R1T and Mountain Biking

Bigskyinminnie

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc GL450
I am the head coach for a NICA team and will be hauling a lot of gear for races. I went with a 1Up hitch rack since I already had one and it will allow me to close/lock the tonneau to keep loose items secure. The swing arm is the 1Up RakAttach size large. The gear guard cable will fit past the tonneau gasket while it's fully closed. I might have to buy the 14' GG cable to reach 4 bikes but the stock cable will work with 2 bikes.

The only danger is opening the tailgate with the rack under it. Definitely will ding the tailgate.

Here are some pics of the fitment.
PXL_20220408_144421299.jpg

PXL_20220408_144514805.jpg

PXL_20220408_144539025.jpg

PXL_20220408_144601049.jpg
Wow that swing out system is cool. I run a 1up as well and was pretty nervous about dinging the tailgate with bike off.
Did you get "clean parking sensors" messages in the gauge cluster? It would be great to see a bike rack mode that would cut those messages. I haven't tried driver assist with bikes on back yet. In my BMW, the assistance system would freak out with bikes loaded out back.
Sponsored

JoulesVerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
Wow that swing out system is cool. I run a 1up as well and was pretty nervous about dinging the tailgate with bike off.
Did you get "clean parking sensors" messages in the gauge cluster? It would be great to see a bike rack mode that would cut those messages. I haven't tried driver assist with bikes on back yet. In my BMW, the assistance system would freak out with bikes loaded out back.
Yes it's cool, but the possibility of dinging the tailgate is very real! We've had 2 close calls at the race this weekend and the truck is 4 days old. I'm going to ask for a feature to double click the tailgate release button because it's just a matter of time.

The rear sensors are blocked and the rear camera on the bumper is too. I don't get a "clean sensors" error, the sensors just think I'm always about to reverse into an object. Makes the 360 camera vital for reversing. And I'm now turning my head the old fashioned way.

I imagine it will impede the use of Driver Assist but my wife drove the truck to the race and back so I can't say for sure.

The ability to get in and out of the bed with bikes mounted is pretty nice.

Last edited:

State11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Defender D90
I can understand someone thinking of Class 2 e-bikes as a form of "electric motorcycles" because you can ride them without touching the pedals. That said, I've been on my Class 3, following others on their Class 2 bikes and noticed them pedaling the entire time. It may be a very low effort of pedaling, but they were at least going through the motions, which keeps others from bitching about their presence in a bike lane. I think of them more as electric mopeds. Class 1 and Class 3 only function when the rider is pedaling, and the motor runs as an assist, up to 20 mph on C1, and 28 mph on C3.

The basics are covered in this simple display from juicedbikes.com:

EbikeClass-01_1_copy.jpg

The more complete explanation is here:

https://www.juicedbikes.com/pages/e-bike-classifications

To the point @skyote mentioned, everyone who tries mine absolutely falls in love with it. It's not so much being lazy, as it is the chance to get out and ride farther without burning themselves out. More miles for the same or less effort.
I don't understand what just happened! I could've sworn I deleted that post. You are going to have the e-bike guys out for me with pitchforks.....again!

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
I'm planning on using a fork mount rack like the yakima highspeed or thule topride over the bed to over come the bed shortness problem. Am I the only one that doesn't mind taking a wheel off to rack up a bike?
I'm someone that used to MTB a bit and used a hacked up fork mount solution in my Subaru Baja for it's very small bed. It worked fine for me and seems like a fork mount is the ideal solution for the R1T with the factory cross bars. If mounted over the bed you would still have use of the bed & tonneau cover, the question of whether the bike is too longs seems to be solved since you are mounting with the fork and it seems like it would have better aerodynamics too. Am I missing something? Is the only reason I haven't heard about fork mounted systems because of the requirement to remove the wheel (doesn't bother me)? Are there other disadvantages I am overlooking?
The tailgate pad sounds interesting, but what holds the bikes down when you hit bumps, take corners way too fast, etc? Is it just the friction of the bike squished down on the pad? Probably paranoid, but if it wasn't strapped down somehow I would be worried about it - am I worrying about nothing?

Would love to hear the pros & cons of different types of racks (except hitch mounted - I wouldn't trust myself not to do something stupid and damage the truck body). Thanks.

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
By far, best rack I've ever used is a 4 bike one from northshoreracks. I can fit kid bikes and all of my mountain bikes on there quickly. It's built strong versus the lightweight mass produced style of Yakima etc

Sponsored

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
Although we won't get all the benefits a R1T provides for MTBers, I am looking forward to mounting my Evil and my wife.....errrr wife's Orbea Rise on the back of our R1S. If we ever get it :).

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Although we won't get all the benefits a R1T provides for MTBers, I am looking forward to mounting my Evil and my wife.....errrr wife's Orbea Rise on the back of our R1S. If we ever get it :).
The Orbea Rise is a sick bike. If Onwas going to go electric, that was the direction I would have gone. Instead, I decided to got the complete opposite direction and am shopping for a small builder steel Hard Tail.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
The tailgate pad sounds interesting, but what holds the bikes down when you hit bumps, take corners way too fast, etc? Is it just the friction of the bike squished down on the pad? Probably paranoid, but if it wasn't strapped down somehow I would be worried about it - am I worrying about nothing?
Most hitch pads have a velcro strap or similar over the top tube to keep the bike in place, and often some kind of molded groove for the downtube as well to mitigate lateral movement.

It's still probably not super secure if you're really thrashing it in corners or on super rugged roads. Those would be more likely to knock the bikes around and potentially damage your tailgate. I think the ideal use case is probably more "quick run to the trailhead" or "shuttling" vs. long road trips or off-roading. Seems like the fork mount is probably the best bet there.

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I am 99% sure I will be using a hitch rack with a swing out like the RockyMounts BackStage this way I can keep the bikes loaded and still access the bed. Having a bike mode to prevent tailgate opening while the gate is blocked would be great and I'm sure easily doable.

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
Any other mountain bikers on here?

The R1T seems like the perfect vehicle for it:
  • The bike in the bed, with the gear guard and bed camera for security
  • The frunk for all of the gear I normally carry
  • The gear tunnel for holding a slide out fridge (if it isn't an option, I'll make it myself)
  • The other side of the gear tunnel for holding tools / spares / repair stand / etc
  • An air compressor for keeping bike tires full
  • Ground clearance for remote trailheads
  • Plenty of torque for crossing 12,000 ft mountain passes
  • Room for all of the above plus four adults and four bikes for weekends away or day trips far enough that we carpool
I typically use hitch racks (1up for the last couple of years), and while I won't throw that out, I'll probably switch over to a tailgate pad. It seems like the bed cam and gear guard are pushing in this direction.

The shuttle system mentioned for the camp kitchen seems like it would be useful for tools and the fridge. Like many others, I'm hoping this is sold as a standalone option, of course if Rivian decides to offer the accessories I want, that works for me.

Coming up with a hot water system will also be ideal. I've carried water with 12V pumps in the past for cleaning myself and the bike off, and taking advantage of the battery pack to heat water for doing the same, maybe even with enough water capacity to double as a minimalist outdoor shower, would be worth the effort.

More to come as additional accessories become available over the next few months.

What do you think? Ideas on other accessories or customizations to support mountain biking? If you think the R1S would be better, I don't blame you - I have a large SUV now, and it does have it's advantages. I like being able to carry bikes inside the SUV on long trips and fit a full size air mattress for solo camping.
Looking at doing the same. Seems like this rack should fit. https://pipelineracks.com/pages/installation

Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Forgot to charge the Rise yesterday and just hooked up the charger in the bed to the Orbea while on the Thule rack.......

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking hitch mount thule rise spur

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking IMG20220404145853

trevtremaine

First Name
Trev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Model Y - R1T Adventure+MaxPack
Clubs

Has anyone tried the Ride88 racks? https://www.ride88.com/

I'm looking at them and thinking these would be great. The only issue is mounting them inside the bed since there's no fitment included within the bed itself.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Has anyone tried the Ride88 racks? https://www.ride88.com/

I'm looking at them and thinking these would be great. The only issue is mounting them inside the bed since there's no fitment included within the bed itself.
I was in touch with them this week and they think there is a solution that will work. I just need to get my R1T to confirm.

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
I'm all about e-vehicles, but e-bikes are electric motorcycles and are a plague of lazy people. Their riders don't seem to care even if they are banned in certain areas. Further, their riders don't seem to refrain from posting their rides on Strava. Mechanical dopers!
Wow, generalize much? 😂
Sponsored