First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
I was in touch with them this week and they think there is a solution that will work. I just need to get my R1T to confirm.
Nice, their stuff looks great. I’m trying to figure out the best way to mount a track rail or the like if I tire of the bed pad option. Not a lot of info on what can be done yet.
Sponsored

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
That looks really good. I believe I saw another similar pad being tested on here. I just need one with a wide channel for a large downtube.

Did you make this?

Law

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That looks really good. I believe I saw another similar pad being tested on here. I just need one with a wide channel for a large downtube.

Did you make this?
I did. This one fits a downtube up to 3.25” wide.

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
@Law, I’d buy 4 of those for a GMC Sierra, presuming they could be retrofit. I like how they secure the front wheel and fork and seem to also hold the bike to the bed against any wind and road bumps.

I’d say you have a great device on your hands.

Nice work.

Law

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
@Law, I’d buy 4 of those for a GMC Sierra, presuming they could be retrofit. I like how they secure the front wheel and fork and seem to also hold the bike to the bed against any wind and road bumps.

I’d say you have a great device on your hands.

Nice work.
I have made them for an F-150 in the past. It’s custom and can be made for any truck. I will let you know if I end up producing it.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I have made them for an F-150 in the past. It’s custom and can be made for any truck. I will let you know if I end up producing it.
Count me in for several of these if you ever bring something to market (or want to share specs 🙂).

JoulesVerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
Follow-up on convo about the hitch mounted rack interfering with the tailgate. I spoke to a service center rep and mentioned this. He said there was an employee who made a feature request to make accidental openings less likely. Who knows how the feature will work, or when it will go OTA but it looks like it's on their todo list. Just got to keep the tailgate dent free until then!

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
When I make the next prototype I will make it bigger and see how it works on smaller sizes. Thanks
One idea would be to make it come in pieces where you have the two exterior foam pieces, and then a few say foam pieces varying from 0.5 to 1" thick and a dowel with a clamping mechanism that squeezes all of the pieces together. That would allow for a tight fit for basically any downtube width.

Law

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
One idea would be to make it come in pieces where you have the two exterior foam pieces, and then a few say foam pieces varying from 0.5 to 1" thick and a dowel with a clamping mechanism that squeezes all of the pieces together. That would allow for a tight fit for basically any downtube width.
Thanks, I am already testing out a sytem that will accommodate different sizes. Though I have tested a few smaller downtubes and it still works well, so bigger may just work. Thanks for your thoughts I will check that out as well.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
^That looks tremendous @prestapost. Don't need to open the tailgate either, as most of the bed is reachable from the ground, no?

Another great pic too. Cheers.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
Any other mountain bikers on here?

The R1T seems like the perfect vehicle for it:
  • The bike in the bed, with the gear guard and bed camera for security
  • The frunk for all of the gear I normally carry
  • The gear tunnel for holding a slide out fridge (if it isn't an option, I'll make it myself)
  • The other side of the gear tunnel for holding tools / spares / repair stand / etc
  • An air compressor for keeping bike tires full
  • Ground clearance for remote trailheads
  • Plenty of torque for crossing 12,000 ft mountain passes
  • Room for all of the above plus four adults and four bikes for weekends away or day trips far enough that we carpool
I typically use hitch racks (1up for the last couple of years), and while I won't throw that out, I'll probably switch over to a tailgate pad. It seems like the bed cam and gear guard are pushing in this direction.

The shuttle system mentioned for the camp kitchen seems like it would be useful for tools and the fridge. Like many others, I'm hoping this is sold as a standalone option, of course if Rivian decides to offer the accessories I want, that works for me.

Coming up with a hot water system will also be ideal. I've carried water with 12V pumps in the past for cleaning myself and the bike off, and taking advantage of the battery pack to heat water for doing the same, maybe even with enough water capacity to double as a minimalist outdoor shower, would be worth the effort.

More to come as additional accessories become available over the next few months.

What do you think? Ideas on other accessories or customizations to support mountain biking? If you think the R1S would be better, I don't blame you - I have a large SUV now, and it does have it's advantages. I like being able to carry bikes inside the SUV on long trips and fit a full size air mattress for solo camping.
This can’t beat a Sprinter/Winnebago for comfort. Pull up to the bike park early, get a nice spot, use the bathroom, brush your teeth, cook some breakfast, get dressed standing up, take a nap….
Sponsored