Sponsored

My 2 cents after 2 weeks

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I go back and forth on this.

I like the more open feel. But it does seems fairly likely that whatever is there will fly around. Is my backpack going to fit there? I don't think so... So then what will I stick there? Will I *ever* use the space other than for my wife to maybe put her purse there? Do I value "white" space that much in the footwell of a truck?

Would I have preferred a pass through bin space like in the hummer had been better with some additional cupholders or a better charger or a confined cubby? Some physical buttons? A more ergonomic area to interact with the vehicle settings?

Design choices. You're not going to make everyone happy. At least it's not both cramped and limited to only one cup holder like the Polestar 2.
Flat floor with an e track/airline rail-esque arrangement for attaching whatever such as: Storage bin? Cup holder? Ronco rotisserie 4 payments of 29.99 plus shipping and handling? 37 more cupholders? Cuckoo clock? NOTHING?

current setup seems highly useful for the sort of stuff that gets tossed in a footwell.
Sponsored

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Really appreciate your thoughts and you have answered a question I had (and worried about) regarding using the gear guard if the tonneau cover is closed.

So, my main use case would involve putting bikes on the crossbars with the bike mounts that RIVIAN sells. In that scenario, if I don't leave the cover open, I guess we have to find other locks.

The other option would be to not fully close the cover.

Does anyone know if you have control over how much of the cover is left open/closed? Is it an all or none motion or can you "pulse" the switch?
Yes, like the OP mentioned, you can just leave the tonneau cover cracked a half inch open to allow for the GG cable, but this really cuts down in the length of the cable for that run to wrap around your bikes/gear. When I was at the Denver open house the employee said that they are working on offering for sale in the gear shop a longer gear guard cable precisely for this scenario or if you really need a long run.

swflorida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vespa GTS 300, XC90
Occupation
Portfolio Manager
Like many others, I thought I would post my thoughts.

Just wrapped my El Cap matte and posted here so take a look.

PROS- Build quality is solid; doors close with a solid thunk and I honestly believe the car is worth what they are asking given post March 1st price adjustments (90k for my R1T). The bed material is tough and durable and overall I am very happy with the purchase. I'm replacing a tundra and an S8 with this truck.

Suspension is one of the best features. Smooth, adjustable.

Cabin is quiet and comfortable with firm seats (my preference). The sound system is awesome.

All weather mats fit great; people were talking about weather tech; I don't see them doing any better and these match the color/logo of the vehicle.

My cargo crossbars fit well and don't wobble.

The tinted glass roof is great; gives an open air sensation and makes the cabin feel larger. I'm betting it'll be hot during Texas summers though so a vent near the roof might keep your head from cooking. Also, my tint guy said you can't tint the roof as it may cause the glass to crack- others have posted the same here.

CONS-
1. Gear guard lock is only available inside the bed space. So if you have a tonneau and want to keep it closed, you can't secure gear on the cargo crossbars. This could be fixed by adding gear locks along the top surface of the bed near the cab. This would allow locking of anything on the roof or over the bed.

2. Screen layout- most of the "buttons" are on the bottom edge and you have to open a menu to see the remaining buttons. Personally, I'd like to see some buttons along the drivers side of the screen or along the top- your eyes won't have to stray from the road as long.

Also, when entering an address, the keyboard is similar to a conventional keyboard in that the numbers are closer to the passenger, not the driver. Almost any address starts with numbers so this should be closer to the driver.

3. The seams on the vehicle are still a bit un-even. I'm sure this will improve with time.

4. Driver+ Adequate for cruising on a highway with minimal traffic; not great for much else. It keeps getting confused and requiring intervention anytime you pass an exit and any seams, cracks or other lines along the road confuse it.

5. Range- Drove to houston this weekend and the predicted range did not drop with speed. Basically, the faster you go, the less efficient the vehicle and the predicted range should drop; it didn't and this almost led to a problem.

6. Camp speaker is a bit tinny. Probably designed for longevity and not sound quality.

7. When ordering, you have the option of adding a full size spare- what isn't clear is that no spare tire is included if you don't select this option.

8. I worry about the tonneau cover. First minor dent from something dropped, and i'm betting on a dent that will impair function.

9. A USB connection near the rear mirror would allow power to a radar detector and such.

10. The charging pad is an utter fail. I have an Iphone 13 with a case- too thick to even charge. Even then, you need cross hairs to line up your phone for charging. First time you hit the brakes or hit a bump, charging is done.

My thoughts-
J
Can you disable the wireless charging feature?

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
Like many others, I thought I would post my thoughts.

Just wrapped my El Cap matte and posted here so take a look.

PROS- Build quality is solid; doors close with a solid thunk and I honestly believe the car is worth what they are asking given post March 1st price adjustments (90k for my R1T). The bed material is tough and durable and overall I am very happy with the purchase. I'm replacing a tundra and an S8 with this truck.

Suspension is one of the best features. Smooth, adjustable.

Cabin is quiet and comfortable with firm seats (my preference). The sound system is awesome.

All weather mats fit great; people were talking about weather tech; I don't see them doing any better and these match the color/logo of the vehicle.

My cargo crossbars fit well and don't wobble.

The tinted glass roof is great; gives an open air sensation and makes the cabin feel larger. I'm betting it'll be hot during Texas summers though so a vent near the roof might keep your head from cooking. Also, my tint guy said you can't tint the roof as it may cause the glass to crack- others have posted the same here.

CONS-
1. Gear guard lock is only available inside the bed space. So if you have a tonneau and want to keep it closed, you can't secure gear on the cargo crossbars. This could be fixed by adding gear locks along the top surface of the bed near the cab. This would allow locking of anything on the roof or over the bed.
Lucky you on this issue. I could
live easily with all of the niggling minor problems that get brought up, most that I’m sure that will improve with OTA updates but the misaligned passenger door and resulting wind noise is bad. Here’s to hoping there is a fix for that.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I also prefer the open space in the center floor area. For those of you that don't, the aftermarket will have a solution. I'm glad they did it this way, because if you do it the other way there is no aftermarket potential solution to make it more open if I wanted that.

EDIT: Also, re charging pads - this isn't unique to Rivian. The pad in my Defender is awful. It constantly starts/stops charging and makes my phone beep. My phone *is not in a case at all*. It also can't FIT my phone in a case, hence why it's not in one, since even tho the charging doesn't work for shit I still like keeping my phone in that spot.

Anyway, wireless charging in a moving vehicle in a way that accommodates any current phone and all future phones is apparently pretty hard. I'm just glad the Rivian's charge shelf is big enough for two phones even if the charging isn't great, since my Defender barely fits one phone in the slot.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Thanks for the thoughts on all, very helpful.

I had my first experience last week with a vehicle charging pad in a rental Suburban. I just got an iPhone 13 with a heavy/strong UAG case. I could not get it to work in the Suburban, no way, no how. Is this a common issue across many vehicles? Works OK on a charging pad at home.
I had a brand new rental Suburban in March. Same issue. Charging pad did not work well with my iPhone or my colleagues.

To the OP, some of the cons are definitely personal preference and not necessarily issues with the vehicle, but it’s good feedback none the less.

I see a lot of comments and threads and comments on Driver+ and RJ has said multiple times they are not striving for full autonomous driving. He has made this clear. It be interesting to see how it develops.

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
This is an interesting thought and I love the idea of the locks also being on top.

Driver+ Adequate for cruising on a highway with minimal traffic; not great for much else. It keeps getting confused and requiring intervention anytime you pass an exit and any seams, cracks or other lines along the road confuse it.
I can't figure out how to use Driver+ lol

Camp speaker is a bit tinny. Probably designed for longevity and not sound quality.
Love the camp speaker, I think it has great sound and super loud/clear. Only thing I don't love about it is I wish the light was brighter but that's no big deal.

The charging pad is an utter fail. I have an Iphone 13 with a case- too thick to even charge. Even then, you need cross hairs to line up your phone for charging. First time you hit the brakes or hit a bump, charging is done.
Agree on this, wish there was a magnetic component.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Anyway, wireless charging in a moving vehicle in a way that accommodates any current phone and all future phones is apparently pretty hard. I'm just glad the Rivian's charge shelf is big enough for two phones even if the charging isn't great, since my Defender barely fits one phone in the slot.
It works excellently in my polestar both when I had a bigass Samsung and with my iPhone 13. The charging pad slants your phone away from you at an angle where acceleration can’t move it backwards and hard braking doesn’t provide enough force to tilt it off the pad. You also can’t look at your phone which is nice I think - a bonus but only if the integration is good enough.
It’s not hard it just takes the design not being a afterthought feature.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yes, in a vehicle meant to be bouncing around along off road trails or zipping around curves on road, you'd think the R1T of all vehicles would have something to hold the phone in place without shifting. I'm thinking a third party solution will present itself in due time.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Yes, like the OP mentioned, you can just leave the tonneau cover cracked a half inch open to allow for the GG cable, but this really cuts down in the length of the cable for that run to wrap around your bikes/gear. When I was at the Denver open house the employee said that they are working on offering for sale in the gear shop a longer gear guard cable precisely for this scenario or if you really need a long run.
I just tested this out. Cover can close all the way on the cable, just barely long enough to make it through the rear triangle on one bike. If it were slightly longer, might be able to jam it in the void space next to where it closes, but it isn't long enough for that as is.

Rivian R1T R1S My 2 cents after 2 weeks PXL_20220412_155059739

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just tested this out. Cover can close all the way on the cable, just barely long enough to make it through the rear triangle on one bike. If it were slightly longer, might be able to jam it in the void space next to where it closes, but it isn't long enough for that as is.

PXL_20220412_155059739.jpg
This is good to see!
also it appears Rivian willl gladly sell you a longer 14ft cable for a mere $100

https://rivian.com/gear-shop/p/extended-length-gear-guard-cable

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

PXL_20220412_155059739.jpg
This is good to see!
also it appears Rivian willl gladly sell you a longer 14ft cable for a mere $100

https://rivian.com/gear-shop/p/extended-length-gear-guard-cable
You can also attach just one end and loop the cable through itself on the other end in order to reach further out.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You can also attach just one end and loop the cable through itself on the other end in order to reach further out.
That's a good point, but makes me wonder if the truck can actually detect if the cable is cut, or if it's strictly just a cable lock. Honestly have no idea, was just making an assumption about the capability. If it can't detect that it was cut, it's somewhat useless to me.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
That's a good point, but makes me wonder if the truck can actually detect if the cable is cut, or if it's strictly just a cable lock.
It's just a 'dumb' cable lock. It cannot detect a cut, but can detect a tamper if the mount point is moved.
Sponsored