Sponsored

VIN Over 10K - Any Issues Like Early VINs?

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Many reports of (early VIN) issues such as:

- Died
- Battery needs attention
- Fit and finish (e.g., excessive panel gaps, tiger stripes pain job)
- Uneven or troubled air suspension needing attention
- Others

Much of these things are signed of early production issues. As production matures, with coming down the learning curve, quality improves - both at Rivian and their suppliers.

Just wondering now that production ramp has the VIN well north of 10K, how are new deliveries.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

EVerywhere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C8 Corvette, Cayenne, Mk8 GTI, KTM 350-XCFW
Occupation
Technology
Clubs

I’m picking up VIN 108xx on Tuesday, I’ll post a week or so after that.

BT6434

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Couple weeks in I’ve discovered a few very minor things. I’m keeping a list for Service but nothing that needs addressed immediately and nothing that would prevent me from ordering another R1T tomorrow.
Also, in context, nothing I haven’t experienced with other vehicles from “legacy” brands on model years that are in no way new. Keep in mind that forums (a valuable resource) are the place many people go to when they experience a problem. So forums aren’t always a barometer for build quality, regardless of brand/build.

Count this skeptic a believer…Rivian is legit!

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
94XX VIN.

No squeaks, panel gap, or paint issues.

Only issues I have so far is the tailgate doesn't automatically open, and the tonneau cover definitely sounds like it won't last long.

A couple of software bugs that were immediately fixed with a quick reset.

A close friend who owns a Model Y and used to work for Chrysler in their body panel department was blown away by the fit and finish and ride quality. He said his model Y isn't even in the same league.

Grajjie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340i, Ioniq Electric, Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I'll hopefully be picking up my 109xx VIN next week so I will find out. I know Rivian overall improved their QC and I do think they made a change to the tonneau cover to reduce failures.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
They corrected the Zebra Striping issue in LA Silver vehicles.

Here is a shortlist of issues I have been tracking:
Steering wheel wobbles above 60mph
Glass roof breaking
Tonneau cover failing
12v Batts going bad
Seat belt recall
CV joint failures
Loose underbody bolts
Wet spots under driver floor mat
Excess cabin wind noise
Creaking sounds when accelerating
Passenger side lower than driver side

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Are you getting all season floor mats and your key band delivered with the vehicles? I thought I saw some R1S folks with key bands.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Also, front hub bolts loosening and pushing out the center wheel cap.

Rivian R1T R1S VIN Over 10K - Any Issues Like Early VINs? 1662845004558

Sponsored

BT6434

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
@mini2nut @NY_Rob Are those issues your tracking/seeing on 10,000+ VINs or earlier VIN’s?

BT6434

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I think bands are exclusive to Launch Edition. Mine isn’t and I don’t have bands or all-weather mats but the mats are on back order I believe.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

and the tonneau cover definitely sounds like it won't last long
They changed the speed of the motor a few updates ago. It's slower but will likely fault out quicker if it encounters unusual resistance.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Couple weeks in I’ve discovered a few very minor things. I’m keeping a list for Service but nothing that needs addressed immediately and nothing that would prevent me from ordering another R1T tomorrow.
Also, in context, nothing I haven’t experienced with other vehicles from “legacy” brands on model years that are in no way new. Keep in mind that forums (a valuable resource) are the place many people go to when they experience a problem. So forums aren’t always a barometer for build quality, regardless of brand/build.

Count this skeptic a believer…Rivian is legit!
Excellent point. Most reviews are actually heavily biased towards the negative because folks who are aggrieved are much more likely to want to vent about that than folks who are generally satisfied. In fact, usually, you have to be exceptionally satisfied to feel compelled to come and say something positive.

There have been 10 thousand plus deliveries if we believe the latest VIN reports and I suspect only a small, but vocal, fraction are having issues.

That isn't to say in any way that the issues they are experiencing aren't troublesome or justified for them to come here and report/complain about - they are doing everyone a service by doing so - but rather the data points are skewed because we aren't having the folks who are smitten coming here in the same numbers to report the same.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
@mini2nut @NY_Rob Are those issues your tracking/seeing on 10,000+ VINs or earlier VIN’s?
10,000+ VIN's are just being delivered now so not much time for new owners to discover some of the issues yet. But, in that list... most of those issues are still happening even with the newest vehicles.

Take em' one at a time..

-Steering wheel wobbles above 60mph.. still a problem w/no 100% known fix yet (Rivian has mentioned updating to a heavier steering wheel, but that hasn't happened yet).
-Pulling to the right.. out of spec alignment right from the factory- fix requires SC visit
-Glass roof breaking.. still a problem, same thin glass- not fixed
-Tonneau cover failing.. lol.. redesign in progress- no fix available at this time
-12v Batts going bad.. still happening on the newest of trucks- Rivian replaces the two 12V batts as fix
-Seat belt recall... only applied to a limited set of VINs
-CV joint failures.. still happening- replace axle half shaft
-Loose underbody bolts... notices are being sent out to new owners every day- requires SC visit
-Wet spots under driver floor mat.. still happening, cause not yet known- not fixed
-Excess cabin wind noise... still happening- varied "fixes" required depending on cause
-Creaking sounds when accelerating... still happening- known fix is available at the SC
-Passenger side lower than driver side.. still happening- cause unknown so far- not fixed

As far as we know, no major redesigns have been applied to the R1T yet.
Sponsored