Sponsored

Novo-caine

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ5 and allroad
Great idea! Buying them now. I hate having to use the screwdriver each time and mine started to get worn down. Thanks for sharing
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Same, It's a truck and has a hitch opening. Not sure why I would need to cover that, it's more of a pain taking it on and off.
Well look at you getting all the "Man Points" of the day! Joking. You don't really. But you also live in Texas where they don't use 334 million pounds of salt on the roads last year. And it was a light snow year! Everything rusts in what seems like an instant. The hitch cover is nice to keep the rust at bay at least a little.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
Or you could be like me. I semi-crunched mine on a small barricade that got placed on the street overnight and I wasn't watching closely, nor did a warning go off. Many were placed on my street as it was just repaved. The one in front of my house was the only metal one - all others on the street were rubber style :headbang:. I've put in a ticket to order a new one, but I don't really care. ;) This is how it sits much of the time.

As a positive, I look at it as protection if I'm rear ended. :rock:

Rivian R1T R1S Hitch cover DIY mod.  Ditch the screwdriver! 20220908_131055

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
As a positive, I look at it as protection if I'm rear ended. :rock:
Yeah, I have a 3/4 ton pickup with a "permanent" hitch. Couple years ago got rear ended hard at Arby's drive though. Punched a huge hole in their radiator all the way to the serpentine belt. I literally drove away without a scratch.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
Yeah, I have a 3/4 ton pickup with a "permanent" hitch. Couple years ago got rear ended hard at Arby's drive though. Punched a huge hole in their radiator all the way to the serpentine belt. I literally drove away without a scratch.
Also, the reason I NEVER use hitch racks for my mountain or road bikes.

Sponsored

CouR1Tois

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Launch Green, LE 20"AT
Occupation
Production Manager/Brewery Engineer
Clubs

Why is everyone trying to use a screw driver? You all dont have spare change in your vehicle?? Pennies, quarters, dimes and nickels all do the trick just fine

F1shSkier

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE
Occupation
Solar Energy Consultant
Clubs

While I don't tow everyday, it seems like I hitch something up to the R1T at least once a week. The cover is nice and I like to remove the hitch and replace the cover when I'm not towing. But it's a PIA to have to grab a screwdriver anytime it is removed and installed. That little screw thing is called a Quarter Turn Fastener. I went to McMaster-Carr and came up with a simple, cheap, thumb-turned quarter turn fastener fix.
This is awesome. Definitely doing this. Pretty annoyed that Rivian let this cover get through design all the way to production while still needing a separate tool to use.

@LeDiable might like it.

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Why is everyone trying to use a screw driver? You all dont have spare change in your vehicle?? Pennies, quarters, dimes and nickels all do the trick just fine
Pftt...that's too easy and makes too much sense. Plus who uses "paper" money these days. I haven't seen a quarter, dime, nickel or penny in 5 years!

Sponsored

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Step 1. Go to McMaster-Carr and buy TWO of these. Part #: 94188A220 https://www.mcmaster.com/94188A220/
Step 2. Discard the female part of the new fastener. All you need is the retainer clip and the male part. Cut the ears off the new fastener to the first line as indicated in the pics.
Step 3: Use BOTH the old plastic retainer/washer and the new one. One as a washer, and the other as retainer.
Step 4. Done. Now you have a thumb(able) quarter turn fastener and you can ditch the screw driver.
I followed the steps and did this today, it works nicely! I had a bit of trouble cutting the ears off the screw, since I didn't have the proper tools at hand, but I managed to get through it with some tin snips and a utility knife.

A quick note to others, since this wasn't obvious to me: The reason you need the old washer in addition to the new washer is that the shaft of the new fastener is very slightly longer than the old one. Without the additional washer on the outside to reduce the effective length, it won't hold as well.

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
A quick note to others, since this wasn't obvious to me: The reason you need the old washer in addition to the new washer is that the shaft of the new fastener is very slightly longer than the old one. Without the additional washer on the outside to reduce the effective length, it won't hold as well.
Yes,that's exactly right. There is a shorter fastener but I found it a little tight. I'm gonna add your text to the write-up. Thank you.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

McMaster-Carr was time-on-target yesterday. Will be band-sawing down the ears tomorrow!

beinenson

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Thank you for doing this! I am sure someone is surprised at McMaster why all these orders are coming through.

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Thank you for doing this! I am sure someone is surprised at McMaster why all these orders are coming through.
You're welcome. I updated the instructions with a new part number that is an exact fit, ie the "washer" is not needed. It was not available when I initially replaced mine. It is now, so there are two options for part #s to do the job and they both work perfectly.
Sponsored