV fee that will be collected starting in 2020 is $100/year (As a reference point, Oregon is $200). That equates to ~211 gallons of gas or the equivalent of driving 3K to 5K miles per year in a new pickup (15 to 25 mpg).
Thanks for providing an authoritative answer. Not nearly as bad as I expected.

But yes, Joel, we do wish we would get something for our money besides broken promises.

Sponsored

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Thanks for providing an authoritative answer. Not nearly as bad as I expected.

But yes, Joel, we do wish we would get something for our money besides broken promises.
I grew up in San Diego and still have friends that live out there. I am always surprised how many people don’t move.

chizchiz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7, Jeep GC, Porsche 911, DeTomaso Pantera
Be glad you're not in colorado, will be multiples higher than even CA. On a $80k car, you'd be looking at about $1425 in ownership tax (this is NOT sales tax, we get that too), and $78 more for the true registration fee. And yes, this gets paid annually, but the ownership tax does go down over time.

delmi

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Land Rover Discovery
Here is the breakdown on my 2019 tabs for my 2017 Land Rover Diesel Discovery in the state of Washington:
Registration Fee $3.00
License Plate $0.25
Dept of License $0.50
Trans Benefit $20.00
Vehicle Wt $45.00
License $30.00
Registration $5.00
RTA Tax $577.00
Total $680.75
The RTA tax funds light rail which will eventually cost $54 Billion. The people just voted for the third time to replace these taxes with a flat $30.00 license fee.
The Seattle mayor and King Co executive, in their wisdom, filed a lawsuit to invalidate the election. Spare us the wisdom of politicians and be glad you don't live
in Washington

Mr_funnypuns

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Toyota Prius, 2009 Hybrid Sierra, 1985 Fiero
Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Six Sigma “Black Belt”
The RTA tax funds light rail which will eventually cost $54 Billion. The people just voted for the third time to replace these taxes with a flat $30.00 license fee.
Here in Chicago, I pay $7.50 each way when I go to the city from the suburbs. There’s subsidies, but none of them are enumerated in my tax bills. Presumably the taxes flow from property taxes through state/local/fed to railroads, but I have no idea how much the total I pay for it really is. At least you know, even if it is painful.

Light rail is not profitable, but at least it serves to relieve some traffic congestion and the problems that precipitate from it.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Light rail is not profitable, but at least it serves to relieve some traffic congestion and the problems that precipitate from it.
Public services are not meant to be profitable. They exist because we as a society agree that those services are necessary, like water, sewage, police, fire etc. Public transit falls within that realm of service, and as you mention, will go a long way to addressing problems that stem from traffic congestion.

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
be glad you don't live in Washington
I do.

The state needs to get revenue somehow to pay for the things we want and need, and we don't have an income tax. We also have relatively low property taxes (Texas, another no-income tax state has an average property tax levy almost twice as high as ours).

Are heavy taxes on vehicles popular? No. Would I prefer they were structured differently? Absolutely.

And then we have some really dumb policy on EV registration fees. It's the new ICE vehicles that should be hit with a surcharge to fund charging stations, not the EVs. And I've written my reps about that.

But at the end of the day, I don't see the income or property taxes changing all that much. That leaves a state that has to come up with funding in more creative ways. And one of the ones that works within our state's constitutional rules are the vehicle taxes.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
I do.

The state needs to get revenue somehow to pay for the things we want and need, and we don't have an income tax. We also have relatively low property taxes (Texas, another no-income tax state has an average property tax levy almost twice as high as ours).

Are heavy taxes on vehicles popular? No. Would I prefer they were structured differently? Absolutely.

And then we have some really dumb policy on EV registration fees. It's the new ICE vehicles that should be hit with a surcharge to fund charging stations, not the EVs. And I've written my reps about that.

But at the end of the day, I don't see the income or property taxes changing all that much. That leaves a state that has to come up with funding in more creative ways. And one of the ones that works within our state's constitutional rules are the vehicle taxes.
Yes. All of this.

Mr_funnypuns

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Toyota Prius, 2009 Hybrid Sierra, 1985 Fiero
Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Six Sigma “Black Belt”
Here in IL, where these things are being built, I still don’t know if it’s going to be plated as a “b” truck or an EV.

knowing Illinois they will try to double tax it as both.

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
I live in WA state and a little out of the boundary of the light rail program that @delmi mentioned. So I get spared a little. In WA, there are two EV based taxes. Here is the quote for my most recent Tesla Model S tab renewal.

Transportation Electrification - $75.00 To fund the EV infrastructure via Electrify America. This is applied to all BEV, PHEV and even Hybrids like Prius. Applying this to Hybrids is harsh as they will not use this infrastructure. There was a plan to have a ceiling limit of $150 and increase it every year but I think that faced a lot of objection and wasn't listed in the final letter of the law. RCW 46.17.324: Transportation electrification fee. (wa.gov)

EV vehicle Registration - $150.00 This is to cover for the loss of taxes collected from gas as the EVs have to pay for road usage. It is not based on miles commuted but a flat $150. RCW 46.17.323: Electric vehicle registration renewal fees.

Due to the light rail tax, my friends with a similar car within the boundary of light rail pay an additional ~$800 for their Model Xs. I think the calculation rate for the tab is 1.1% of the sales tax you paid when you bought the car or something like that. Paying for regional transit | Regional transit taxes | Sound Transit

I think most states either follow or will institute some sort of similar fees to account for EV vehicles to use the roads.

Fees and Donations
Registration License - Renewal
$30.00​
Transportation Electrification
$75.00
Electric Vehicle Registration Renewal
$150.00
Vehicle Weight
$45.00​
Registration Filing
$4.50​
Registration Service Fee
$8.00​
Department of Licensing Service
$0.50​
License Plate Technology
$0.25​
Total
$313.25

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
I live in WA state and a little out of the boundary of the light rail program that @delmi mentioned. So I get spared a little. In WA, there are two EV based taxes. Here is the quote for my most recent Tesla Model S tab renewal.

Transportation Electrification - $75.00 To fund the EV infrastructure via Electrify America. This is applied to all BEV, PHEV and even Hybrids like Prius. Applying this to Hybrids is harsh as they will not use this infrastructure. There was a plan to have a ceiling limit of $150 and increase it every year but I think that faced a lot of objection and wasn't listed in the final letter of the law. RCW 46.17.324: Transportation electrification fee. (wa.gov)

EV vehicle Registration - $150.00 This is to cover for the loss of taxes collected from gas as the EVs have to pay for road usage. It is not based on miles commuted but a flat $150. RCW 46.17.323: Electric vehicle registration renewal fees.

Due to the light rail tax, my friends with a similar car within the boundary of light rail pay an additional ~$800 for their Model Xs. I think the calculation rate for the tab is 1.1% of the sales tax you paid when you bought the car or something like that. Paying for regional transit | Regional transit taxes | Sound Transit

I think most states either follow or will institute some sort of similar fees to account for EV vehicles to use the roads.

Fees and Donations
Registration License - Renewal
$30.00​
Transportation Electrification
$75.00
Electric Vehicle Registration Renewal
$150.00
Vehicle Weight
$45.00​
Registration Filing
$4.50​
Registration Service Fee