Sponsored

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
[UPDATED 9/26/22]

While I don't tow everyday, it seems like I hitch something up to the R1T at least once a week. The cover is nice and I like to remove the hitch and replace the cover when I'm not towing. But it's a PIA to have to grab a screwdriver anytime it is removed and installed. That little screw thing is called a Quarter Turn Fastener. I went to McMaster-Carr and came up with a simple, cheap, thumb-turned quarter turn fastener fix.

Step 1. Go to McMaster-Carr and buy TWO of these. Not two of each...but two of either/or. The preferred part is 94188A210, it is the exact same length as the fastener you are replacing. 94188A220 is slightly longer and requires you to use a washer (see step 3). I listed both because availability could vary and both work perfectly.
Step 2. Discard the female part of the new fastener. All you need is the retainer clip and the male part. Cut the ears off the new fastener to the first line as indicated in the pics.

Step 3: If you bought part # 94188A210...you're done! Put it all back together reattach the cover.

IF YOU BOUGHT PART # 94188A220. Use BOTH the old plastic retainer/washer and the new one. One as a washer, and the other as retainer. The reason you need the old washer in addition to the new washer is that the shaft of the new fastener is very slightly longer than the old one. Without the additional washer on the outside to reduce the effective length, it won't hold as well.

Step 4. Done. Now you have a thumb(able) quarter turn fastener and you can ditch the screw driver.

Rivian R1T R1S Hitch cover DIY mod.  Ditch the screwdriver! 20220920_190831 (1) copy

Rivian R1T R1S Hitch cover DIY mod.  Ditch the screwdriver! 20220920_191830 copy

Rivian R1T R1S Hitch cover DIY mod.  Ditch the screwdriver! 20220920_191931 copy

Rivian R1T R1S Hitch cover DIY mod.  Ditch the screwdriver! 20220920_192001 copy

Rivian R1T R1S Hitch cover DIY mod.  Ditch the screwdriver! 20220920_192041 copy
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jafresh

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE LG, 2023 R1S LE El Cap
Occupation
Concrete Polisher
I like this! I tow a lot and already the screwdriver has tore up the existing plastic screw.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

McMaster-Carr FTW!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I took my cover off the first time I needed to use the hitch months ago and haven't put it back on since. Not even sure where I set it.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
If McMaster-Carr doesn't have it, you don't really need it. 😆
even bicycles!
Rivian R1T R1S Hitch cover DIY mod.  Ditch the screwdriver! 1663766275727

I did a job once where the customer engineer spec’d McMaster Carr PNs for everything. even a piece of schedule pipe. Threaded rod. The sheet metal. All of it McMaster.

I think I did end up getting the pipe from them, as it was a funny wall thickness and stainless, and only needed a foot of it.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
even bicycles!
1663766275727.png

I did a job once where the customer engineer spec’d McMaster Carr PNs for everything. even a piece of schedule pipe. Threaded rod. The sheet metal. All of it McMaster.

I think I did end up getting the pipe from them, as it was a funny wall thickness and stainless, and only needed a foot of it.
I don't think I've ever not found what I was looking for in the inventory, and there is a warehouse about 50 miles from us, so we order by 3 PM and have it at 9 AM the next day.

A few weeks ago I needed a 6mm pneumatic speed control valve for our bottle filler. That's a pretty obscure, low demand product and size. They had several different designs, all in stock.

Sponsored

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I took my cover off the first time I needed to use the hitch months ago and haven't put it back on since. Not even sure where I set it.
Same, It's a truck and has a hitch opening. Not sure why I would need to cover that, it's more of a pain taking it on and off.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Same, It's a truck and has a hitch opening. Not sure why I would need to cover that, it's more of a pain taking it on and off.
It’s only there to reduce drag. Or maybe to keep squirrels out of there… 🐿

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Mine's in the "under the flap" part of the frunk, along with the portable charge cable, a bed cargo net, a bottle jack, some bungee cords, a couple ratchet straps, and two different hitches. (One drop hitch, one "3 ball" in case I ever rent a U-haul trailer or similar and my big ball on the drop hitch won't work.)

IRun

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Model 3
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

How does this affect the efficiency? Can you tell us what kind of range loss you're getting with the increased drag?

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

No clue. I took the hitch cover off immediately upon delivery (to inspect and plug in to the trailer wire plug and make sure it worked) and haven't put it back on.

And with only a smidge over 1000 miles on the odometer, nearly half of that towing, I have no good "baseline" yet for range/efficiency. (And this weekend I'll be towing again, further "wrecking" my long-term efficiency.) Most of the non-towing driving has been "in town," with only sporadic in-town-freeway highway driving.

If I am going to go on a longer mostly-highway road trip when not towing, I'll put the cover back on and see what difference it makes.
Sponsored

Last edited: