Sponsored

VIN Over 10K - Any Issues Like Early VINs?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

VIN 98XX
Tonneau is dead, kaput, inoperative, has ceased to be among the living.

Other than that, I’ve been rather pleased.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
10,000+ VIN's are just being delivered now so not much time for new owners to discover some of the issues yet. But, in that list... most of those issues are still happening even with the newest vehicles.

Take em' one at a time..

-Steering wheel wobbles above 60mph.. still a problem w/no 100% known fix yet (Rivian has mentioned updating to a heavier steering wheel, but that hasn't happened yet).
-Pulling to the right.. out of spec alignment right from the factory- fix requires SC visit
-Glass roof breaking.. still a problem, same thin glass- not fixed
-Tonneau cover failing.. lol.. redesign in progress- no fix available at this time
-12v Batts going bad.. still happening on the newest of trucks- Rivian replaces the two 12V batts as fix
-Seat belt recall... only applied to a limited set of VINs
-CV joint failures.. still happening- replace axle half shaft
-Loose underbody bolts... notices are being sent out to new owners every day- requires SC visit
-Wet spots under driver floor mat.. still happening, cause not yet known- not fixed
-Excess cabin wind noise... still happening- varied "fixes" required depending on cause
-Creaking sounds when accelerating... still happening- known fix is available at the SC
-Passenger side lower than driver side.. still happening- cause unknown so far- not fixed

As far as we know, no major redesigns have been applied to the R1T yet.
This looks like a list from most new car forums. I've had none of these issues with my R1T so far, just like I drove my Taycan 12k miles and only had one minor issue.

Here is a list of threads from the Taycan forum (which has had several major recalls). This is the first page with all being from the last 30 days.

• Tailgate has stopped opening
  • At what point do we stop apologizing for Porsche (my favorite)
  • TSB: Brake Pedal Travel
  • Steering issue?
  • Losing Power Turtle Icon
  • Taycan unusable after software update
  • Electrical system fault/error
  • Whirring noise in PCM
  • Lasted 9 days (Panoramic roof))
  • AC performs poorly in hot weather
  • squeaky passenger seat
  • Electrical system error
  • 12v battery issue
  • Electrical parking brake error
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/forums/issues-warranty-recalls-tsbs.15/

I'll say the same thing I said on the Taycan forum 18 months ago when it was all doom and gloom. Forums make it seem like every vehicle is a lemon. Without any real data it's hard to know how many issues are taking place. Most likely only a few R1T owners are having serious issues. At the same time we shouldn't make excuses for Rivian but we need to be realistic. They are a startup making their very first production vehicle, and you will be buying one of the first vehicles made.

If you aren't willing to take a risk with a new model/company, go buy a Toyota. Otherwise take the plunge and most likely you'll love it, and never have major issues. So far Rivian has been shockingly good for a new company and their first model. Better than most OEMs.

Flabirder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model S P100DL
10xxx VIN here. Mine has the front drive unit failure (after <100 miles and 1 week of ownership). Everything else, including tonneau cover, was working great until that happened. :rolleyes:

Flabirder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model S P100DL
Are you getting all season floor mats and your key band delivered with the vehicles? I thought I saw some R1S folks with key bands.
I got the wristband and full 21" spare (with really flimsy jack) with the truck, but no all weather floor mats yet.

Sponsored

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
This looks like a list from most new car forums. I've had none of these issues with my R1T so far, just like I drove my Taycan 12k miles and only had one minor issue.

Here is a list of threads from the Taycan forum (which has had several major recalls). This is the first page with all being from the last 30 days.

• Tailgate has stopped opening
  • At what point do we stop apologizing for Porsche (my favorite)
  • TSB: Brake Pedal Travel
  • Steering issue?
  • Losing Power Turtle Icon
  • Taycan unusable after software update
  • Electrical system fault/error
  • Whirring noise in PCM
  • Lasted 9 days (Panoramic roof))
  • AC performs poorly in hot weather
  • squeaky passenger seat
  • Electrical system error
  • 12v battery issue
  • Electrical parking brake error
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/forums/issues-warranty-recalls-tsbs.15/

I'll say the same thing I said on the Taycan forum 18 months ago when it was all doom and gloom. Forums make it seem like every vehicle is a lemon. Without any real data it's hard to know how many issues are taking place. Most likely only a few R1T owners are having serious issues. At the same time we shouldn't make excuses for Rivian but we need to be realistic. They are a startup making their very first production vehicle, and you will be buying one of the first vehicles made.

If you aren't willing to take a risk with a new model/company, go buy a Toyota. Otherwise take the plunge and most likely you'll love it, and never have major issues. So far Rivian has been shockingly good for a new company and their first model. Better than most OEMs.
Thank you for sharing this information. Yeah, I almost wanted to put my Rivian on hold until they sort more of this out.

R1Tims

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E GTPE,
Occupation
Consultant
Here is a positive.
Mine is a Vin xx,18x level with 23K miles... Still going great. Have not had the above issues. Cabin wind noise- some and the tonneau cover is slower now after an OTA a while ago. Never had a failure with the cover.
Still have people coming up to talk about it and look at it.
My 1st EV and Love it!
Have an order for R1S as well.

ElectrifiedOverland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Porsche 911, Mercedes ML350
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

99xx and just experienced my first issue after 2k miles. Drivers side rear halfshaft completely separated from the motor this evening, of course this is just as I was pulling out of the driveway for a weekend in the mountains. Rivian service was very responsive and a human answered on the second ring. A tow and service is set up for Monday, they’re dropping a rental car off at the house tomorrow for my wife since I stole hers for my mountain trip and left her stranded with a broken Rivian. I expected year 1 model 1 issues and I’m happy with how they’ve responded so far.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Here is a positive.
Mine is a Vin xx,18x level with 23K miles... Still going great. Have not had the above issues. Cabin wind noise- some and the tonneau cover is slower now after an OTA a while ago. Never had a failure with the cover.
Still have people coming up to talk about it and look at it.
My 1st EV and Love it!
Have an order for R1S as well.
23K miles.....well played....!!!!

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
99xx and just experienced my first issue after 2k miles. Drivers side rear halfshaft completely separated from the motor this evening, of course this is just as I was pulling out of the driveway for a weekend in the mountains. Rivian service was very responsive and a human answered on the second ring. A tow and service is set up for Monday, they’re dropping a rental car off at the house tomorrow for my wife since I stole hers for my mountain trip and left her stranded with a broken Rivian. I expected year 1 model 1 issues and I’m happy with how they’ve responded so far.
Sorry to hear.
At least it happened at home and at low speed. Glad you are safe.
I don't even want to imagine what would happen if it were to happen at speed.

Sponsored

Pfleegz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hyundai Palisade
Vin 108XX here. A bunch of “smaller issues”. Working with the service advisor to figure out a best course of action.

- panel gaps are excessive on the driver side
- paint pulling away on edges of gear tunnel
- windshield wipers auto feature buggy. Goes off often with no water
- proximity key is horrible
- tailgate won’t drop down (even when parked flat or at incline)
- tailgate wires are uneven. Puts all the weight on 1 side.
- on day 1 I had a “critical battery failure”. They were able to fix that over the air.

None of these impact my love of driving the vehicle. It will take a while to get them all worked out, but I feel ok about that as an early adopter of the product. The biggest thing is that they are responsive and willingness to help and fix everything.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Delivered today - VIN 11xxx

With a couple exceptions, everything is fine. I went over it in depth before accepting delivery, but everything lined up better than I expected from what I've heard, and I haven't had unusual noises/vibrations/issues. Tailgate/hood/tonneau/vents all work, other doors all sit flush and even. The most noise I heard driving felt like it was from the tires themselves except at fully highway speeds, but even there the wind noise felt pretty reasonable.

What I did see is the alignment on the charge port door is incorrect and the paint is damaged on the edge of that door (the plastic panel not the metal body panel), and the roof applique may sit a bit low so its not fully flush with the A pillar (though it does meet the roof cleanly). I noted the charge port door to them before I left so I'm not sure what they'll do.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Many reports of (early VIN) issues such as:

- Died
- Battery needs attention
- Fit and finish (e.g., excessive panel gaps, tiger stripes pain job)
- Uneven or troubled air suspension needing attention
- Others

Much of these things are signed of early production issues. As production matures, with coming down the learning curve, quality improves - both at Rivian and their suppliers.

Just wondering now that production ramp has the VIN well north of 10K, how are new deliveries.

Thanks in advance.

I’m one of the latest VINs and almost immediately after delivery I started having problems with my air suspension.

Otherwise panels are…not aligned. The gaps are inconsistent. Overall, better than the 4 Teslas I’ve had, worse than my F150L but better than some F150Ls I’ve seen. Bad enough for me to notice, not bad enough for me to really care.

Interior fit and finish is pretty bad. Worse than Tesla and the F-150L. We’re not talking alignment, I’ve got rough edges and places that look like it was superglued together. It was rather disappointing as it looks great otherwise, but it seems the latest batch is being rushed and potentially careless.

Otherwise battery has not died (yet) car has not died (yet) tonneau has not died (yet) and is significantly quieter than 3 other R1Ts I’ve played with or the numerous YouTube videos I’ve watched.

Speaking of YouTube videos, I believe I might have a driveline clunk. I heard something but haven’t had the time to diagnose it.

Everything else works as expected and has been great (so far)

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
I’m one of the latest VINs and almost immediately after delivery I started having problems with my air suspension.

Otherwise panels are…not aligned. The gaps are inconsistent. Overall, better than the 4 Teslas I’ve had, worse than my F150L but better than some F150Ls I’ve seen. Bad enough for me to notice, not bad enough for me to really care.

Interior fit and finish is pretty bad. Worse than Tesla and the F-150L. We’re not talking alignment, I’ve got rough edges and places that look like it was superglued together. It was rather disappointing as it looks great otherwise, but it seems the latest batch is being rushed and potentially careless.

Otherwise battery has not died (yet) car has not died (yet) tonneau has not died (yet) and is significantly quieter than 3 other R1Ts I’ve played with or the numerous YouTube videos I’ve watched.

Speaking of YouTube videos, I believe I might have a driveline clunk. I heard something but haven’t had the time to diagnose it.

Everything else works as expected and has been great (so far)
Sorry to hear about all of that! For reference, what's your VIN?